denied entry on the plane

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
so last week i took a southwest flight to San Diego. i was denied entry onto the plane. they wouldn't even give me my ticket without me putting on shoes. i told them i don't have shoes, which was the truth. they were in my suitcase. he went and got the supervisor who promptly told me i had to put shoes on or they would refund my ticket and allow me to fly with someone else.

at this point i couldn't challenge her authority. i didn't print out my ticket. had i, i would've. i assured her i had my sandals in my backpack in case i needed them. i told her i would put them on to board the plane. there was no way i could get another ticket at that price on that short of notice.

i went to the terminal and saw her there talking with the agents. obviously to make sure i put them on. jeez. i'm ready to write the company a letter. what do some of you think? i flew with them in June and didn't put anything on. of course except to enter the bathroom. sandals stuck to the floor in there. disgusting.

LB? would i waste my time? worth it or drop it? i don't like that i was told to put them on. you should've heard the excuses from the ticket agent. "my safety. if the plane crashes." i just laughed at the young kid.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
I've flown more then several times this year where I left my hotel in the morning without any footwear, and traveled all the way home by air barefoot without being asked. I always carry some flip flops in my backpack in case I get asked to put on footwear. I have been asked whether if I had footwear with me, to which I replied that I had and showed them that I had flip flops with me. If I was asked to put them on then I complied, I did not think it would be a good idea to argue in a airport with all the security things that are in place these days. I can honestly say that I do not get challenged all that often. On a side note I remember a time where I was actually carrying the flip flops in my hands for some reason when I was asked about footwear at the boarding gate. I showed her the flip flops and told her with a smile on my face that I danced so much the night before that my feet hurt, and everything was good. :)

Reactions: happysongbird
In case the plane crashes??? That's just embarrassing :p

Reactions: happysongbird
you should've heard the excuses from the ticket agent. "my safety. if the plane crashes." i just laughed at the young kid.

OK, being a health and safety consultant, there is some validity to this, but a small amount. Naturally, what they're referring to is having to walk on debris and random bits of plane while trying to escape a crashed and possibly burning jet. We talk about soft-stepping it over nasty surfaces when we run, but in a crash, this could lead to delaying others exit, so I can see where they're coming from.

NOW - that said - more often than not, if there is a plane crash, it typically ends in death. True, there are exceptions, but in the most likely cases, lack of footwear is not going to make any difference in the outcome. Further, if they are truly concerned about passenger safety in the event of a crash, they need to mandate that shoes are a) close-toed, b) thick soled, and c) no high heels. Flip flops would provide precious little protection in a crash, yet they allow flip flops to be worn on the plane without question.

I'd say write a polite, eloquent letter - it probably won't make a difference, but it can't hurt either...

You should have told them you were just thinking ahead for the security check. You have to take your shoes off there anyway, so why not get started early and ensure everyone that you dont have a bomb in your non-existent shoes?

Ahcuah, he said it was Southwest, if that helps.

Ahcuah, he said it was Southwest, if that helps.

Yeah, Southwest's is typically stupid. They may refuse transport to "Persons who are barefoot and older than five years of age, unless required due to a disability."

That blows out of the water all of the "safety" excuses. Because if safety is really the reason, then we want to make sure that kids 5 and younger aren't safe! Pfft. It might have been fun if he talked about a disability . . .

i thought about disability but didn't have a Dr's note to produce if asked for it. i did tell them i was getting a jump on security. didn't matter to the kid. he ran off to get mom because i was non compliant. it's pretty damn stupid they want you taking your shoes off to pass security yet you have to put them on to board the plane. stupidity has no boundaries.

they also made me go through the xray machine because i had a beanie on. they have obviously forgotten they are in the service industry.

i thought about disability but didn't have a Dr's note to produce if asked for it. i did tell them i was getting a jump on security. didn't matter to the kid. he ran off to get mom because i was non compliant. it's pretty damn stupid they want you taking your shoes off to pass security yet you have to put them on to board the plane. stupidity has no boundaries.

they also made me go through the xray machine because i had a beanie on. they have obviously forgotten they are in the service industry.

I was thinking about this...you should have asked them "...and what would you do if I didn't have any feet, Mr. Smarty Airplane Guy?"

What would they say to me, if I pushed the issue and refused to wear shoes? I have a letter from my doctor, now, that says I am dealing with neuropathy.

What would they say to me, if I pushed the issue and refused to wear shoes? I have a letter from my doctor, now, that says I am dealing with neuropathy.

I think you'd wind up on the evening news while being interrogated by the TSA, the FBI, the CIA, the FAA, the DOT, NASA, the AMA, the ADA, and the APA. All the while, you'd still be SOL.

The larger question is: Did they say you had to wear shoes on your feet? "Of course, I always wear shoes on my hands; don't you?"

If you flew Southwest, you can wave their Contract of Carriage in their faces. (For other airlines, the ADA might work.) Seriously, if I were you and about to fly Southwest, I would call them first, ask to talk to guest relations, and explain the situation (including the note from your doctor). And make it clear that you expect to be able to fly barefoot and that because you are warning them in advance, there had better not be any trouble.

After all, what's the point of having it in the Contract of Carriage if it is only honored in the breach?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
If you flew Southwest, you can wave their Contract of Carriage in their faces. (For other airlines, the ADA might work.) Seriously, if I were you and about to fly Southwest, I would call them first, ask to talk to guest relations, and explain the situation (including the note from your doctor). And make it clear that you expect to be able to fly barefoot and that because you are warning them in advance, there had better not be any trouble.

After all, what's the point of having it in the Contract of Carriage if it is only honored in the breach?

Excellent point, that. But just in case, I'd show up several hours early for the flight...

Reactions: Ahcuah
Also, many passengers take off the footwear as soon as they get situated and no flight attendant will ever tell them to put the shoes on to enable safer exit after a crash. Lol

I typically take my shoes off as soon as I get on the plane in long haul, and I've been asked to put them back on for TO/Landing.

To be honest, given a choice of being bolshie over that vs walking on debris (burning or not) I can stand wering my shoes for another 10 minutes.

The local supermarket however, I've been thrown out of.

Reactions: BFwillie_g