Going to the dr tomorrow, bummin :(

Darn! Sorry to hear it,

Darn! Sorry to hear it, Zumba. Sending speedy recovery vibes your way.

LB, I'll see how this week

LB, I'll see how this week goes. Pretty sure the diagnosis is correct, nothing less then a stress fracture based on the pain (I've had broken bones before and the pain feels similar). I'll see about a visit to Doc...if need be. Right now, we can't even afford a pot to piss in let alone a trip to Indiana. Sigh.

Norm, yes please. Audio books, I listen to them during workouts and on long runs. I'm on Pillars of the Earth right now, have about 5hrs left or so.

Rest is what you need whether

Rest is what you need whether the diagnosis is correct or not.

If it was wrong, you may be ready much sooner.

Or, possibly you could see a podiatrist.

They x-ray you in their own office and the visit can be much cheaper than a typical hospital or orthopedic surgeon's fee.

The downside is that most will recommend orthotics.

Now I'll warn you, I prefer

Now I'll warn you, I prefer fun books for my audio reading. So here are some of my favorites:

Anything by Christopher Moore. A Dirty Job is particularly good, but I recommend reading Bloodsucking Fiends first, as it introduces characters and themes that carry through (but it is not a sequel, so they will work fine without each other. Lamb is also terrific, one of my favorite books of all time.

Jasper Fforde is the author I'm currently reading. The Eyre Affair is the first in this series (about an investigator named Thursday Next), and it's more or less a fantasy book, but not the elf/wizard kind. It's more like regular modern society with some major differences. They are more or less police procedurals.

Have you read The Help yet? I loved that book too; after listening to it (in only about 3 days), I had a southern accent for a few days.

Added them to my "to read"

Added them to my
"to read" list Norm, thanks :)

Are you allowed to take the

Are you allowed to take the boot off to swim? I'm not sure how stress fractures are affected by swimming but I know swimming takes pressure off plus it's great for cross training :)

Sorry to hear about your injury but be patient! My advice? Relax!

Well crap!  I just found this

Well crap! I just found this section (since I've only been here for a couple days now)! I didn't realize you had gone to the doc. I'm sorry to hear about your setback; sounds you're being as optomistic as possible, under the circumstances. You'll be back at it in time for some summer humidity and then beautiful fall running!

Norm Deplume wrote: mmm,

Norm Deplume said:
mmm, Jamie... :love:

pluto.gif

I'm not in an actual boot

I'm not in an actual boot HOJ, my doc said that any solid sole shoe/boot will work. So I found a pair of birk like sandals...the soles dont' budge LOL and am working with that. He said that even swimming would create some movement with the feet. I plan to relax and rest for a week or two then start hitting the gym for the eliptical..yawn. haha Looking foward to a break, I think I was over training with all of the zumba, running, belly dance, yard work etc. My body was just perpetually sore. I have a good feeling about this all for some odd reason, like it's happening for a reason and I'll come back strong. Corny I know :p

Wendy, I get my books from wherever I can find them. I just google free audio books, I may have gotten some from audible.com, though can't remember. It sounds familiar. I have used Librivox quite a bit, though the narration is sometimes blah. LOL A lot of the time, I end up with random, not so popular or in circulation books or classics. Started with Moby Dick a while back but it just was too much of a snoozer for me to read while running. I just, finally, got a library card and I think you can download audio books from the public library so I'll try that with some of the more recent recommended books.

Thanks guys for your constant encouragement, like I said...strangely feel like this is a good thing for me. Like I always say, something to be learned from all situations..good and bad. Roll with it.

barefoot.zumba.runner

barefoot.zumba.runner said:
Where do I start in 6 weeks though? Do I start at square one running 1/8mi??

Yes, run an 1/8th of a mile at a time to begin with. Take it super slow and extremely cautious, and make sure to NOT favor it to the point that you induce more injury elsewhere.

Zum, if you're using the

Zum, if you're using the elliptical at a gym, why not take this opportunity to train on some of their equipment that you may not have used before. Upper body machines and leg machines. Even though you need to protect that foot, you can still do leg raises and such. I once read a study that even if you just excersized one leg for example, because the other was injured, the injured leg still receives some benefit. At my gym , the leg and arm machines can be set up differently for left or right side.

oh TJ, that'll be

oh TJ, that'll be hard...though I did it before and I'll do it again :)

Miqie, great idea. I will have to do that. Interesting that the injured leg receives benefit from the other being worked. Thanks!