Hood To Coast

So on here we have a confirmation of Rick, Chris, John, Lomad, Chelsea and Janson. On Facebook, we have a confirmation from Dan, Jim, Kevin, Katherine - waiting on to hear from Josh and Suzanne. So if Josh and Suzanne say yes we have 12, barely -and we know statistically not all 12 will be able to do it when the time comes. I would prefer everyone have their own backup, or we only apply for a team of 8. Just saying.

Money is the most important subject, next to availability. "If" we were actually able to pull off a team of 12 you would all have to cough up a minimum of $175/per person coughed up by midnight of October 9th (less than a month away). So, are you all able to do that? Rick, Chris, John, Lomad, Chelsea, and Janson?

Yes, just send me a PM so I can give you my personal details in private.;)

Jen, you will make a great leader. One idea is to have a large list of alternates. I'll try my hardest to get there, but you never know what life will throw at you. I understand that the fee will be non-refundable.

Lomad - even though you will be on a different team, we better have a beer at the finish line (providing that my wife will be able to drive up there).

Reactions: jldeleon
As much as I would LOVE to say I'm a definite yes, I'm more than likely a no. :( I'll be in the PNW this Christmas and in Wisconsin this coming summer. If I could swing the dates right, I could possibly catch a flight from Madison to PDX for the weekend...but that's a whole lotta maybe. If you could put me on the long list of alternates, that'd be swell. :p

Would anyone be interested in doing the Cascade Lakes Relay instead of HtC?
CLR is in central Oregon (finishing in Bend) in early August. Fewer than 3,000 runners over a similar distance to HtC with over 12,000 runners and abysmal traffic. Not as insanely crowded, easier to get into, same format (12 runners, 3 legs each), and 'probably' cheaper. Eh?
http://www.cascadelakesrelay.com/

Yes, just send me a PM so I can give you my personal details in private.;)

Jen, you will make a great leader. One idea is to have a large list of alternates. I'll try my hardest to get there, but you never know what life will throw at you. I understand that the fee will be non-refundable.

Lomad - even though you will be on a different team, we better have a beer at the finish line (providing that my wife will be able to drive up there).

Mmmmmm...private. Heh heh heh. I'll have to think up something to make you spit your coffee out, again. :D

CLR is in central Oregon (finishing in Bend) in early August. Fewer than 3,000 runners over a similar distance to HtC with over 12,000 runners and abysmal traffic. Not as insanely crowded, easier to get into, same format (12 runners, 3 legs each), and 'probably' cheaper. Eh?

Good question. What do the rest of you think?

I did both this year (don't recommend the double. It was rough). Cost-wise, they're about the same. Atmosphere-wise Cascade Lakes is mellower, and most runners were friendlier (in my opinion). From a bfr perspective CLR may be tougher. It's hotter, there is a lot of off road/fire road/forest service road on the course with soft silt layered over sneaker rocks, and some of the paved toads are in rough shape.

Rick- Beers for sure at the finish!

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
A fellow BFR-er who just did this in another group was nice enough to inform me that just registration cost should be paid now. Which this year is $110 per person, and then get the rest of the money over the course of the year. GREAT idea. I haven't poked around the site yet to figure out the exact cost for 2013. But I will. I just wanted to throw out doing the payment part that way would be a lot easier on everyone's wallets. Muah-ha-haaa!!!

Besides, must roadkill Lomad, must roadkill Lomad, must roadkill Lomad. :)

Not nearly as hard as you might think. My leg paces in this years race were: First leg (leg 3, 4 miles all downhill. fresh legs) 8:04/mile; Second leg (Leg 15, 7.25 miles rolling hills, 12 hours later and kinda tired) 10:24/mile; Third leg (Leg 27, 6 miles rolling hills on a crazily busted up road with the steepest camber in the history of roads..I'd swear it was a 45 degree drop from center line to shoulder, 5:30 the next morning on dead legs with 1.4 hours sleep in the last 30 hours) 11:04/mile. Morale to this story? All will slow down through the race...Even the speedsters in my van were struggling (relative to normal performance) by the late legs. Also, you can totally catch me, run back and catch me again by the time the third leg comes around.

Reactions: NickW
Tim, glad to see you changed your sig line thingy again and are now in minimalistish type shoes again. I'm working on getting there again myself. Weird thing though, I can stand on carpet or rugs in the house barefoot just fine, standing on tile however hurts the bejesus out of me though... Not sure I will be able to get completely barefoot again.

Not nearly as hard as you might think. My leg paces in this years race were: First leg (leg 3, 4 miles all downhill. fresh legs) 8:04/mile; Second leg (Leg 15, 7.25 miles rolling hills, 12 hours later and kinda tired) 10:24/mile; Third leg (Leg 27, 6 miles rolling hills on a crazily busted up road with the steepest camber in the history of roads..I'd swear it was a 45 degree drop from center line to shoulder, 5:30 the next morning on dead legs with 1.4 hours sleep in the last 30 hours) 11:04/mile. Morale to this story? All will slow down through the race...Even the speedsters in my van were struggling (relative to normal performance) by the late legs. Also, you can totally catch me, run back and catch me again by the time the third leg comes around.
I was thinking, with 12,000 runners what are the odds of even seeing you on the course. Be thinking of a crazy outfit to wear. Otherwise, we will just look for the guy that heckles us the most.

What's up Nick, are you ok? Still the PF?
Ya, same stuff just different month. Haven't really run much the last month or so. Wife tried to lay down a ban on running for me until I go get a second opinion from a new podiatrist after the 10k race I did last week and ended up not able to walk a few hours later. I am really trying to work on rolling and stretching and massaging to see if I can help myself out, but still a bit tender just to walk around or even stand for that matter (depending on ground surface, carpet is fairly easy to stand on while harder surfaces like tile hurt pretty bad).

If the decision was based on beer alone, I would go with the Cascade relay. Bend = Deschutes Brewery

Unfortunately, I must weigh other factors like timing. I think the Cascade relay would be too early in August to match my work schedule. So, I am in for Hood to Coast.

Besides, must roadkill Lomad, must roadkill Lomad, must roadkill Lomad. :)

Well we can't run without a Rick, so Hood to Coast it is then!!! :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11