Do cars avoid you more when barefoot?

Agnesd

Barefooters
Jan 24, 2012
Lake Stevens, WA
I usually just run around my neighborhood, and past a certain point there are no more sidewalks, so I'm usually running on the shoulder which is pretty wide. I was just curious if anyone else has the same experience - drivers give me a much wider berth when I'm barefoot than when I was shod.

I just notice that the cars slow WAY down and will go as far to the other side of the road as possible to get around me, when I'm not even in the road. I've even had a couple stop behind me, wait for oncoming traffic to pass, then drive all the way to the other side and around. It was never that bad when I was wearing shoes.

Is it just me? Do my bare feet make me look insane? Like I'm going to jump out in the road? I mean, I'm sure I probably am crazy, but they don't know that. ;)

I've actually had the opposite experience. I find that drivers who see that I'm barefoot actually veer towards me because they are watching me, not the road.

In the boonies, the middle of nowhere, out here, no one even tries to avoid me. k, once in a while there is a polite driver.
however, let's put it this way; it's not unusual (a few times per year) that a car will 'play chicken' with me and veer towards me on purpose, just for grins. had a few shout out that i don't belong on the road (on bike or running, because the road belongs to them)
don't think they care about barefoot or not.
yeah.
glad you live in a nice enough area that cars attempt to avoid you.

Reactions: Sid
You guys should put your bare foot up in the air as they drive by and see what they do! :D

I had a girl try to wreck her car the other day while taking a picture of me (you know, because I'm the chunky barefoot guy running while pushing a stroller). I am sure I am on her facebook wall with the caption, WTF!!!! Last year I had a car pull out in front of on coming traffic (he almost got t-boned) because he was so focused on watching me run bf. I must be a funny looking guy... ;)

I've actually had the opposite experience. I find that drivers who see that I'm barefoot actually veer towards me because they are watching me, not the road.
+1 with Ram on that one, I noticed that as well. Also they tend to slow behind me just to see if I am indeed barefoot. That leaves me a little on wary side and cautious as I do not know how they will be passing by me. It is mostly the dog I worry about as he is alway off leash and a little behind me if he hears cars coming. No cars and he is a little in front of me.

The reason they slow down and give you a wider berth is because they want to have a better look of your nice feet-me thinks.
One time I almost cause an accident. The driver got so distracted with my barefeet that he barely had time to stop before rear ending the other card. I was on the sidewalk thank goodness.

Haven't noticed any odd behavior from drivers when I'm out running BF, or walking BF with my son at the park or whatever. Yes people give me space if I'm on the road, but it seems pretty normal to me. Though I've never actually run in normal shoes so I don't have any comparison.

Cars passing close while on my bike is what makes me nervous, since they're coming up behind me instead of me being able to see them approaching.

I havent really noticed any difference bf or shod in that respect. But out in this rural area here the roads are so narrow that cars pretty much have to go to the other side, and its 55mph so they tend to give you a wide berth. Problem is the rare times where two cars happen to be coming in opposite directions and they always seem to coordinate there speeds so that they cross right at my location. I'll get off onto the grass if I can, but a lot of the areas I run dont have the ability to get off the side.

To be honest I've noticed a better response from drivers while at night, running with my headlamp and tailight. Some folks here think I am crazy to be out on the road after dark on these narrow 55mph country roads but for the most part I have noticed better response, and also less traffic, depending on what time it is.

To be honest I've noticed a better response from drivers while at night, running with my headlamp and tailight. Some folks here think I am crazy to be out on the road after dark on these narrow 55mph country roads but for the most part I have noticed better response, and also less traffic, depending on what time it is.

Me too! I'm thinking it has more to do with seeing a flashing light and not knowing whether I'm a vehicle. In that respect, the more I deck myself out like a Christmas tree, the more they avoid me at night.
Also, I tend to run at night without any lights on as long as there's a bit of moon, but then i turn on the headlamp for approaching cars. I think it surprises them and wakes them up enough to move over. Well I hope.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
. Problem is the rare times where two cars happen to be coming in opposite directions and they always seem to coordinate there speeds so that they cross right at my location. I'll get off onto the grass if I can, but a lot of the areas I run dont have the ability to get off the side.

Right?! That drives me nuts, because then everyone looks confused about what to do. Add to the mix, say, a barking dog from a farm nearby comign to see what the fuss is about, and it gets a little too interesting.
One of the reasons I like to wear at least huarches on the country roads is so that I'm a little more willing to go into the ditches/shoulders as the need arises, and this past winter, it often did, as the roads were more narrow from snow.

Right?! That drives me nuts, because then everyone looks confused about what to do. Add to the mix, say, a barking dog from a farm nearby comign to see what the fuss is about, and it gets a little too interesting.
One of the reasons I like to wear at least huarches on the country roads is so that I'm a little more willing to go into the ditches/shoulders as the need arises, and this past winter, it often did, as the roads were more narrow from snow.

So if you and Tristan disappear from the forum can we assume the worst? :)

I've noticed that cars slow down from time to time. If I'm running on pavement, it's typically a sidewalk, and usually with the flow of traffic. And I can just about tell from the sound of the approaching engine the exact moment when the driver has noticed that I'm barefoot. Several times, I've had cars pass me at a much slower speed than I know they would normally be moving, and considering the fact that I'm not at all in the roadway but up on a sidewalk, I can only attribute that to the bare feet. I never had that experience running in the same area while shod.

I choose to believe that they are gobsmacked by my superhuman athleticism and barefoot hardass-ness, as opposed to trying to figure out what the hell that guy is doing running on concrete with no shoes. Keeps me smiling and delusional.

I choose to believe that they are gobsmacked by my superhuman athleticism and barefoot hardass-ness, as opposed to trying to figure out what the hell that guy is doing running on concrete with no shoes. Keeps me smiling and delusional.

I'm certainly not superhumanly athletic, but I am smiling and delusional. =)

A couple of nights ago I was running home when a Vespa rider passed me and then slowed down. He followed me for a couple of blocks, I'd thought he was looking for a particular address, but then he caught up to me and asked if I was running forefoot or midfoot and then if I was touching down on the side of my foot first.
Not a typical conversation for a commute!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
A couple of nights ago I was running home when a Vespa rider passed me and then slowed down. He followed me for a couple of blocks, I'd thought he was looking for a particular address, but then he caught up to me and asked if I was running forefoot or midfoot and then if I was touching down on the side of my foot first.
Not a typical conversation for a commute!
Sounds like the Vespa rider was a little edicated about bf running.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS