Foot Roll

Wow, after all these barefoot miles, I just discovered the goodness of landing on the outside half of the mid/forefoot and letting the foot roll inward.

When I first started wearing the Correct Toes a few days ago I focussed on shemming the big toe out further, but then yesterday I shemmed the little toe outward...puting the little toe in the right position had an odd effect of making my footfall land more toward the outside of the foot instead of the centerline...dunno why it does that but its kool.

Anyway, turns out that letting the foot roll from outside to inside on the landing absorbs a lot of shock or something.

My knees are so bad that even running barefoot I need to warm up a good bit to not have knee pain when I run....but when I made that one small adjustment, and let the foot land toward the outside and role inward, there is no knee pain even without warmup.

Fascinating.

I had tried the rolling footfall before, but it wasn't comfortable, so I gave it up.

I think it wasn't comfortable because my big toe was not in the right position, so my foot rolled to far inward.

Having the big toe more spread out seems to arrest the roll.

Reactions: paulbeales
I think this is all part of a normal gait is it not? I couldn’t tell by feel since it happens so quick, but video evidence shows I strike with the outside edge and roll flat from there. This reminds me, after a year of barefoot running when it started to get cold again the very first run I did in VFF's (which was a speed day, I shouldn’t have done that) I bruised the outside edge of my feet pretty bad. Apparently my nerves react quickly to the impact to relax and roll the foot and absorb the impact, but with shoes I was slamming the edge much harder I guess. Doesn’t seem to happen any more but I remember my feet being sore for 2 weeks after that!
Wasn't aware that toe splay had an effect on impact and roll, but I suppose its all interconnected. My toes are typical shod toes that are fairly tight and inward unfortunately.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts