Does anyone take Pre-Workout supplements before a long run?

UCAN is starting to become

UCAN is starting to become locally available and I'm working on getting it in more places in our area. UCAN is basically nothing more than a boosted starch they call Super Starch. The other ingredients are all just flavoring. The big hang up for some seems to be that there is a small amount of Sucralose in it but I'm not really opposed to that.

Just eating healthy and

Just eating healthy and choosing the best diet is enough for me. I figure my body will do what it's designed to do naturally if I allow it to happen. I think it's a better way to keep in a habit too. Plus it's not exspensive like it is to buy supplements. :)

Hi there,I've got a big can

Hi there,

I've got a big can of Vitargo that I use for quick carbo loading. Apparently a lot of the Waxy maize starch products have stolen the research that Vitargo did and made out that it's their own research. Apparently it is the only stuff that actually works.

http://www.vitargo.com/

It doesn't slosh around in your stomach like some of these energy drinks

Cheers

neil

Just eating healthy and

Just eating healthy and choosing the best diet is enough for me. I figure my body will do what it's designed to do naturally if I allow it to happen.

Ditto

I have a bit of a challenge

I have a bit of a challenge because a med I take affects the firng of my neurons. So speed is my biggest goal.

Yesterday after a 10k I suddenly had trouble breathing for a few minutes. I put my arms over my head and felt better shortly but it was scary.

Later I was talking to a lady at the local health food place and she suggested taking cordyceps prior to a longer run. She said it imporves lung quality.

I bought some and plan to see if it helps me.

All the reviews are encouraging.

I'll take some vitamin C and

I'll take some vitamin C and drink a cup of tea but that's it. I don't want much of an increase to my resting my heart rate and metabolism, because I have this notion that I'm more likely to get exertional cramps or put unneeded stress on my body. Also, there's no sense in trying to enhance performance, because long runs are supposed to be easy.

don't think it counts as a

don't think it counts as a supplement, but for long runs it's always fried egg and cheese on a toasted english muffin, peanut butter on toast and a cup or two of coffee. Sometimes throw a little ham on that egg sammy, good mix of proteins, fats and carbs. and delicious!

Jimmy Hart, What are your

Jimmy Hart, What are your thoughtes on pacific health lab's (Accelerade) claim and patent of 4:1 Carbs to Protein. They seem to have a lot of stats backing that up. Personally, I am growing to like their products although they are a tad on the sour side and after a long run the protein tends to clump up in the water bottle and look like cottage cheese. YUM! LOL

I have been downing a Cliff bar, some Nuun and then drinking Accelerade on long runs. it seems to be working and I haven't yet puked. ;-)

From what I know

From what I know of Accelerade, which isn't much other than what I've read and the one time a friend let me try it, it's a good product. There isn't really anything out of the ordinary in it. As far as the patented 4:1 ratio goes they can't patent the ratio but what they patent is their version Trehalose which is a pretty interesting disaccharide. I like stuff that clumps in the bottle though...that would make me nervous :)

I'd say if you really like it then use it. I've become a big fan of Generation UCAN over the last year but it doesn't have the coveted 4:1 ratio. It has no protein in the pre run drink that I also drink on the run and I think 2:1 in the post run protein version but I've never cared much about the 4:1 ratio. I have always thought that was blown out of proportion and really got off that boat when everyone started touting chocloate milk as the end all perfect post workout drink. A glass of chocoloate milk will only have about 8 grams of protein at most and your Accelerade only has 5g but most studies over the years have called for 15-20g of protein post workout so which is it?

The problem with all that stuff is it is built on a grain of salt so you kind of have to go with what works best for you. If that's Accelerade then I say drink up my friend and enjoy your running!

Jimmy Hart wrote: I like

Jimmy Hart said:
I like stuff that clumps in the bottle though...that would make me nervous :)

The problem with all that stuff is it is built on a grain of salt so you kind of have to go with what works best for you. If that's Accelerade then I say drink up my friend and enjoy your running!

You mean chew it up right? ROFLMAO