Crazy little rocks

Cali Girl

Barefooters
May 12, 2010
I use the term "rock" very lightly because this thing was smaller than a pea.

So, this morning while out running I picked up a pebble on the bottom of my big toe. I came down on it right at the base of the pad and the pressure that shot through my toe felt as though my toe nail was going to shoot off. I came to a screeching halt because I actually though I had picked up a nail, tac, glass shard or something besides a tiny freaking rock.

I knocked the rock off then took a few steps to test things out. It hurt bad. I couldn't believe it. That area of my toe is very, very sensitive anyway for some reason. I used to have a callous there that has worn off since starting BFR so maybe that is it. Anyway, after a min or so of walking I was able to run again with very little discomfort and so was able to finish my first 2 mi fartlek run(was loads of fun!).

I washed my feet and checked it out closely after getting home. There is not even a scratch. The area is a little tender but otherwise fine. Funny thing thoug is that about 1/4" up from where I landed on the rock, on the side of my toe up closer to my toe nail I have a small bruise. Of course, this is the same toe that I have been trying to kill with death by stubbing. lol

Can't wait for Wednesday's run! Woot!

Do you suppose that callus

Do you suppose that callus was protecting you then, preventing you from feeling too much pain during normal use? But then wearing it off made you more vulnerable?

I hit exactly that same spot

I hit exactly that same spot on my toe a few weeks ago, only I landed on a tree root. . I too stopped, checked it out, then the pain went away after a bit. I assume I poked a nerve just "right". I don't know if I had a toe bruise, though-- I don't remember one, but I don't think I looked very closely, either.

I run mostly on gravel roads,

I run mostly on gravel roads, and occasionally I get brave and run them without my vff's. Until I hit that very same spot with a small stone. It used to be enough to bring me to my knees, but it has gotten better as time goes on. I would compare it to hitting your funny bone.

I hate those tiny little

I hate those tiny little rocks....but not as much as the pointy ones you don't see who get you right in the soft spot of the arch...most of the trails I run are old logging roads, filled with PA red shale and all sorts of "fun" sizes of rocks....today, I tried to run 6.5 miles , 3.2 up a mountain (800 feet incline) and 3.2 back down...I couldn't run the whole way today, so I ended up walking some of it. It occurred to me half way down if I was hiking this, with hiking boots on, I'd be a lot faster...it also occurred to me that I can't wait until the capacity of my feet allows me to go faster. I did, for about a minute and a half, seriously think that VFFs or other minimalist shoes would be a good idea for this type of running...then I remembered that I love pain, and for me, I'd feel I was cheating :)....NOT that I think anyone who wears them are cheaters.....so for now, I'll be slow on these types of trails, and fast as hell on the macadam :-D. I just hope that come April, when I do a 25K Trail Race called The Hyner Challenge, that has a total incline of 4200 feet, my feet can carry me up and over and down again like a mountain goat!! I REALLY don't want to wear shoes of any kind.

Hey TJ. I'm not sure. Even

Hey TJ. I'm not sure. Even when the callous was there the spot was very sensitive if I hit it with something. I always thought it was due to the callous but evidently that is just how it is. The bruise is spreading a bit but not overly dark and I'm having no pain at all so I'm not concerned about it. I just thought it was strange to impact the rock on the bottom of my toe and yet bruise in a completely different spot. lol

Bruising can move around a

Bruising can move around a lot. Ever seen someone with a black eye after being hit in the forehead? Probably when you hit the rock it broke a little blood vessel deep in the toe and the blood didn't settle at the point of contact, but rather traveled through the tissue to an adjacent area. Another example is when someone has a stress fracture at the top of their foot and the bruise is down on the side.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test