[Mar 24, 2016] 6th Annual Winter Challenge (Worldwide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
6th Annual Winter Challenge

Here it is!

Everyone is welcome to participate, whether you run 1 mile or 500 miles.

Challenge yourself and run in the snow and cold.

The challenge runs from Oct 1 2015 to March 31 2016.

RULES
1. All runs/walks must be BAREFOOT
2. Temperature with windchill must be less than or equal to 50°F (10°C)
3. Any run of 1/3 mile (0.5 km) or over can be counted
4. Add your total distance and runs in the appropriate temperature range on the following spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17zURmaXYWpzoisRuczLoFTTKXZYChwPkHEUDjAdaNtU/edit?usp=sharing

(Qualifying runs already done can be added to the spreadsheet.)

Select 'Units' (km or mi.) Total distances will be converted to MILES. (You will need to convert the temperatures manually to °F)

Wind Chill Calculator

Please be gentle with me if you find any problems with the spreadsheet. Barefoot YOW has asked to be excused from organising the challenge this year.

Thanks YOW for everything you have done in the past. If we mess this up without you, we may be asking you to come back next year ;)

thanks for the list, but how i register to them and how to use it :)

Click on the green link to open the spreadsheet and add your username and details on the left hand side

Is the temperature the starting temp, ending temp, or average temp?

Is the temperature the starting temp, ending temp, or average temp?

my policy (and not wishing to impose this on anyone else) is to classify a run under the warmest applicable category. so, taking the highest temperature during the run. for those knife-edge cases where i start and it's 48F and rises to 53F, i only record that portion of the run that i think was at or below the 50F maximum qualifying temperature. i'm also silly and record using "actual" temperature rather than windchill. i guess that's because my routes usually include varying degrees of shelter from the wind, so when i'm blocked from the wind, there wouldn't be much extra chillage whereas when i come out of the trees and turn into that 25mph headwind on the prairie, it's a different story. :)

but, the most important criteria are to have fun and not hurt yourself. :)

Think I got registered alright.... Now to wait for this Pes Anserine Bursitis to go away and get back running. Made the mistake of not running for two months then attempted to train for a marathon in 30 days, didn't work out so well for me. Live and learn.

I'm deciding right now to give this a good try. I've got a run of about exactly a kilometer just around my neighborhood, so that will be my goal.
Is it for cumulative miles or just the best one?
Hi Mike. Welcome to the Winter Challenge.

The central columns are for cumulative miles. The RH columns are for your coldest single run

PROGRESS REPORT

NUMBER OF RUNNERS: 32

USA: 10
France : 9
Germany: 7
Belgium: 3
UK: 2
Canada: 1

MILEAGE TO DATE: 632

Germany: 239
USA: 218
France: 78
Belgium: 67
Canada: 26
UK: 4

Coldest Run: Julien Gavray, Belgium, 34 deg F (1.1 deg C)

No runs on snow reported yet

my policy (and not wishing to impose this on anyone else) is to classify a run under the warmest applicable category. so, taking the highest temperature during the run. for those knife-edge cases where i start and it's 48F and rises to 53F, i only record that portion of the run that i think was at or below the 50F maximum qualifying temperature. i'm also silly and record using "actual" temperature rather than windchill. i guess that's because my routes usually include varying degrees of shelter from the wind, so when i'm blocked from the wind, there wouldn't be much extra chillage whereas when i come out of the trees and turn into that 25mph headwind on the prairie, it's a different story. :)

but, the most important criteria are to have fun and not hurt yourself. :)

Well the competition isn't an official one, it's not fair to everyone, there is no awards or anything so I think ballpark is close enough. ;) I'll include windchill if its significant and I am exposed to it (often times on the rail trail I don't experience much wind since it is somewhat sheltered in trees). Usually I just check the weatherbug app on the phone and use the 'feels like' temp. Sometimes I question it though. Today it reported 14 mph wind yet the feels like temp equaled the actual temp.

If you want to be technical, then one should include road surface temp. That might be even more important than air temp actually, and can vary quite a bit from air temp. I like to include that occasionally when I talk about a run on here but I don't factor it into the spreadsheet logs (I don't know how you would factor that in anyhow).

Also for others that might be doing this for the first time I suggest instead of using a running total on the spreadsheet, to type each run into the cell. It helps in case you forgot which ones you've included (well, at least if they vary in length), and also gives you and others the ability to see the length of runs you typically do.

And it's pretty easy, for example if you've made recent runs of 3, 5, 2, and 5 miles then in the cell type =3+5+2+5 instead of typing 15. In either case, 15 will be displayed. But if you click on the cell of the former method you will be able to see the individual runs. ;)

As for me... we've had temps down to freezing for several days now. It warms up quickly but running before noon lately I've been able to start logging stuff in the 40-50 column. If I can work my weekly miles up to normal quickly, I should be able to beat last years numbers since I started out pretty hurt last year with a strained achilles from my October marathon.

We finally had a 50 degree morning and I'm trying to add my name to the challenge and having no luck. Do I have to use the Google Sheets app? Cause that isn't happening. I did this last year and don't remember this problem but whatever. Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

We finally had a 50 degree morning and I'm trying to add my name to the challenge and having no luck. Do I have to use the Google Sheets app? Cause that isn't happening. I did this last year and don't remember this problem but whatever. Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?
Could one of you seasoned Winter Challenge veterans please help out Bare Claws. Thanks!

If you're using a tablet or a mobile phone, then you will need to use the Sheets app to add your mileage.

If you have access to one, it is much easier to add your mileage on a computer Claws

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Status
Not open for further replies.