Concurrent Strength & Endurance Training 2016: Cycle I

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Welcome to Cycle I of Concurrent Strength & Endurance Training 2016!

We are fitness enthusiasts who endeavor to effectively combine strength training with endurance training and/or conditioning in the same training week. Eight weeks equals one training cycle. After six cycles, we'll end the year with a truncated four-week cycle. Each cycle begins with a new thread. At the top of the thread we post our training logs and programming goals and protocols for that cycle. Then in the ensuing comments we discuss training ideas, training progress, and offer each other encouragement. Anyone interested in this style of training is welcome to participate, in either the logs or the comments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loading Chart for Last Year:

2015 Loading Chart Final 16.01.jpg

(Highlighted sections are with no or little activity due to shingles and meniscus issue)

Loading Chart for this Year (projected):

2016 Weekly Loading Projections 15.01.02.jpg

These projections are based on a two-pound-per-week Squat increase. Using the Squat increase as a base unit, the other lifts' increases are derived using the Iron Ratio:

OHP = 1
P RW = 1.25
PD = 1.35
BP = 1.5
SQ = 2
DL = 2.3

So, for example, if the Squat increases two pounds, the Overhead Press increases one pound and the Bench Press a pound and a half, and so on.

It is doubtful I will be able to sustain this rate of increase over the course of a year, but I'm hopeful it will last at least through spring.

Goals for this Year:

1.) Strength gains across all the lifts, based on Squat progress and aligned with the Iron Ratio. Squat 1RM PR up 50-100 pounds.
2.) Two to three times better aerobic fitness
3.) 20-40 pounds fat loss
4.) Better mobility.

Goals for this Cycle:

1.) Squat 1RM PR up 16 pounds, surpass old OH Press 1RM PR of 160 in Week 7.
2.) Improved aerobic fitness
3.) Greater mobility
4.) Test out the 2/3/5/7+ protocol

Programming for this Cycle:

In this cycle I will experiment with the 2/3/5/7+ protocol for all five main barbell lifts. I will minimally try to get in three sets for each lift, but may diverge from the pyramiding rep-counts from time to time, according to feel. So, for example, I may follow the 2/3/5/7+ protocol on my Squats, but choose to do three sets of five for my OHP, or three sets of triples for my Bench.

---------------Week 1: Cycle I---------------
Template for this week:

2016 Cycle 1 Week 1--16.01.03.jpg

This week I will project to a 900-pound total for the three powerlifting lifts (upper right-hand corner of chart). Might be tempting to test my singles at the end of the week.

Sunday, 16.01.03
AM
Bike Commuting
One mile.

PM
Cycling
11.2 miles. Felt a bit foolish riding with studded tires when all the paths were clear of snow and ice. I listened to music, which drowned out the quiet ripping sound of the studs on asphalt.

Monday, 16.01.04
PM
Lifting
BP: 1/1/1/1 @ 220 | 2 @ 215/210/205 | 3 @ 195

I felt like crap after staying up past my bedtime and drinking beer while watching the Vikings play the Packers Sunday night. I also have a mild but lingering sore throat that seems to be sapping my energy. I didn't know if it would be safe to squat heavy in this state, so I decided just to check to see where my Bench Press was at. I forgot my Excel workout sheet at my office, and I hadn't benched in a while so I wasn't sure where my rep-counts were supposed to be. However, I knew my Squat 1RM was 310 for this week, so that times .75 gave me a Bench Press load of 232.5 ((75 x 3) + (75 x .1)). So I started at 220, which should be about my double weight or 95% of 1RM (5% of 100 + 5% of 100 + 5% of 32.5 pounds = about 12 pounds subtracted from 232).

That felt pretty heavy, and with the safety bars on either side, there was no way to cheat form a bit and splay my elbows out more. I did three more sets but never felt ready for a second rep. So I took off five and doubled but almost stalled on the second rep. My triple load is supposed to be 209, but only once I got to 195 was I able to do a triple, which is actually lower than my projected quintuple load.

So I have a little catching up to do. As the Squat loads increase, I'm no longer able to take the Bench Press for granted. It was probably more neural rust than skeletal-muscular flab, but it might take a week or two to get it to where it's supposed to be. The good news is that my right anterior delt handled the loads just fine, so that issue seems to have resolved itself.

I have to say, it just doesn't feel right to work out without squatting. I miss the full-body experience.

Tuesday, 16.01.05
AM
Bike Commuting
One mile.

PM
Walk-Running
One mile.

I worked late and missed my shifted lifting session then decided to fix my bike's rear taillight with some JB Weld, so I left my bike in my office to let it cure and walked home. I ran a little bit on flat ground, but my legs felt cranky--ankles, knees, maybe even hips. I'm totally out of running shape now, but I think some sort of running would be good for strengthening my lower legs. A little further on I ran up a hill, and that went OK. So perhaps the intuition that hills might still work with my meniscus issue is correct. I will have to test it out one of these days with 3-4 hill laps on one of my neighborhood's big-hilled streets. Really seems like some sort of running, no matter how reduced, would be good for my general fitness. I don't know if it's healthy to be avoiding that sort of impact altogether, in other words, just need to minimize the repetitive stress I think.

Wednesday, 16.01.06
PM
Lifting
SQ: 1 @ 295 | 2 @ 279 | 3 @ 265
"Strip the Rack" OHP: 3 x 3 @ 85
RDL: 3 x 3 @ 265
P RW: 3 x 5 @ 165

I really felt like crap, having slept only four hours and with my mild sore throat still lingering. So did my squat loads one rep less than they're supposed to be, just to feel the weight so I'm primed for a hopefully better workout Friday. At my quintuple weight I skipped two reps.

I wasn't looking forward to my Press and was looking with a little trepidation at 140 loaded on my bar for my first workset, when I remembered Thibaudieu's latest fluff piece over at Testicle-Nation, about stripping or scraping the rack presses: https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-the-strip-the-rack-press. I thought experimenting with those would be a good excuse not to do my regularly programmed 2/3/5/7+ TK OHP sets, yet it would still prime the pressing muscles for Friday's workout. Man, they were a lot harder than I thought they'd be. I had to reduce the load all the way down to 85 pounds, just to get in some triples, and even then they were a challenge. Felt it most in my lower and mid back. I could see doing these once in a while if I could figure out a way not to strip the pain off the rack. Maybe some kind of plastic wrap or PVC pipe on the bar, which would also reduce friction.

Anyway, wife and son came home at that point. I was already extremely demotivated so I just finished up with some RDLs and P Rows, just to prime everything for Friday. Oh well, at least I got something in. I think that's huge on these kinds of low-energy days, just to maintain some consistency, because consistency is crucial, the infrastructure, in high-frequency programming. And my 2/3/5/7+ protocol helps me make these adjustments. Not that they weren't possible before, but having all the rep counts displayed on my sheet is kind of a like a set menu with each item optionally served à la carte.

Thursday, 16.01.07
AM
Walk Commuting
One mile. A fresh coating of snow made for a pleasant, dark walk to work.

PM
Rowing
53 minutes. It's harder than I thought it would be to embrace winter cycling. Rowing is a lot less rigamarole.

Bike Commuting
One Mile.

Looking at my workout sheet, it's a bit daunting. Re-reading an old article on Rippetoe during lunch (https://www.t-nation.com/training/most-lifters-are-still-beginners), and he doesn't come close to my volume, yet he usefully reminds me that until I stop making steady Squat gains, I'm essentially a beginner.

So maybe I should follow some kind of split?

One possibility:

A (Monday)
Squat: 2/3/5/7+
OHP: 2/3/5/7+
P Rw: 2/3/5/7+
S/N/CN PD 2 x 3/5/7
///
Pullover
Dips

B (Wednesday)
Deadlift: 2/3/5/7+
Bench: 2/3/5/7+
///
1DB Rw
LM Twist

A (Friday)
S/N/CN PD 2 x 3/5/7
///
Pullover
Dips

Here I'm still Squatting every workout, yet following Rip's advice to only deadlift once a week. It also established a 2:1 ratio of OHP to BP, which I think is about right. I can still work the pecs on the A workout if I do the optional assistance dips. And if I miss a workout out or two, I still get in the essentials, either A & B, or just A.

One another possibility:

A (Monday)
Romanian Deadlift: 7/7
2DB Bench: 7/7
S/N/CN PD 2 x 3/5/7
///
Pullover
Dips

B (Wednesday)
Squat: 7/7
2DB OHP: 7/7
Deadlift: 2/3/5/7+
Bench: 2/3/5/7+
P Rw: 7/7
S/N/CN PD 2 x 3/5/7
///
1DB Rw
LM Twist

A (Friday)
Romanian Deadlift: 7/7
2DB Bench: 7/7
S/N/CN PD 2 x 3/5/7
///
Pullover
Dips

The main idea would be to avoid doing the SQ, OHP, DL, and BP full bore every time, as Abide has, but rather spliting them so that SQ and OHP are done intensely twice a week, SQ maybe three times a week, and DL and BP are done intensely just once a week. But in the second possibility the movements are practiced every workout, either (1) intensely or (2) lightly and/or as ROM variations. In the first possibility, the movements are either practiced (1) intensely or (2) not at all, or as an assistance variation.

I'll still give the program as written a shot tomorrow in Friday's workout, but looking at my chart, it's just a lot to get through. I don't know if I have the mental fortitude to do so many lifts heavy in the same workout, although I think my body could probably handle it. Just gets to be such a chore, and may run over an hour too.

Friday, 16.01.08
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles. Beautiful inch or so of snow covering everything in the morning. Winter wonderland. Studded tires with deep treads performed well.

PM
Lifting
SQ: 1@300 | [email protected] | 3@280 | 5@265
TH OHP: 1@157.5 | 1@150 | 3@140 | 5@132
RDL: 5/7@232
BP: 5/7@175
P Rw: [email protected] | 3@175 | 5@165 | 7@146

Got it in my head to squat a 1RM PR at 300 pounds, just ten pounds less than my projected 1RM, but also only five pounds more than my true double weight. Man, it felt heavy coming off the rack, but it was fairly easy to actually squat it.

On the Press, I loaded my double ten pounds too heavy, having mistakenly loaded 10-pound plates instead of fives. Opps. I failed at 157.5, but I think that was mostly because I wasn't prepared for what turned out to be my projected 1RM. With the right mindset, I think I could've done it as a single. I still hadn't realized my mistake when I tried triples at 150 instead of 140, and only managed one rep. I thought man, how could the squats be so manageable but the press so hard? My body felt relatively good compared to Monday and Wednesday's workouts. Then when it was time to do my quintuples I noticed I was taking 20 pounds off the bar, which couldn't be right, and then I became aware of my mistake. So I did my normal three- and five-rep sets. I didn't do my seven-rep set because I wanted to have some juice left for the rest of the workout, and I had already expended some extra energy struggling with the heavy Squat and Press loads.

But once I got to the DL, my instincts led me to conclude that more heavy sets would be too much on a regular basis, maybe even on this day, but I needed to do something, and lighter seven-rep sets seem like the answer. Same for the BP. So I think that's what I'll try next week. Do the Squat, OHP, and Row 2/3/5/7+ on Monday and Fridays, and do the DL and BP 2/3/5/7+ on Wednesday. Then do Supine-, Neutral-, and Close Neutral-grip Pulldowns everyday, but a little lighter. On the days a lift isn't done 2/3/5/7+, I'll just do two sets of 5-7 reps to practice the movement and keep the joints loose. This way I only have to psych myself up for two heavy lifts in any given workout. That should be manageable. I think over the last few weeks my CNS has been rebelling a bit. The loads are heavy enough now that I just don't have the motivation to do everything with equal intensity, and yet I'm reluctant to let go of the six-lift, full-body routine. Just wouldn't feel right, for example, to skip the DL and BP altogether after the Press and move on directly to the Row.

Anyway, my right shoulder felt pretty good throughout the workout--the crankiness seems to be almost gone--but I did still feel a twinge of tendinitis in my right elbow when doing the RDLs.

Overall, not a bad end to a mediocre week. I think I did enough to merit microcroloading the squat two more pounds next week. The DL and BP still have a little catching up to do, but I should be able to do that while the Squat and Press advance. And I think I may have figured out the right tweak to make the pyramiding 2/3/5/7+ protocol work.

Saturday, 16.01.09
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles. 10F/-13F WC in the morning. Temps really dropped overnight, first really cold weather of the season. We're supposed to have a cold stretch now for a week or so. The above-freezing snow melt of Friday afternoon had turned into a thin layer of ice on all the roads by morning, but my studded tires performed well.

---------------Week 2: Cycle I---------------

Template for this week:

2016 Cycle 1 Week 2--16.01.10.jpg

I'm going to go ahead with the tweak I considered last Friday:

A (Monday)
SQ: 2/3/5/7+
RDL: 7/7
2DB BP: 7/7
S/N/CN PD: 2 x 3/5/7
---------------
Pullover: 5/5
Dips: 5/5

B (Wednesday)
SQ: 7/7
2DB OHP: 7/7
DL: 2/3/5/7+
BP: 2/3/5/7+
P Rw: 7/7
---------------
1DB Rw: 5/5
LM Twist: 5/5

A (Friday)
SQ: 2/3/5/7+
RDL: 7/7
2DB BP: 7/7
---------------
Pullover 5/5
Dips: 5/5

Basically: Heavy-Light-Heavy for the Squat, Overhead Press, and Pendlay Row; L-H-L for the Deadlift and Bench Press; and Pulldowns always medium intensity. Hopefully that will strike a nice balance. By doing the Squat and Press heavy twice a week, I kinda go back to the idea that those two lifts drive the other two performance lifts, the Deadlift and Bench Press, respectively, which are done heavy just once a week, and so should be done intensely with more frequency.

Sunday, 16.01.10
AM
Bike Commuting
One mile. -7F/-33F WC. Ended up not going on my bike ride yesterday, so have to do it today, when it's even colder. Thinking about riding a route that takes me past the Vikings' temporary stadium while their playoff game is going on, to check out the atmosphere. Supposed to be one of the coldest playoff games ever.

PM
Rowing
5 Minutes, higher intensity. Right elbow tendinitis stayed in check.

Cycling
4 miles. 0F. Couldn't decide between my ride and getting home earlier so that I could hang out with the family. Ended up diverting a bit on the way home so that I could pass by the Vikes' game. It was the third-coldest playoff game on record, I think.

Monday, 16.01.11
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles. -8F/-10F WC. Rode in just my bib tights and Sockwas with no socks or insole. Toes were getting cold by the time I got to my office.

Had to get the phone socket in my cell fixed before picking up the kids. Wanted to work out over dinner hour, but my older brother was visiting. Oh well, just as well. It's supposed to be bitterly cold Tuesday as well, but then it warms up a bit on Wednesday, so it will work out better if I lift on Tuesday and postpone my ride till Wednesday.

Tuesday, 16.01.12
AM
0F, -24F WC.
First car wouldn't start, but second one did. Fingers got cold just walking to the car and fumbling for the keys.

PM
Lifting
SQ: [email protected] | 3@281 | 3@265

Really felt like crap, still with a lingering sore throat. The double load felt really heavy, but I think it's mostly because I rushed the warm-up sets a bit, and our unheated, attached garage is pretty cold with these sub-zero and single digit temps. Nonetheless, the triples felt solid, and I could've done my quintuples, but I pied out and just did three reps at 265. My forehead was beginning to felt a little hot, slightly feverish, and I was a little weak from hunger. I decided that I would try the workout again the next day, so no reason to continue the squats and require recovery time.

Wednesday, 16.01.13
Was going to lift, helped my brother fix a washing machine instead.
Man, it feels like it's been months since I got in a solid week.

Thursday, 16.01.14
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles.

PM
Lifting
SQ: 5/5@235
TK OHP: 5/5@85
BP: 5/5@175
DL: 5/5@215

Still feeling like crap, completely unmotivated, so I just did the main lifts light to prime theme for a better workout on either Friday or Saturday. At dinner time I felt cold and went straight to bed afterwards, more tired than sick, but in a weird sort of way. Almost feels like the onset of malaria.

Friday, 16.01.15
PM
Lifting
SQ: 1/[email protected] | [email protected] | 5@266 | 7@235

Thursday's priming did a lot of good, and I slept eight hours that night, but I was still a little low-energy, so I decided to just do Squats and then try to get in the other lifts on Saturday. Hopefully this will be enough to set me up for a productive third week.

Saturday, 16.01.16
Had to go to a funeral.

---------------Week 3: Cycle I---------------
Template for this week:

2016 Cycle 1 Week 3--16.01.17.jpg

Hopefully this week, the third week of the cycle already, I'll get to implement some semblance of the plan.

Sunday, 16.01.17
PM
Rowing
40 minutes.

Monday, 16.01.18
PM
Lifting
SQ: 1/[email protected] | 2@283 | 3@267

Felt good waking up, by afternoon I was starting to feel the sore throat/tooth ache and had low energy. The weight felt pretty heavy, and I was almost worried I won't be able to get it back up. Screw it, I called it a day and cleaned up the basement. After dinner my throat, ear canal, and toother were really hurting. Time to see a doctor I guess, but I doubt there's anything they can say.

Tuesday, 16.01.19
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles. -8 F, no windchill in the morning. This is supposed to be the last really cold day of the season . . .

Wednesday, 16.01.20
AM
Saw doctor, he prescribed amoxicillin. I probably have some low-level bacterial infection in my throat and ear canal, maybe glands as well. I'll wait until my chronic tiredness passes before I work out again.

Thursday, 16.01.21
AM
Bike Commuting
One mile.

PM
2.5 miles. Rode to ATM on the way home. The antibiotics are having an immediate effect. I went from sick-tired to just tired-tired. I coulda/shoulda gone on a longer bike ride.

Friday, 16.01.22

Saturday, 16.01.23
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles. Highs in the 20s again. Still feeling a little too weak to lift, but should've gone cycling.

---------------Week 4: Cycle I---------------
Sunday, 16.01.24
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two miles.

PM
Rowing
30 mins. Hopefully I'll be able to lift tomorrow, then this rowing will count as priming.

Monday, 16.01.25
PM
Lifting
SQ: 1/2 @265
TK OHP: 5/5/5 @ 85
RDL: 5/5/5 @ 215
BP: 5/5/5 @ 125
P RW: 5/5/5 @ 125

Low on sleep, but the antibiotics seem to be doing there job, so I was tired-tired instead of sick-tired. Time to get back on the lifting train. I just primed everything, with the hope that I could do Workout A on Tuesday and Workout B on Wednesday, and thus get in a full workout week despite the time off. Looks like Abide is getting better too.

Tuesday, 16.01.26
Wednesday, 16.01.27

PM
Rowing
40 mins.

Thursday, 16.01.28
PM
SQ: 1/2 @ 295 | 3 @ 280 | 3 @ 265 | 6 @ 235
OHP: 3/3 @ 135 | 3/2 @ 125
RDL: 3/3/2 @ 275
BP: 5/5/5 @ 185
P Rw: 5/5/5 @ 155
S PD: 5/5 @ 180

Finally worked out at the university gym. Not too many people at the end of the afternoon and lots of space. It was nice to do my OHP standing instead of kneeling. I may have to work in a few push press reps next time. Everything was a little off but not as bad as I expected. Will try for another workout on Saturday.

Friday, 16.01.29
PM
Rowing
47 mins. Decided against my bike ride for some reason. Maybe I want to have full energy for tomorrow's lifting. I really want to get back to where I was as quickly as possible.

