Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge (January 2011, Walt Disney World, Florida)

Warren Dickey

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Valrico, FL
www.warren-dickey.me
I started this post to see if anyone else is going to be running the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge in January of 2011. I signed up a couple of months ago. It would be awesome if we could do some kind of BRS meetup in Orlando for this run. Below is some info about the run and the link to register.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/endurance/wdw-marathon/

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
--Saturday, January 8, 2011 and Sunday, January 9, 2011

--Sign up for Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge with 7500 of your closest friends!

--Are you looking for the ultimate test of endurance? Then compete in Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge where you will run the Half Marathon on Saturday and then the Marathon on Sunday. If you finish both races in the time limit you will be awarded the coveted Goofy medal.

--You must register for Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge to receive the Goofy medal upon completion of both races within the pacing requirements.

Each participant's $310 registration in Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge will include:

• Race Registration for both the Half Marathon and Marathon
  • Official Race Handbook
  • Commemorative Champion® Race Tech Shirt for Marathon, Half Marathon and Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
  • Goody Bag
  • Disney's Health & Fitness Expo including our world-class Speaker Series
  • Event Weekend Transportation for ALL Walt Disney World® Resort Hotels
  • Special Goofy Personalized Bibs (Register by 11/1/10)
  • On Course Refreshments
  • On Course Disney Entertainment
  • Post-Race Refreshments
  • Family Reunion Area with live entertainment and characters
  • Post-Race web site with direct access to your race photos, results and custom finisher certificate
  • All runners who complete both the Half Marathon and Marathon will receive the special Goofy medal in addition to the Mickey and Donald medals from the individual events!
  • Disney magic you won't find anywhere else!

I desperately want to do this

I desperately want to do this one barefoot. It's divided between concrete and asphalt with more concrete than asphalt. I have a long road of recovery from the cryosurgery on both my feet though. If I can do it in 2011, I will. If not, perhaps 2012. If not, perhaps, 2013...

i'll be there for my second

i'll be there for my second go round. first time was shod in my nike frees because my feet werent ready yet for that kind of distance on pavement but this year i'm at least in vffs. TJ that would be awesome if you could do it...maybe just run the marathon or even the half if you're not ready for the double up. After running last year I can see either race being well worth the trip.

So far it looks like Warren,

So far it looks like Warren, Larry, and Jimmy going, with TJ hopefully wishing. Could be a Florida meetup you guys...

i'm all for it.  i ran this

i'm all for it. i ran this thing last year completely by myself so a familiar face would be great. i'm thinking technical shirts TJ. i'm all for a good cotton shirt but i've grown to hate it when i run. i know that moisture wicking is bad and can accelerate dehydration but it's just so comfy :)

I've got to agree about the

I've got to agree about the technical T-shirts remark. I was a bit disappointed to see that everything on the BRS merchandise site seemed to be cotton. I think to get the word out I'll get one of the good cotton ones but I can't see "representing" BRS on any long runs with a cotton T-shirt on if for no other reason than I don't like the chafing that inevitably occurs from your body hanging on to the sweat and breaking down the skin with wet-cotton friction. I could possibly wear a form-fitted Under Armor running shirt underneath but I'd prefer not to wear two shirts, although Disney can be pretty cold that time of year. Might not be a bad idea. We'll see.

Perhaps my BRS T-shirt will be for before and after.

It just so happens I was

It just so happens I was talking to someone today on the phone about getting pricing for some technical shirts. Please stand by...

At ease for you, Warren. :stare:

Yes, those marine drill

Yes, those marine drill sergeants do tend to straight-face every command, don't they? Stare at you as though they were looking deep into your soul or something.

Does sound like a good

Does sound like a good opportunity for a Florida meet-up. I'll get it added to the Florida chapter page. I don't think I'll be ready to do any distance running by then, but maybe if I can get some good practice time in this fall.

Sherri

I'll be there for the Disney

I'll be there for the Disney 5K. I would run it barefoot but I thought one couldn't run barefoot at Disney. Are you all talking about running there barefoot and does anyone know anything about it? I'd also love to meet up with other barefoot runners while down there.

Fresca, why not run it

Fresca, why not run it barefoot carrying something minimal, then if you are stopped, put your minimals on, then when you are out of their site, take them back off again. ;-)

I think everyone is planning on running it barefoot.

You are permitted to run the

You are permitted to run the race barefoot so go for it if you want! They have pretty strict policies on barefooting in the parks during operating hours but I have it confirmed from them that they are more than happy to have barefoot runners in their races (at our own risk of course)

SO COOL!

SO COOL!

I am so happy to hear I can

I am so happy to hear I can run barefoot! All this time I was assuming I'd have to use Vibrams. I will carry my minimals, as TJ suggests, just in case. I'll be down there to watch anyone in the other races. My Family Fun 5K race is on the Friday (I think it goes through Epcot). I'll be watching the marathon because my sister is running it (in shoes). I definitely will be cheering for anyone there from the barefoot world.

I'll be there but if it's

I'll be there but if it's anything like last year running bare might be tough to do. I ran in sleet for the half and freezing temps for the full. It was so cold the water stations were frozen over and you had to be really careful to not fall running through them. If it's like the year before then we'll 70 degree temps to enjoy and have a great time.

Fresca,I'm doing the Goofy

Fresca,

I'm doing the Goofy Race and a Half but I'll also be there on Friday doing the 5K with my wife and 10 year old twins. That would be cool to see another barefoot runner. My kids will be running in Invisible Shoes or barefoot. They aren't sure which yet. My wife is still a shod runner.

You going to have your BRS shirt on? :) I just ordered one of the silver tech shirts.

I'll second Jimmy's comments about the weather. You just never know what you're going to get. I've run these runs in beautiful weather and I've run them in brutally cold weather. It's not even the running that's the hard part with the weather. It's getting to the early, early start then trying to make sure you aren't starting with too much clothes on but having enough not to be miserable.