Harvard research shared by ambulance chaser on our FB page

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Well, after a brief read it looks like they are all cases of TMTS syndrome. Most of the injuries came about 3-4 months after starting. Most were running around 20miles/week (not sure if this was while in minimalist shoes or beforehand). If they were running these distances in minimalist shoes only a few months after changing over then they are overconfident fools. As they predominantly appear to be men, who by nature are greater risk takers, they obviously thought it would be easy to just grab a pair of minimal shoes and run without having any idea on running form and strengthening. I am always amazed at what people will do. I budgeted a year to make improvements in my running when I gave up shoes. It took longer. The information is available to these people but they refuse to learn from those that have already gone through this kind of thing.
I have no problem with the study itself.

Neil

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Would you mind sharing that with our main Facebook page, Neil? (I so would rather have content created here to grow the BRS, but sometimes, we encounter a fool.) Check out what I am saying here: www.facebook.com/barefootrunnerssociety The post byDaniel Tighe (Ambulance Chaser, er uh, lawyer looking for new clients to sue Vibram)Training in "Barefoot style" running shoes leads to injuries! Read my comments too. (You might have to click on Posts by Others, not sure.)

And anyone else who would like to back me up there, please do.

The one thing I notice, this paper seems to treat "transition" as the moment when you take off the clunkers and put on minshoes. This is highly incorrect as we all know here. Just because you change to a minshoe does not mean you muscles or bones have transitioned. It can take up to a couple years for ones body to fully transition. Are academics ever going to get it?

I can't find this on the FB page (nothing new there, I can never find anything on those ridiculous timelines....).

Thanks to the two who have posted. Willie just do a search on your page for keywords "ambulance" and "chaser." Ha!

Here's the comments thus far. He's a lawyer. I checked. He's recruiting people to help him sue under the "guise" of just wanting to help, and three people have already "liked" his comments. Sick.

• Daniel Tighe
    Training in "Barefoot style" running shoes leads to injuries!

If you or any of your friends that have been hurt using the new minimalist or “barefoot” running shoes. A lot of people have suffered leg injuries during their transition from normal shoes to the “barefoot” shoes due to the change in gait that the shoes require.

A recent Harvard study has come out showing that the “barefoot” shoes a...See More
    Like · · Thursday at 5:04pm
    • Jennifer Roccanti likes this.

• Barefoot Runners Society What are you? An ambulance chaser? Who else did you spam? You have a responsibility to provide more concrete info than the vanilla plea you've posted above. Follow up with the exact link to the exact verbiage in the research you are talking about along with a list of those "many of the major brands selling barefoot shoes" being sued you are referring to. With that said, have you thought about perhaps suing all the many, many, many brand name boat anchor, foot-coffin shoe companies out there who have destroyed our feet due to their false promises and their false advertisements? Why go after just the minshoe companies? Seriously. -TJ
        Thursday at 8:47pm · Like

• Daniel Tighe http://x1law.com/training-in-barefo...s-injuries/harvard-study-on-minimalist-shoes/
        Yesterday at 1:30pm · Like

• Daniel Tighe Just trying to help. There is a difference between false advertising claims and whatever you are referring to as "ambulance chasing." I am not against barefoot running, i am staunchly against corporations using the success that some proficient runners experience running barefoot or in minimalist shoes to try to sell inexperienced and unsuspecting consumers footwear that may end up causing them more harm than good.
        Yesterday at 1:36pm · Like · 2

• Barefoot Runners Society And what about the big foot coffins that have damaged so many with their false claims? Care to jump on that bandwagon? -TJ
        13 hours ago · Like

• Barefoot Runners Society Not defending ANY shoe companies here, but if we are going to go after one extreme, we should go after the other as well. Still looking for the exact verbiage inside your link of 5 pages. And that list?
        12 hours ago · Like

• Neil Donaldson Well, after a brief read it looks like they are all cases of TMTS syndrome. Most of the injuries came about 3-4 months after starting. Most were running around 20miles/week (not sure if this was while in minimalist shoes or beforehand). If they were running these distances in minimalist shoes only a few months after changing over then they are overconfident fools. As they predominantly appear to be men, who by nature are greater risk takers, they obviously thought it would be easy to just grab a pair of minimal shoes and run without having any idea on running form and strengthening. I am always amazed at what people will do. I budgeted a year to make improvements in my running when I gave up shoes. It took longer. The information is available to these people but they refuse to learn from those that have already gone through this kind of thing.
        I have no problem with the study itself, it is merely reporting that the people who got injured were not running correctly. Running in western shoe wearing society is a skill that has to be re-learned. It takes much much longer than 4 months to retrain the brain to run in the barefoot style despite what some people think.
        7 hours ago · Unlike · 1

• Mike Roccanti Agree! After 2+ years of transitioning to barefoot running, I am just now back up to my original 9 mile training runs. It takes patience and a commitment to barefoot running to do it right.
        5 hours ago · Unlike · 1

Reactions: Bare Lee
Loves it! Thanks, Willie. I mean seriously. It's all the minshoe companies fault why people are getting injured?! It infuriates me. No one seems to care about what the traditional, conventional boat anchor foot coffins have done to us over the past 30 or so years. And you all know what they have done to me. Let's just go after the newest in running shoes. Give me a break! This guy posting this crap on our site is just an ambulance chaser looking to make money off the latest law suit. It sickens me. Legitimate lawyers don't have to hunt down clients; clients come to them. I asked him if he spammed any of the other pages too.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I was worked up before I read the "study" - but then I clicked on the link. Criminy! That seems like a HORRIBLE study! The longest transition time is 2 months?

OK - go beyond that. Then we look at the fact Mr. Daniel T posts that (to this amateur mind) bogus study on *his* website then he claims he is here "just trying to help".

Gag.

Jim

P.S.: I commented too. :)

Thank you, Hasel! You're good peeps too!

What is interesting, I didn't put this on the page was that it seems an odd study that in that if these people approached the study writers without and injury and then got injured while taking part in the study or were they injured and then sought out the study writers. If it was the former then could the study writers have been encouraging the the participants to continue their former distances but with minimalist shoes, if so this would be highly irresponsible on their part. If they were already injured when they came to the study then the study didn't have proper data on what the participants were doing beforehand except for the evidence from the participant. For all we know they could have dropped a weight on their foot at the gym and said it was a barefoot running injury.

Neil

You guys who haven't shared over at our main BRS FB on that thread, please do. I think you make some really valid points that need to be shared there. Thanks!

"Conclusion: Injuries including stress fractures and plantar fascia rupture have been observed in minimalist runners."
Wow...that's a powerful conclusion o_O ....that's like concluding that injuries such as carpel-tunnel have been observed in secretaries. This study only concludes an observation.....no causation.......hhhmmm....I wonder why :barefoot: