Donation Signature Medals

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
If you donated to the BRS at anytime in the past, please know that we will be adding the medals back to your signatures (unless you specifically asked us to keep you anonymous, which we know who you are). Please be patient as Matt finds the time to write and run a script to move them into your signatures.

I am in the process of reworking the medals and adding them to the profiles of those who have donated. I think the medals should be smaller, as they are looking kinda large. What do you think?

I am thinking the same. The thing is, they need to be readable. That's where I had trouble when I made them, trying to keep them the right size, but readable, but not too large. Argh.

Why do the badges have to have a message? A little barefoot icon by the signature image should be enough. The only folks who care about the badges are those who are really interested in the site and we will notice a small image and know what it means.

The recognition is nice, but why have levels? I don't think levels inspire others to give more.

Now if I got a tote bag and a t-shirt that would be inspiration to up my donation a level! (an attempt to make a humorous NPR fundraising reference)

~David

Why do the badges have to have a message? A little barefoot icon by the signature image should be enough. The only folks who care about the badges are those who are really interested in the site and we will notice a small image and know what it means.

The recognition is nice, but why have levels? I don't think levels inspire others to give more.

Now if I got a tote bag and a t-shirt that would be inspiration to up my donation a level! (an attempt to make a humorous NPR fundraising reference)

~David

I agree with every word. These are exactly the reasons why I hesitated to show a medal in my signature when you made them some months ago.

Thank you for your opinions, and of course, I always take heart to what people think and feel, but we have received so many positive compliments on the use of the medals. I've also been told the levels are very encouraging and a nice incentive to up the donation which helps to fund our club even more. Of course, all levels are appreciated, and we are sure to personally thank each member who donates. This is not to say we won't change the artwork in the future. We are, in fact, contemplating lots of artwork changes going forward. We are not able to offer "gifts" for donations at this time, as we do not have the manpower or income to cover the cost of the products, shipping, and recording. Jamie and I have worked long and hard on this project (all aspects of it as it currently exists), and we hashed this out over and over, and each time, we found it just wasn't feasible for us to have a gift program at this time. We apologize, but we hope you understand.

TJ, the "tote bag and t-shirt" comment was meant to be a joke! I was just thinking the badge symbol could be smaller and incorporated into the avatar pic kind of like DailyMile. You are going to take up a lot of your time trying to keep up with what level contributors should be, especially if you are able to make a recurrent monthly donation option possible.

What you are doing is awesome and I greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to remember to make a small donation monthly. If everyone made a monthly contribution that was equivalent to the cost of buying a running magazine or a latte a month it would add up fast.

~David

Or a pair of shoes in a few months' time. ;) We appreciate your continued support. And thanks for the follow-up.

I too think they should be smaller, so I was asking what you all thought on that too. It would be cool if Matt could figure out how to get them to show up in the avatar box. I know he and a developer friend of his worked hard on getting a module set up to do what they did get it to do. Since he's quite busy at the moment, and on a deserved vacation (although he keeps checking in on us), I will have to push this to the back burner, as he has lots of other work on the site that has to come first.

How about a foot print? We have five levels of donations. With each level of donation, you get another toe, until you reach the top level and get all five toes?! Ha!

We'll consider that idea then. It'll be a little while though. Sorry about that.

Sorry for the delay. What is your PayPal account name? I have about five people I am waiting to hear back from with their permission to add the medal to their signatures, that I haven't heard back from yet. You can email me privately at [email protected] with the amount you donated, when it was donated, your email address you used when donating, and real name, and I will get the medal in your signature right away. Thanks!

Thank you very much, kind sir. Just checking my email now. I will get to that right away!

If you haven't noticed, we have new signature donor images!!!!...don't know what to call them yet exactly. Toes, I guess. We have different categories for each level of donation just as before, but these are less "competitive."

Pinky Toe
Ring Toe
Middle Toe
Piggie Toe
Big Toe

If anyone has any better name ideas for these categories, please share.

BIG thanks goes to Zapmamak (look for her ad on the home page for your artwork needs or send her a PM). I love this artwork so much better than the last ones (I made). We hope you like them too, so please share some love, and let her know.

And...if you were one of those who didn't care so much for the last donor medals being added to your sigs, please reconsider. These are sharp, and so not tacky.

I actually really like the new donation medals a lot. I was just trying to find this thread to say whoever did these did an awesome job! Now if I can just come up with money so I can donate... Oh the life of a student.

Even a mere $5 will get you a Toe. ;)

TJ, I splurged on the cheapest beer I could find the other day and got yelled at because it was not in the budget right now. Unfortunately part of the funding for my GI Bill was cut because our president over spent, so he had to cut on us vets that make up less than 1% of the nation. We don't really affect the votes much. Not to mention I'm 3 years into dealing with the VA for my disability and still waiting, the VA got their budget cut drastically too. Needless to say, we are barely scraping by at the moment. I'll donate as soon as I can though.

Nick, you have served the country, you've given more than most of us so don't feel obligated.

TJ, here's a thought, in the future, maybe we could have a way to donate in honor or in memory of someone? At Christmas I make donations to the USO in memory of my Grandfather, (my grandmother appreciates this much more than a candle.) If this was available, maybe some of us could request donations to the site instead of gifts? We could have a seperate page listing these dontaions.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts