Happy 2nd Birthday Barefoot Runners Society! By Nyal Davidsson

brs2ndbirthday2a.jpg

Happy 2nd Birthday Barefoot Runners Society!By Nyal Davidsson
Once upon a time, a group of passionate runners set out to change the running world in the only way they knew how – one odd look at a time. At the inception of the Barefoot Runners Society, the community boasted limited numbers, limited opportunities for those preferring naked feet in order to streak with their soul mates, and a small, yet growing set of online resources. Many regarded the recently emergent Born to Run to be a bible, from which to draw inspiration, and huaraches to be unimaginably exotic.

BRSMascot2.jpg
The story of the following two years is filled, perhaps stuffed with fortuitous happenings – an incredible blossoming of a vibrant online community, the conception and execution of the first ever International Barefoot Running Day, an advancement of technique, training, and feedback which stands unparalleled among sport related groups anywhere. We started on the bottom floor of the building, madly punched a myriad of random buttons, and cheered as the elevator made our bellies feel that tingly feeling. I am presented with a large menu of achievements to explore as I write this celebratory article. In just two short years, the BRS has grown to over 3,600 registered members, 4,500 fans, nearly 90 chapter clubs, and receives approximately 2 million hits on its site each month. BRS, we truly are proud of you!

A striking aspect of the movement turns my thoughts to the inescapable fact that the greatest milestone we have achieved is wholly unremarkable. We have mastered unremarkability!

Before the Barefoot Runners Society, when I stepped outside the door to run, people noticed my Emperor’s footwear quickly. So quickly, at times, they would often hurt their necks or drive on someone's lawn. Folks found the idea novel, completely eccentric. Now, after these two years what do I get? One guy just waved at me. A nice lady stopped to chat about how much she loved being barefoot as a child. Another person walking his dog talked about how he knew someone who had those “toe shoes.” People know what we are doing, why we are doing it, and generally are not shocked, surprised, offended, or aroused by our feet. What a way to take all the fun out of it!

BRSMascotSetup.jpg
I am quite certain, as we pass the second mile of a thousand mile journey, our ability to increasingly blend into the wider background of the running world will only be exceeded by the smug satisfaction we should be feeling as we realize that barefoot running is not a fad. We didn't break our feet. We failed to grow tired of being stared at. We never did put those “toe shoes” a bit further back into the closet and bind our feet, Han style, in trainers. The anticipated exodus back into the shod herd remains a vain hope of those who are wracked with bare feet envy. We've put a lot of miles onto our soles, experimented with minimalist footwear, organized world-record shattering races and accomplishments, met friends and downed a few, and best of all have yet to find that mythic hypodermic needle protruding from our vulnerable tootsies.

Once upon a time, another year passed for our beloved Barefoot Runners Society, and we still strive to attain the best of form and the best of times. We still relish the thought of heading out, into the rain to find the squishiest of mud puddles, the coolest of concretes, and the smoothest of journeys. We are still changing the running world – one odd look at a time.

To reminisce over the first year anniversary, seeHappy Birthday, BRS! You Are One Year Old Today!!!! By Nyal Davidsson.

Article written by Nyal Davidsson, BRS Member (Nyal)Artwork created by Daniel Martinek, BRS Member(Paraganek)araThanks Nyal and Daniel! You guys rock!

Great write up. We are becoming main stream. I attended a conference on the weekend, which was all about barefoot running. 150 people attended. It was put on by a localpedorthists company. They provided an informative and balanced discussion about barefoot running. I wore my BRS shirt and fielded questions. There may have been only a handful of runners that run using the natural running mechancis, but interest was high.

Happy 2nd Birthday BRS ... thank you for being there!

Thanks for building and maintaining this resource. It is amazing and wonderful to find like-minded humans who don't mind being the wierdos in the room. Much love to all you barefooters!