Healing a Cut

Looking for advice about how to heal a small cut on the sole of my foot - and keep running barefoot. (I think I already have the answer to this, but it would help me to talk it out. So please bear with me.)

About five weeks ago, I ran over a sharp stone, bruising the center of the ball of my right foot, and also got a small cut there. Got home, cleaned the area, and applied polysporin.

I kept to my training schedule for the marathon that was coming up coming up three weeks later, but was forced to do both my training and the marathon in my VFFs in order to allow the cut to heal.

After the marathon, I went back to barefoot runs. The bruising had almost entirely gone, and the cut had healed. The skin around the cut had healed too, but was still a little bit thin . I had a good week's barefoot running, got back up to 15K barefoot, and then the small cut opened up again.

I've got a 50K coming up in about two weeks, so am back to running in VFFs in order to keep my distance up.

Common sense says that the answer is to run in VFFs (i.e., with some protection), until the cut heals over really well. Then start again slowly, with short distances, and not push things until the skin on the ball of my foot is not only healed but nicely conditioned.

I know that. But.

I want to run barefoot. Running keeps me sane, but running barefoot makes me saner - and happier. I don't want to run in VFFs any longer or more often than I have to.

So my question is... Is there any else I can do/might do/could do - besides being very, very patient - that will help me get back to barefooting as quickly as possible?

Alan

superglue it

superglue it

yes...if that idea makes you

yes...if that idea makes you queesy, you can always by "derma bond" at the pharmacy....it's the same stuff :)....just make sure you clean it first, so you don't "trap" anything in it....I am huge fan of just pouring rubbing alcohol on any cut or abrasion. Kills everything. Drys fast too....then just put a little glue on it. Also, if I am getting a "soft spot" due to my propensity to over train, I'll make a small "film" of super glue over that spot...still can condition the skin undernieth it while giving just a little protection :). It works for me....might work for you.

But I'm not a Dr.  Should

But I'm not a Dr. Should probably listen to him :-D

The idea of using superglue

The idea of using superglue (or derma bond) doesn't make me queasy. So I'll keep your solution in mind.

Thanks!

Alan

I second the super glue idea

I second the super glue idea and have used it many times on myself and my family when it comes to smaller cuts. From what I remember, it has been used since the Vietnam War to close battle wounds. Only reason it wasn't marketed for medical purposes until recently (under different name brands) is because it was not approved by the FDA due to some of the earlier varieties causing skin irritation.

So as long as the cut is not infected or dirty it is what I would use.

Thanks for all the comments,

Thanks for all the comments, folks!

I'm going to give Krazy Glue a try on a short run tomorrow, and see how it holds up.

Alan

I was going to suggest

I was going to suggest NuSkin, sort of like Super Glue, but made for the skin like DermaBond. You can get it in the pharmacy with the bandages. Like Doc says, I don't know how well it will hold up on the bottom of the feet though. Since there will no doubt be a lot of contact with the ground, it's bound to wear off easily. You could always carry a tube with you and reapply as needed. Shouldn't take too long, since it is fast drying. If the cut were in the arch of the foot, it would probably last longer, especially if you are not flat-footed.

In addition to that, I would run in a pair of socks for now. Socks are the CLOSEST thing you can get to barefoot. (Buy from the Dollar Store; will last about five 5-mile runs each.)You can feel the surface so much more than in minimalist shoes. Just make sure they are not too loose. I'm not thinking they will offer much in the way of protection from germs, since they are going to absorb the sweat and bacteria from your feet, but since you find comfort in VFFs, you're bound to find some comfort in socks,; and I would also think your feet can breathe a little better in socks than in VFFs, which may help speed the healing as well.

I applied some Krazy Glue to

I applied some Krazy Glue to the area last night, and did an 8K barefoot run this morning. All good!

The glue did wear off a little bit, so I think I'll re-apply it before my next run. But so far, so good.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I've learned a lot!

Alan

yeah, if I use it, I do it

yeah, if I use it, I do it right before a run :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts