frost nip on my face?

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
Or am I just delicate?
I went for a relaxed walk/run yesterday evening. I was fighting a bit of a virus (had a fever), but felt really good outside, toasty warm.
The only thing that got cold was my face, and until the end didn't really bother me.
Last night and this morning the skin on my face is red and raw, hurts a bit to the touch, looks a bit like a sun burn.
The temps were not that low for what I'm used to, about 10-15F, 0F by the weather with the windchill, though I didn't feel much wind. I've been out in that many times before, no problem. This time, I was out maybe 45 minutes.
My body was warm enough that I considered shedding a layer, and couldn't run for long without feeling too warm. My feet were fine, not the least bit chilly, in one layer of smarwool socks and softstar shoes.

Is this normal? Anyone else get nipped in the face?

Hurts to the touch the next day does sound like a little frostnip, but I'm no expert. I've just had a little frostnip on the toes 2 or 3 times since I started winter barefooting. Hopefully its minor and passes...

Hurts to the touch the next day does sound like a little frostnip, but I'm no expert. I've just had a little frostnip on the toes 2 or 3 times since I started winter barefooting. Hopefully its minor and passes...

I'm wondering if it's from the fever? I've been out many times before in those conditions without a problem.
Have you found that your ability to handle the temps varies?

Reactions: happysongbird
i bought a balaclava after freezing my face off. they're still surgically attaching it. no shame in wearing one of those.

Reactions: scedastic and Sid
Sympathies to Scedastic, hope you are feeling better by now.

Upon further reflection, it would seem that perspiration from a fever, might well cause frostnip. The body might not be thermoregulating very well during a fever, and it seems that excessive sweat could freeze.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/expphysiol.1958.sp001327/pdf

I'm laid up with the crud myself, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into my routine soon. Fortunately, I don't get sick very often. My cough drops were a congealed sugary mess in the bag, from 2-3 years ago.

Reactions: scedastic
Sympathies to Scedastic, hope you are feeling better by now.

Upon further reflection, it would seem that perspiration from a fever, might well cause frostnip. The body might not be thermoregulating very well during a fever, and it seems that excessive sweat could freeze.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/expphysiol.1958.sp001327/pdf

I'm laid up with the crud myself, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into my routine soon. Fortunately, I don't get sick very often. My cough drops were a congealed sugary mess in the bag, from 2-3 years ago.

Thanks, Sid.
I've been thinking about it as well, and I believe it was a combination of the fever perspiration and actually using a cloth on my face when it got cold. It was a very thin ("buff" brand) headband/whatever. I pulled it up over my face when it started getting cold, and I think the gathering condensation from my breath wet my skin and made it all worse.
I own a very thin balaclava that caused similar issues last year.
I want something like a fleece clown's nose, or the nose equivalent to those weird little ear caps people wear when they worry about ruining their hair with a hat.
The balaclavas and face masks with mouth openings are usually way too thick for me.

Luckily the temps warmed up and my cooties went away, and after about 2 days the soreness and peeling on my face was over.
It's frustrating, though, because I feel like I've really adapted and figured out the cold temperatures, if only for my face.
Given all my sinus issues, I'm also not a huge fan of a constantly cold and runny nose, either.