Fun Run ~10K

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I had a lovely return to trail running last Saturday morning. It had looked like a miserable gully washer of a morning at 0900, but by race start at 930 the rain had stopped entirely, and by the time I finished running the sun was peeping out.

The run is called the Lehigh Gap Nature Center More or Less 10K, and this was my 4th year running it. The course starts on a nice flat, fast piece of rail to trail along the Lehigh River in Palmerton, PA, and then takes a hard left to climb the Blue Mountain about where the Appalachian Trail crosses. After leaving the flat it becomes nice weathered rocks interspersed with broken shales. Lots of fallen leaves over everything this time, too.

As a result of my great trail running prowess and a very low turnout, I won a 3rd place AG medal. I was happy with that and the fact that I didn't get hurt (much) at all.

Here's a link to the course map and elevation. The compression of the whole course into one small elevation table makes it look terrifically challenging, I think.

http://www.lgnc10k.com/index.php/trail-course-maps/10k-elevation-map.

Next year they're going to the alternate finish point on the mountain top overlooking the river which is up another 800 feet or so. That one makes for a LONG walk down to the starting line. I'll have someone bring a dry shirt and a pair of Teva sandals up for me, if I can. I find walking down a rocky trail much harder on my bod than running up one.

Reactions: happysongbird