Hood To Coast

I could never run one of these. I guess there are pre-qualifications in speed - so I've heard. I don't do speed, so it would never happen.

Jen-- not at all. All you have to do is give your pace for a 10K so they can estimate total team finishing time. No one is eliminated from participating based on pace; your total team pace numbers dictate the start time to give the best chance of beating the finish cutoff time. Additionally, if you end up slow as a team the race officials will do things th speed you up (skipping ahead a leg, running concurrently so both vans may be on the course, etc.). My team had everything from 6:30 minute milers to 12-13 minute milers in the mix. Don't let that hold you back. Relaying is a lot of fun.

Rick- The idle van time passes quickly; there is so much going on, and if you're on a team of friends/fun people it's like a rolling mini-party most of the time. I did two relays this summer and loved it. I think I'm only doing one nexxt year though, Ragnar NW Passage; it is an area I haven't seen much of so it'll be fun. And, it's with the same team I ran H2C with and i love that team...

I would love to be on a BRS team! I just don't know where I'll be next year, so I don't think I'm the one to be the team leader and sign up and stuff. Btw, I heard also that if teams raise a certain amount of money for charity, they automatically get in and bypass the lottery. But yeah, registration is one day only, and will max out.

Reactions: jldeleon
Jen-- not at all. All you have to do is give your pace for a 10K so they can estimate total team finishing time. No one is eliminated from participating based on pace; your total team pace numbers dictate the start time to give the best chance of beating the finish cutoff time. Additionally, if you end up slow as a team the race officials will do things th speed you up (skipping ahead a leg, running concurrently so both vans may be on the course, etc.). My team had everything from 6:30 minute milers to 12-13 minute milers in the mix. Don't let that hold you back. Relaying is a lot of fun.

Rick- The idle van time passes quickly; there is so much going on, and if you're on a team of friends/fun people it's like a rolling mini-party most of the time. I did two relays this summer and loved it. I think I'm only doing one nexxt year though, Ragnar NW Passage; it is an area I haven't seen much of so it'll be fun. And, it's with the same team I ran H2C with and i love that team...

Ahhhh, I see. Well I will subconsciously think about that. Which is better than unconsciously thinking about it. ;) My other whiny problem is I need sleep. I sleep with a noise machine, earplugs, and drug myself to sleep. And I still am easily woken up. "Idle van time" -HAH! I bet no one gets ANY sleep on these things. Lol.

So is this BRS team going to happen? I would have nominated John or Lomad to be leader, but they just stated otherwise. Anyone else?

So would my biggest challenge be getting work off? No. Would it be coming up with the cost of travel or race fees? No. Would it be staying injury free and running well to not disappoint my teammates? No.
It would be staying away from all of that good Oregon beer so I could finish all of my legs. Unless Nick would push me in his jogger stroller for my last leg.:)

Anyway, someone step up, I would love to come up there and meet you guys.

Reactions: NickW and dutchie53
I will organize it. I won't run it. But I'll drive the van!!! :) Hmmm, I see my plan to get a life outside of barefoot running is not going very well. Lol.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
No captain job for me. I captained my Cascade Lakes team this year; it was great and not too much to manage, but my personality is a bit mother-hen, and I was a stress ball the entire relay, worried about runners on the road, making transitions, and the rules.

Like I said, for those considering, it isn't a hard job, but it can be time consuming. Plus there are a lot of deadlines to manage leading up to the race.

So on here we have a confirmation of Rick, Chris, John, Lomad, Chelsea and Janson. On Facebook, we have a confirmation from Dan, Jim, Kevin, Katherine - waiting on to hear from Josh and Suzanne. So if Josh and Suzanne say yes we have 12, barely -and we know statistically not all 12 will be able to do it when the time comes. I would prefer everyone have their own backup, or we only apply for a team of 8. Just saying.

Money is the most important subject, next to availability. "If" we were actually able to pull off a team of 12 you would all have to cough up a minimum of $175/per person coughed up by midnight of October 9th (less than a month away). So, are you all able to do that? Rick, Chris, John, Lomad, Chelsea, and Janson?

Jen, Do you work for the Draft board? ;)

Sorry, I am a 'no' for the BRS hood to coast experience. For two main reasons: 1. I'm running Ragnar instead, and 2. My team from this year pre-qualified and bypassed the lottery by hitting our projected finish time. If any team has draft rights to me, it's them. I'll smile, wave and heckle you all, though!

Reactions: jldeleon
Jen, Do you work for the Draft board? ;)

Sorry, I am a 'no' for the BRS hood to coast experience. For two main reasons: 1. I'm running Ragnar instead, and 2. My team from this year pre-qualified and bypassed the lottery by hitting our projected finish time. If any team has draft rights to me, it's them. I'll smile, wave and heckle you all, though!

It's called being, "Voluntold" -it's the latest term ;) It happens to me at work all the time.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Lomad
can you really heckle someone who's passin you???:confused: