Dumb Podiatrist Again, But Smart Reporters and Yoga Instructor

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Every story about a barefoot person usually includes an interview with a podiatrist warning of the potential dangers of imbibing.
Most of us scratch our heads and wonder how they come to their conclusions, since they only study and treat the shod. Some of the docs admit that a tiny fraction of the population has the correct feet to successfully allow setting them free, but give stern warnings to the rest of us.
I just came across this local television news story from Arkansas that aired two months ago.
There is a transcript available as well as the actual video clip of the piece.
I found several things interesting in it.
1) The reporters didn't snicker or judge, and actually reinforced the idea that in Arkansas it is common to go barefoot.
2) The barefooter is a yoga instructor who lives a barefoot life out and about. Many yoga enthusiasts want feet protected outside of the studio and clean while practicing.
3) The yoga instructor freely admits that she loves going barefoot and always has, just like many of us do. She didn't limit the discussion to the bio-mechanical benefits, instead just calmly describing how enjoyable being barefoot is
4) Often times these stories include a picture of the dirty sole or soles so that at least 50% of their viewers can collectively " Ewwwwwww, I can't believe anyone would go barefoot"
This story did not, instead they show her feet exercising, and the close-up is of well taken care of pedicured feet, both the feet and the filming are of foot-model quality and aesthetics.
4) The podiatrist talked about all of the shoe wearing conditions she treats and explains that you get them by going barefoot. Still don't follow that, but typical. But she does add barefoot content: She describes the beach injuries......driftwood, fish barbs, Sea Urchan spines, etc. Makes a good case for the habitually shod to stick with shoes when at the seashore in my opinion, but does not address barefoot in public daily activity. Well, she sort of does when she tells of the scariest example as a warning: "I've even removed a toothpick!"
She loses all credibility with the following statement:
"The way you contract a wart virus is by walking on wet contaminated surfaces. Areas like the athletic club, the showers, gymnasiums [and] water parks," said Dr. Buk.
She never bothers to mention that if you were barefoot before and after the exposure you will not contract the condition.

http://www.thv11.com/story/news/2015/07/28/going-barefoot-in-arkansas-health/30760491/

Reactions: dutchie53 and Sly
Oh boy, I get this your feet are dirty and full of germs all the time. I wash my feet 3 times or more per day, how often do people wash the bottom (or insides) of their shoes? Some of the so called facts by "experts" that come out and make those statements just don't make any sense to me. :(

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test