Don't quit running yet

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
http://canute1.wordpress.com/2014/0...ast-decade-5-is-running-good-for-your-health/

"The important thing about all three of these mechanisms is that there are things we can adjust about our training and our lifestyle, including diet, that have the potential to ameliorate all of these risks. Thus, even though for most of us, the health risks of endurance training and racing are small and likely to be outweighed by the benefits, we can shift the balance even further in the direction of benefit by adjusting our training and lifestyle. In future posts I will present my conclusions regarding the best strategies for achieving this."

But maybe quit HIIT.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140514205756.htm

A real grabbag of conclusions: Some subjects with pre-existing conditions, some healthy; some lifelong recreationalists, some not.

Seems to me, as we age, we can simply go by our recovery times to tell us if we're overdoing it or not. If you can recover within 12-24 hours, you're probably OK, provided you're disease-free. If exercise gives you an energy or mood boost, you're probably OK. But if it leaves you feeling worn out or tired, you're probably overdoing it.

Also, a problem with a lot of geriatric studies is they extrapolate from younger subjects to older ones, not realizing that older bodies have actually changed in composition and physiology, much as men's and women's bodies are different. Some have begun to question, for example, if some amount of higher blood pressure in older subjects is necessarily a bad thing. Should someone in their 70s have the same blood pressure as they did in their 20s?

Anyway, 2.5 hours per week seems too little to me. I would think at least an hour a day of some kind of moderate exercise is what you what to shoot for, slowly phasing out the higher intensity stuff as you get older.

I think many of the health risks are less to do with exercise and more to do with the toxic modern day environment we live in.

Maybe the reason many older people are prone to heart disease has little to do with exercise and more to do with the fact that they have been exposed to these toxins for a longer period of time.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Reactions: Bare Lee

All human life is on the internet, it's easy to find some study that will back up or dispute any claim, all you can do is look at the evidence of your own experience.

Both my mother and father have heart disease. My mum has had a heart attack and my father a quadruple bypass, my brother is on statins for high cholesterol.
Why run when you can sit back eat crap and watch other people run from a comfy sofa. This is the toxic modern day environment that has ravaged my family.
Thankfully now they are out walking and trying to make good.
So I run, have text book blood pressure and the constitution of an Ox according to my doc , that's my evidence, i'm sure many here can say the same.
Yes eventually I'll die of heart failure, everyone does or you would be immortal.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts