Gravel Tray Training Pay Off

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Arrived in Florida City FL to salvage our stuff from the BRS Mobile tomorrow. It's now in the junkyard in Homestead FL. Just finished my first outdoor run in over 7 weeks, and I've never seen so much glass and gravel as I did today. Thanks to the dread mil / gravel tray winter regimen I completed the run with ease and w/o so much as a scratch,
Hope the salvage operation goes as smoothly!

Sure. Very low tech and inexpensive. Just finished a centuries old brick paved run in Key West, still doing fine. First foot injury of '14 last night. Shoe related. A thirty something girl wearing heels only ( this is Key West) scraped my foot with those dangerous things and drew blood and a flap on my left 4'th. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so close!image.jpg

Duval Street place. First floor is The Bull, open air bar and restaurant w/ live music. Second floor is another bar w/ balconies all around overlooking all the action. Always some bead tossing to the girls in the street for rewards. Third floor is an open roof top garden , called The Garden of Eden. Only two rules: no cell phones or cameras, and no sex.

Reactions: Sid and DNEchris
Sure. Very low tech and inexpensive. Just finished a centuries old brick paved run in Key West, still doing fine. First foot injury of '14 last night. Shoe related. A thirty something girl wearing heels only ( this is Key West) scraped my foot with those dangerous things and drew blood and a flap on my left 4'th. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so close!View attachment 3505

Cool! What's the binoculars for?

Reactions: Sid
Cool! What's the binoculars for?
Scan training. Too easy to take the perfect gravel for granted and forgetting to remember to scan the road ahead for hazards could lead to injury . Letting the field glasses hang serves as a reminder to always keep a heads up .
Got my coupon, time to hit the Garden.

Could you describe the process for the training? thanks
You do your own thing on the gravel, whatever feels right. Diane and I drove through the night yesterday and are currently in JAX Beach FL. Our feet are as tough as the natives.

Reactions: dharmadan
My favorite local trail has a 200m section of gravel, and I wanted to be able to get through that section. I got a bag of drainage rock at Lowes for $4, rinsed off the dirt and allowed it to dry, then put it in a plastic bin. I started by walking in place on it for a few minutes at a time. Then jogging in place and got up to 15-20min.

After running on the trail, I realized that it wasn't a nice level bed of rocks. So, my next challenge was to put a just a few rocks in a bin, and be able to manage a surface strewn unevenly with rocks. After, that the trail has been more manageable! :D

I really need to try this next year. Especially with the cold winter we had and no barefoot running for 2-3 months for me. :( There are lots of races already gone by I'd loved to have done but my feet are tough enough yet. Running in place never appealed to me much but its better than nothing I suppose! Maybe I could make a gravel oval track around the basement lol!

Reactions: dharmadan

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test