Haglund's Deformity

Oriya

Barefooters
Aug 1, 2014
Hi I am Oriya From Perth Western Australia
I am suffering from Haglund's deformity since March 2010.

I used to wear proper running Shoe (well known brands) hardly ever felt comfortable to wear socks, so most of the time ran without them .
I ran a lot in Sand Dunes and at some stage I felt the back of both my heels rubbing against the inside of back of shoe up until the blisters were so bad that I was bleeding , I had to tape the area before every run so it wont rub...and before trying on new shoe for a run I would tap the spot in advance even if the skin seem to be healing .
A First thing in the morning pain was also a sign of something wrong , but I just kept on going.
After year or so The spots at the back of both my heels became tender by the touch , even later on when I was no longer training that hard due to family life obligations.

March 2010 a constant pain & limping on left foot :Sport Dr who I have seen first , said that the problem was there for long , just waiting to be triggered by unusual event , with wearing the wrong shoe .

I was given cortisone injections over 2 month period 3 times a week ~It Didn’t help at all and I have notice the Pump Bump spot became bigger since.

I have tried nearly everything but to avoid the Operation which can result of me not being able to run at all .
I have tried :
Acupuncture
PT
Podiatry- We have done lots of trial of insole before Custom made , but i never felt good at the back of the heel with shoe.
Shock Wave

I eventualy considered operation But the Surgeon Advised me Not to , as it may result with a long healing and maybe I wont be able to run anymore . So Instead the Hospital provided me more PT , combine with Graston session I booked with
Chiropractor , things improved a bit .

Late 2012 I found about the book “Barefoot running step by step” In no time I began walking barefoot , cycling and running barefoot and even was able to run up to 2 hours slow.
I cant run with my Xero Sandals But its ok for walking in places that its not possible to go barefoot .

My right heel it’s the most painful one now... (My left heel (tendon and spur) are not bothering me as much , and it was the first to make me limp)

The pain is always there ,
I can't wear any nice shoe .
I am not even sure I am doing the right thing by running barefoot with such a condition.
Waiting to hear from the Barefoot DRs , Thank you Oriya

Hello Oriya

Without examining you it is difficult for me to say exactly what is causing your pain and if it is just Haglund's Deformity. If there is an associated Achilles tendonitis or bursitis that changes the treatment.
Any bursa over the deformity will easily be inflamed due to pressure on the back of the heel.
Any issue with your tendon or fascia will be painful when walking, running or doing ballistic movements that require stretch of the tissue.
Depending on the size and how persistent the problems are you may want to consider the surgery. The recovery will involve a period of non-WB, crutches and rehab so as long as you can fit this into your schedule.
On the conservative end I would continue the graston, elevated heels or backless shoes but also add eccentric exercises into the routine.
Thanks.

Reactions: Sid
Hello Oriya

Without examining you it is difficult for me to say exactly what is causing your pain and if it is just Haglund's Deformity. If there is an associated Achilles tendonitis or bursitis that changes the treatment.
Any bursa over the deformity will easily be inflamed due to pressure on the back of the heel.
Any issue with your tendon or fascia will be painful when walking, running or doing ballistic movements that require stretch of the tissue.
Depending on the size and how persistent the problems are you may want to consider the surgery. The recovery will involve a period of non-WB, crutches and rehab so as long as you can fit this into your schedule.
On the conservative end I would continue the graston, elevated heels or backless shoes but also add eccentric exercises into the routine.
Thanks.
Thank you for your reply .

At the past i have done the eccentric exercises daily for 3 month and it added pain at the insertion of the achilles tendon.
Backless shoes ...The only shoe i found bit more possible for me to wear it Xeroshoe .
I will try the elevated heels, but I wont be able to run with them.

I am back to do Graston once a week for now .

Oriya

I have treated a bunch of these over the years and it is secondary to a gait issue, meaning your body style makes your legs and heels tight and you slam the feet into the ground. I have seen this mostly on those with high arches, especially those who are somewhat bowlegged since this causes you to bear weight on the lateral sides of your legs. The impact is what develops the callous formation which can also involve the bone as the stress causes growth in some folks. The traditional approaches as per wikipedia include http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haglund's_deformity.

Traditional approaches are not very effective, and are just dogma, since we are looking at and treating you, and your body mechanics and the reasons this problem occurred is likely unique to you. I see you have been using Graston Technique which is very effective when used with the right thought process, and ineffective when used at the area of pain with the problem being misunderstood.

My guess is that you are having core issues, and that the heel pain is likely secondary. I am also guessing from years of experience that your core is distorted, and you are likely overloading the leg with each step, causing a high impact as you walk (do you have a heavy step?).

If you would like, I would be happy to evaluate a treadmill phone video of you. I only need a minute from the side and if you can, from the back. It can be quite telling. Please include your entire side since arm movement is secondary to lower body movement.

Perhaps, I can then give you some guidance because so far, treating the symptom (the deformity) if not helping you.

Reactions: Sid and Barefoot TJ
I have treated a bunch of these over the years and it is secondary to a gait issue, meaning your body style makes your legs and heels tight and you slam the feet into the ground. I have seen this mostly on those with high arches, especially those who are somewhat bowlegged since this causes you to bear weight on the lateral sides of your legs. The impact is what develops the callous formation which can also involve the bone as the stress causes growth in some folks. The traditional approaches as per wikipedia include http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haglund's_deformity.

Traditional approaches are not very effective, and are just dogma, since we are looking at and treating you, and your body mechanics and the reasons this problem occurred is likely unique to you. I see you have been using Graston Technique which is very effective when used with the right thought process, and ineffective when used at the area of pain with the problem being misunderstood.

My guess is that you are having core issues, and that the heel pain is likely secondary. I am also guessing from years of experience that your core is distorted, and you are likely overloading the leg with each step, causing a high impact as you walk (do you have a heavy step?).

If you would like, I would be happy to evaluate a treadmill phone video of you. I only need a minute from the side and if you can, from the back. It can be quite telling. Please include your entire side since arm movement is secondary to lower body movement.

Perhaps, I can then give you some guidance because so far, treating the symptom (the deformity) if not helping you.

Thank you for your reply .

It is interesting to read and learn about what could be the cause to begin with .
To your Q’s :
Being a past shoed runner I was told that my style of running look bit weird & Energy wasting ( Same for my Swimming style which I gave up at some stage )
I do remember my heels tight and I was slamming the feet into the ground/Sand and hardly bent my knees.
80km a week , interavl , hill running and I could never pick a good speed ...this is why I prefered running slow and more .
I am assuming my arches are high compare to normal , now with barefoot walking / running /cycling & Power Yoga instructing ( for over 10 years ) I feel and see theyflatten a bit .
I do feel my steppes are still heavy even walking barefoot.
I am not bowlegged , or hyper extended knee .

I forgot to share about my self treatment that is helping me ease the pain .
http://www.applicatorlyapko.com/faq.htm
I am using the Applicators Roller on the lower leg directing it from heel up to popliteal fossa while lying on back leg lifted vertical slightly bent relaxed calf .
I hope its not wrong to roll it directly on the Spur ?

I Do have new Chiropract and he was working on all my leg from Glut to the Spur last week + applied dry needling to the Calf & Achilles tendon directly at its insertion .
First time I had this treatment done and i didnt feel any worse or far better afterward.

I will inform him about your reply especially I would like him to check about the possible gait issue & distorted core that you pinpointed .
I hope he or my partner can take the short treadmill phone video .

Thank you very much , Oriya