Good runs in St. Paul for someone new to Barefoot Running?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Kyrrinstoch, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Kyrrinstoch Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Hey all, I'm hoping to find some good pathes/trails to run in the St. Paul area. I'm still new to running barefoot and would like to see what trails/pathes people in the area prefer (and hopefully why).
    Bare Lee and paulbeales like this.
  2. Steve Modica Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    I run down in IGH. I guess my favorite paths are good, smooth blacktop. Blaine Avenue all the way down to highway 42 is great. When blacktop gets older, it start to get gritty and it's a lot less pleasant.
    Bare Lee and paulbeales like this.
  3. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Kyrrinstoch,

I live close to 280. Phalen Lake is about three miles in circumference and has pretty smooth asphalt. Lake Como is about 1.7 miles around and is a little bit rougher. Those are the two best lakes I know of in St. Paul. Minneapolis of course also has great lake paths and the Midtown Greenway. Pretty much any path along the river, from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis, is good, although down by Crosby Lake the asphalt is pretty degraded and rough. From Ford Parkway Bridge to Hennepin Bridge there are lots of bridge-to-bridge options. Passing Phalen Lake, there's also the Bruce Vento Trail, which is really nice but doesn't work for a circuit. There's also the Trout Creek Trail, passing Lake McCarrons, which is a good connecting path on a longer route through the neighborhoods. East of Saint Paul, there are some nice, compacted dirt trail options in Lake Elmo Park Reserve, especially around Eagle Point Lake. Further east, Afton has some good trails.

Those are my main running areas, besides sidewalks through neighborhoods. Summit Avenue is also nice, but there are stop lights every half mile.

I think I've just been made Chapter President. I'll look into it and make some kind of general announcement later.

Happy Trails!

paulbeales likes this.
  4. Kyrrinstoch Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Thanks for the info guys.

l've been running on the asphalt trail around my office in Roseville so far and doing the same loop every run is getting a little repetitive.

I used to live right on the golf course in Como park. The loop around the golf course/zoo/conservatory/park was a little under 5k and was always fun hearing the wolves and the seals in the morning.

The trails in Lake Elmo Preserve sound interesting - I'll have to try them out.

Lee - congratulations...? :)
    paulbeales and Bare Lee like this.
  5. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    I don't know where in Roseville you are but Roselawn and Fairview have good asphalt paths and sidewalks. Roselawn going east leads to the Trout Creek Trail.

I won't be able to organize group runs very much, if at all. On weekends I'm hanging out with the family. Most of my running is early in the morning. But if anyone else wants to organize runs, please feel free to use this space. Give me a few days and I'll try to update our chapter a bit. I know it's been kind of defunct since The Maple Groove Barefoot Guy had to start working a real job.

paulbeales likes this.
  6. JT Rissman Barefooters

Message Count:
    I do most of my running in Minneapolis, so I have less route suggestions for St. Paul. That said, I enjoy the Mississippi River Blvd, particularly the loop (if you're willing to cross to the Minneapolis side!) between the Ford and Lake Street bridges. The asphalt on the Minneapolis/west side seems to generally be a little smoother than on the St. Paul/east side of the river, but it's pretty good overall. (The St. Paul side between the Lake and Franklin bridges, however, has a fairly rough stretch.) If you're willing to head a little further west, I love the (asphalt) path that connects Lake Nokomis to Lake Harriet - beautiful route - and you then, of course, have the paths around Harriet, Calhoun and Lake of the Isles, the first two of which are pretty decent. (Isles might be fine as well, but I've not run it in some time - and maybe never barefoot - so I can't speak to it's surface condition.)

paulbeales and Bare Lee like this.
  7. paulbeales Administrator
    1. Presidents
    2. International
    3. United Kingdom

Message Count:
    Hi Bare,

I haven't actually set you up with the Chapter President permissions yet Bare. I will do this tonight and let you know when I have done it. Thanks for taking on the role. Let me know if you need any help on anything.

Cheers,

Paul