Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge (January 2011, Walt Disney World, Florida)

I didn't find any parking lot

I didn't find any parking lot issues for the half marathon. The only issues were the wet slippery surfaces in the Magic Kingdom portion from them washing the grounds.

Hello All,My husband ran the

Hello All,

My husband ran the full marathon this past Sunday and I really wish I had seen this thread beforehand. I saw about 10 people in VFF's and one fellow in huaraches (yeah huaraches!) after the finish. I wanted so badly to go over to him and say great job, but didn't want to come across as a camp follower. Now I know to take a better look at the forums to see if any of us will be in town for a race.

Sara

SaraLord wrote:My husband ran

SaraLord said:
My husband ran the full marathon this past Sunday and I really wish I had seen this thread beforehand. I saw about 10 people in VFF's and one fellow in huaraches (yeah huaraches!) after the finish.

That guy in huaraches may have been Warren. He ran the Goofy challenge and did the 1/2 barefoot and then wore his huaraches for the marathon the next day.

I have a picture of him in his huaraches on my blog.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FHFkY_he0nY/TSfSYgMroHI/AAAAAAAAA04/fqdqpTs0wF8/s640/DSCN9733.JPG

I'm glad everyone did so

I'm glad everyone did so well. I had a tough time running with the flu and what turned out to be fluid in my lungs. I also stopped somewhere around mile 10 to perform CPR on a man...it was an interesting day. I was unsuccessful in my Goofy Challenge attempt since I was thinking about dialing 911 instead of running the full on Sunday :) Lesson learned: I'm a tough tough person who can push through a lot of stuff but fluid in the lungs should be a reason to not push.

You gave CPR to a dying

You gave CPR to a dying man...with fluid in your lungs...while you were trying to run the full? Wow! This deserves a race report front and center. Do tell more. Did he live?

i cannot confirm his status

i cannot confirm his status but he had no vitals when i got to him and i worked on him for about five minutes before handing him off to EMS. they then worked for another five or so before i was told to go ahead and finish my run. I was about a half mile down the road when I saw the ambulance coming so I have to believe that he did not make it. Just too long without any vital signs to have come out ok.

all of it happened in the half. I was unable to run the full as my lungs and body gave out on my the night after the half. I've never felt so bad in my life and after dealing with the guy falling out on the course I just couldnt make myself go for the full. it's the first time i've ever not been able to will myself through something but the docs say that was a good thing as I could have popped a lung by pushing it through the cold weather during the full.

I'm the kind of guy that can over come any limitation put in front of me so I had to give it a shot but just for the record if you are having coughing fits, 102 temp, and body aches, flew in late, and got one hour of sleep before the race....you probably shouldn't run. I'm just saying.

Jimmy Hart wrote:I'm the kind

Jimmy Hart said:
I'm the kind of guy that can over come any limitation put in front of me so I had to give it a shot but just for the record if you are having coughing fits, 102 temp, and body aches, flew in late, and got one hour of sleep before the race....you probably shouldn't run. I'm just saying.

You are a hero. I wouldn't have even attempted it with the conditions you experienced. I'm very sorry to hear about the guy who you tried to help. I hope things worked out for him. I was there watching my sister run the Goofy and I had no idea such a thing had happened.

Jimmy, I think you're nuts

Jimmy, I think you're nuts for running in that condition. (I mean that as a compliment!) And I'm glad you WEREN'T nuts enough to run the 2nd day. (I mean that as a compliment too!) I really hope you're feeling better...and Goofy will be waiting for you next year! :)

I hope the guy made it too. 

I hope the guy made it too. That's terrible. Sorry you were so ill, Jimmy.

That's so sad.  I feel so bad

That's so sad. I feel so bad for his family and friends. :sad:

Me too.  It's especially sad

Me too. It's especially sad because it's such a happy event and everyone is having such a good time down there. I hate to hear that it was so horrible for one family. May he rest in peace, and may his family heal and be at peace in their loss.

yes it was not fun and it is

yes it was not fun and it is sad but as a teaching tool...wear ID of some sort please. if i'm going to have to try and save you i would appreciate it if you helped me out. fill out the back of your bib, invest in a road ID, or do something that helps the medical personnel out. i have been bad about this over the years where i would go on a long run with nothing, no ID, no phone, no credit card...nothing and thankfully i've never needed anything. i wear a road ID bracelet now because it just makes sense and i feel a little safer out on those long lonely runs because of it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts