Concurrent Strength Training & Running 2015: Eight-Week Workout Cycle VII

Thanks for the thoughts and insight. Yeah there are multiple variables you can adjust with the microloading that I think can be useful. I have been thinking about going back and forth between a heavy squat one week and a heavy deadlift the other. Then on the off week drop some weight and maybe increase a rep or two to make it kind of a medium intensity day. Then it will be one higher intensity lower day a week.

Forgot about using the bike as a conditioning tool, maybe that's what I'll do instead of an extra day of conditioning. Then have a fun day in the gym once a wekk to fill in the gaps. I don't have a bike computer so I am still in the dark about speeds and or HR. Maybe I should pick up a cheaper one that will help with that.

We should probably get a new thread created soon huh, I need to put together the full lifting plan this weekend to get started on Monday. I'm gonna go work on that.

Happy new year!

Thanks for the thoughts and insight. Yeah there are multiple variables you can adjust with the microloading that I think can be useful. I have been thinking about going back and forth between a heavy squat one week and a heavy deadlift the other. Then on the off week drop some weight and maybe increase a rep or two to make it kind of a medium intensity day. Then it will be one higher intensity lower day a week.

Forgot about using the bike as a conditioning tool, maybe that's what I'll do instead of an extra day of conditioning. Then have a fun day in the gym once a wekk to fill in the gaps. I don't have a bike computer so I am still in the dark about speeds and or HR. Maybe I should pick up a cheaper one that will help with that.

We should probably get a new thread created soon huh, I need to put together the full lifting plan this weekend to get started on Monday. I'm gonna go work on that.

Happy new year!
Yah, I've been thinking about alternating Squat and Deadlift intensities, along with Bench Press and Overhead Press intensities, as doing all of them at the same intensity might start to get to be too much. I'm going to try to get through the next cycle a bit on feel if it starts to feel like too much, probably back off on the DL and BP but maintain the Squat and Press, but if that doesn't work I'll program in the alternations more strictly. I'm hoping with the 2/3/5/7+ I'll have a little leeway in picking the right combo of rep counts on any given day, but hopefully I'll be able to do most of the lifts 2/3/5/7+ most days.

I dunno, can't you just push the pace on the bike and when it gets tiring back off to more of an aerobic pace? I really think the whole Heart Rate Monitor stuff is another example of an elite protocol being adopted inappropriately by the masses, where a few beats here or there can't possibly matter. Kinda like a novice or intermediate lifter adopting a Westside program. Anyway, that's my plan, just do fartleks on the bike (or rower). Over time, I'm assuming my aerobic conditioning will improve just by pushing it a little bit more each time or each week. As for speed, the speed limit on my bike trails is 10mph and I'm already over that! Seriously, I've liked my Garmin Edge 200 except for the day it screwed up under cloudy skies. I think a decent non-GPS bike computer can be had for $50-100, a bit more if you want cadence, HR, or altimeter.

BTW, I think I got all my cycle and year goals and assessments posted. I have to edit them a bit. Hopefully Monday.

I tried to post some up but was having issues with the site earlier. It seems like either our long year posts or site maintenance is slowing things down. I'll follow up with a bit more later.

Yah, I've been thinking about alternating Squat and Deadlift intensities, along with Bench Press and Overhead Press intensities, as doing all of them at the same intensity might start to get to be too much. I'm going to try to get through the next cycle a bit on feel if it starts to feel like too much, probably back off on the DL and BP but maintain the Squat and Press, but if that doesn't work I'll program in the alternations more strictly. I'm hoping with the 2/3/5/7+ I'll have a little leeway in picking the right combo of rep counts on any given day, but hopefully I'll be able to do most of the lifts 2/3/5/7+ most days.

I dunno, can't you just push the pace on the bike and when it gets tiring back off to more of an aerobic pace? I really think the whole Heart Rate Monitor stuff is another example of an elite protocol being adopted inappropriately by the masses, where a few beats here or there can't possibly matter. Kinda like a novice or intermediate lifter adopting a Westside program. Anyway, that's my plan, just do fartleks on the bike (or rower). Over time, I'm assuming my aerobic conditioning will improve just by pushing it a little bit more each time or each week. As for speed, the speed limit on my bike trails is 10mph and I'm already over that! Seriously, I've liked my Garmin Edge 200 except for the day it screwed up under cloudy skies. I think a decent non-GPS bike computer can be had for $50-100, a bit more if you want cadence, HR, or altimeter.

BTW, I think I got all my cycle and year goals and assessments posted. I have to edit them a bit. Hopefully Monday.

I like the look of your 2/3/5/7, oh and nice job on your squats the other day, you are really breaking into new boundaries, that 3 plate squat is right around the corner.

Yeah I can go old school with the bike intervals, I just cheat a bit with fartleks, and having a babysitter helps keep me honest. Although I think I already push pretty hard on the bike so I am not sure how much more I can do even on an interval basis. And I have enough electronics already so I probably don't need another. My wife got a garmin handheld for xmas that I can use for a touring trip if I want so I will probably skip on a computer for now.

They do have speed limits on the trails there? that's too bad, they should probably build a nice foot trail on each side instead. I guess you will have to graduate to the roads eventually. Oh by the way I bought one of these for the bike http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hotshot-2-Watt-Rechargeable-Taillight/dp/B005DVA57Y I have been very happy with it. I notice cars give me much more room now than with my other cheapy rear light. The battery last forever too. So the combination of this headlamp http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Eyes-1...468_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SXMD8YB4QE0MJYEYWJ0 and that rear lamb I feel much more comfortable on the road.