Greetings from Your Chapter President

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by saypay45, Jun 3, 2010.

1. davincidad Barefooters

Message Count:
    1.Tell us a little background about yourself?

John, 41 year old, married over 20 years, father of college junior, restaurant manager

2.Where in Minnesota do you live now?

Saint Paul

3. How long have you been running?

Been running about a year and a half now

4. How long have you been running barefoot or with minimalist shoes (BFR/MR)?

Except for my first run I'v ebeen doing minimalist shoes the entire time. Started doing barefoot miles in June.

5. If you run in minimalist shoes, what kind?

I run in Vibram KSOs

6. Tell us about your transition to BFR/MR.

Since I started out MR there was no transition to worry about. I had to take it easy since I was pretty out of shape.

7. What is your favorite thing about BFR/MR?

I like being able to feel the ground. It makes running fun instead of a chore. And I don't have to worry about shoelaces.

8. Average miles per week?

Kind of all over the place but right now I'm clustering at about 15 miles per week.

9. Would you be interested in group runs with BRS Minnesota? If so, where? How often (i.e. once a month, once a week, etc.)?

I might be interested. Twin Cities area probably no more than once a month.

10. Do you race while barefoot or in minimalist shoes? If so, where?

I have only done one race (the Mississippi 10 Mile) and ran it in my Vibrams.

11. Races per year?

Only one this year (maybe I'll get in a second). I'd like to do 4 or 5 per year.

12. Would you be interested in group races with BRS? If so, where and what distances?

Yes. Mostly in the TC area. Anywhere between 10K and half marathon.

13. What are your BFR/MR running goals right now?

A half marathon in minimalist shoes and a 10K barefoot.

14. Do you have any interest in attending a BFR/MR running clinic?

On a scale of 1 to 10 probably around a 6 or 7.

15. Besides running, what do you do for fun?

Read, watch movies, internet surfing.

16. Favorite alcoholic beverage?

Wine and Long Island Teas

17. Would you be interested in attending a BRS Minnesota happy hour or get-together?

Yes.

18. As BRS Minnesota grows, would you be interested in becoming a chapter officer?

Perhaps.

19. Would you be interested in attending a BRS Minnesota Chapter Meeting? How often (i.e. monthly, semi-annually, annually, etc.)?

Maybe quarterly.

20. Tell us two false things, and one true thing about yourself. See if anyone can guess which one is true.

I have a dragon tattoo on my back.

I can cook almost anything.

I once played guitar in a band.

2. hellofrommark Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi Gang

1. Tell us a little background about yourself?

*Mark Warren,52 years young and married tomyblushing bride for 15 years now.*

2. Where in Minnesota do you live now?

*Willernie.*

*Since I was young.*

4. How long have you been running barefoot or with minimalist shoes (BFR/MR)?

*3 years now.*

*I run in Vibram Treks*

*One day a took off my Redwings and ran 6 miles with no issues.*

*It's such a light feeling, I only use the treks when the road is rough and sharp.*

*I'm currently getting back into it with 2 miles a day 1st week, 4 miles a day second week, and so on till I get to 10 miles a day.*

9. Would you be interested in group runs with BRS Minnesota? If so, where? How often (i.e. once a month, once a week, etc.)?

*I have weekends free now so, yes.*

*I haven't run any races.*

11. Races per year?

*None.*

12. Would you be interested in group races with BRS? If so, where and what distances?

*Not sure, but sounds like fun.*

*10 mile days.*

*Could be interesting.*

*Ride motorcycles when I have one.*

*Shot of hennessy with a beerand Long Island Tea*

17. Would you be interested in attending a BRS Minnesota happy hour or get-together?

*Yes.*

18. As BRS Minnesota grows, would you be interested in becoming a chapter officer?

*Not sure.*

19. Would you be interested in attending a BRS Minnesota Chapter Meeting? How often (i.e. monthly, semi-annually, annually, etc.)?

*Maybe quarterly.*

20. Tell us two false things, and one true thing about yourself. See if anyone can guess which one is true.

*I was a Donny Osmond look alike.*

*I was a Prototype Engineering Technician.*

*I've run a marathon.*
  3. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    1.Tell us a little background about yourself?

I spent many years traveling, had a very active lifestyle, but have now been out of shape for seven years and am trying to get back to a regular exercise regimen.

2.Where in Minnesota do you live now?

St. Paul.

Off and on for 30 years, but only 2 of those were really consistent.

4. How long have you been running barefoot or with minimalist shoes

(BFR/MR)?

A few months, and twenty years ago for a few years.

I don't really see the point of minimalist shoes for running, but I did get some Patagonia Advocates recently for casual use, and like them OK. I may have to get some minimalist running shoes for the colder days of winter, but I've also heard Oxide's water sock is good for insulation. The Soft Star is another winter possibility. I'd be interested in hearing from more Minnesotans who normally run barefoot about how they handle sub 0 temps. I'll probably be OK down to about 10-20 degrees, since I already walk barefoot at those temps once in a while.

I have always enjoyed going barefoot, and generally dislike shoes and hate socks. So when it came time to start getting back into shape, running barefoot made a lot of sense once I became aware of the trend (someone sent me Dr. Lieberman's YouTube video) and then read up on it. I had also run barefoot in Japan 20 years ago, for about two out of the three years I was practicing karate there. I have no idea if I was doing it with proper form though.

It's a natural extension of my general love of being barefoot. And I like the anti-consumerist sense of it too, although MR seems to be allowing it creep back in. But most of all I like the idea that it may be the best way to run, the most natural way. Having allowed myself to get out of shape for seven years, and having just turned 50, I want exercises that I can do for the rest of my life without worrying about injuries. Previously I always had to run every other day because my knees would start to ache a bit if I ran every day. I never pushed it to the point of serious injury, but I also never became that serious about running. Hopefully barefoot running will allow me to run almost every day at decent distances.

Right now the goal is to get up to 3-5 miles a day, about 5-6 days a week. I'm currently running only 1-2 miles a day as I work through some top-of-the-foot pain in my left foot. I began to experience the pain when I had my first three-mile run barefoot. Thanks to a great article and follow-up advice provided by http://gobarefooting.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/injury-top-of-the-foot-pain/, I'm almost recovered now. It would be great if I could eventually get into the 5-to-10-mile-a-day range and return to previous levels of fitness.

Eventually I might be interested, but right now I'm too busy with work, kids, and taking care of aging parents. In general though, I like running because it allows me to exercise whenever my schedule permits, so scheduled runs away from home may not be practicable. But we'll see--once a month might be doable.

No.

11. Races per year?

12. Would you be interested in group races with BRS? If so, where and what

distances?

I've never raced. It's probably not my thing. But I'm intrigued by the possibility of running a marathon in a year or two. In any case, if I ever do race, it will definitely be barefoot.

Finish working through the tendonitis in my left foot and then add speed and endurance. Blisters haven't been a problem because my feet were already used to being barefoot most of the time.

Sure, but right now my schedule is overwhelming, so it'll have to be later, maybe 2012.

I complement running with free weights for upper body conditioning. For non-exercise fun I hang out with my wife, kids, and friends. I used to play music, but don't have any time right now for that.

Red wine with lots of berry and oak.

17. Would you be interested in attending a BRS Minnesota happy hour or

get-together?

Sure, when things calm down.

18. As BRS Minnesota grows, would you be interested in becoming a chapter

officer?

No, that would be too big of a commitment for me. Sorry.

Possibly next year. What would the agenda be?

I love shoes.

I love socks.

I love bare feet.