Saturday, 16.01.30
PM
Rowing
31 mins. Full workday and still sore from Thursday's squats. So decided to me kind to myself and just row. Good news is that even with sporadic aerobic exercise for the last several months, my blood pressure isn't too bad. My wife had insisted on practicing the old school technique on me. I was expecting worse. Weight is starting to come down a bit too. Spring is springing internally.

---------------Week 5: Cycle I---------------
Sunday, 16.01.31
AM/PM
Bike Commuting
Two Miles.

Monday, 16.02.01
PM

SQ: 1/1 @ 295 | 2 @ 280 | 2/2 @ 265
Clean-Press: 3/3 @ 105

Tried to get in a quick workout at the university even though I was running out of time to go pick up the kids for dental appointments. I was under-fueled and felt weak as soon as I started lifting. OH well, at least I got something in. Hard to say how the clean-press combo will go, I didn't have enough energy to put on a decent load. I'll try again Wednesday. Two young women next to my rack doing partial squats. I really wanted to correct them, but it would probably be interpreted as a come-on from an old perv. The same guy with the sideless, sleeveless t-shirt was there, must be his workout time. I'll soon be lifting earlier in the day as soon as classes get going on Wednesday. There were also a couple of guys who looked like football players there, lifting big weights and reminding me of how paltry my progress has been. Even a skinny dude squatting almost as much as me. That's one plus for the home gym, you can be a little delusional.

Tuesday, 16.02.02
PM
Rowing
42.5 mins.

Wednesday, 16.02.03
Thursday, 16.02.04
Friday, 16.02.05

Noon
SQ: 1/2 @ 285 | 2 @ 270 | 3 @ 255 | 5 @ 225
OHP: 1/2/3 @ 135 | 5 @ 125 | 5 @ 115
RDL: 3/5/3 @ 225
BP: 3/3/3 @ 185
P Rw: 5/5/5 @ 135
P PD: 7-8 @ 140

Well, took the squat down 10 pounds, but it was still a struggle to complete sets. I'll just sit at these loads until I can do complete sets I guess, and then resume microloading. The free weight area was only about a third full, so lots of space. The young dude next to me seemed like he was half my size and doing 50% more weight. Plus, he was doing true ass-to-grass squats, a pleasure to see. Now with all the mirrors I can see my depth is powerlifting depth, which is fine and about all my knees are up for I think. The one thing I don't like is that the j-hooks are either about an inch too high or an inch too low for my squat and press. I guess I'll just have to get used to the lower setting because the higher setting is a little dangerous with the full loads. I can barely clear the rack and have to straighten out my knees to do so. They were playing country music this time, not really my cup of tea, at least the mainstream, formulaic stuff. But as an old guy I appreciate some of the 'life and times' storytelling.

Saturday, 16.02.06

---------------Week 6: Cycle I---------------
Sunday, 16.02.07
Monday, 16.02.08
Tuesday, 16.02.09

Rowing
35 mins.
Wednesday, 16.02.10
Thursday, 16.02.11

Rowing
35 mins.
Friday, 16.02.12
Rowing
30 mins. Pushed the intensity a couple of times. Have to make rowing more HIIT based I think.
Saturday, 16.02.13

---------------Week 7: Cycle I---------------
Sunday, 16.02.14
Monday, 16.02.15

PM
Rowing
45 mins. Did a few more higher intensity intervals
Tuesday, 16.02.16
Am
Bike commuting
One mile.

Lifting
SQ: 3/3/3 @ 175
Clean-Press: 3/3/3 @ 90
P Rw: 5/5/5 @ 135
BP: 3/3 @ 175
RDL: 3/3/3 @ 225
P PD: 5/5 @ 180

Noon
Bike commuting
5 miles.

Finally made my way back to the university gym. Had the free weights area to myself for the first 20 minutes or so. I just did everything light to prime things. Hopefully I'll get in a little more intensity tomorrow. The Clean-Press felt pretty good. I think if I go with the two-lift minimum idea, then doing the presses with an initial clean is a good way to go, to get a little bit of a hinge/pull movement in there too in case I don't have time for anything else. Plus I like the primal sense of just doing squats and clean-presses, even though I don't really think that's enough for general strength.

Also thinking about an AB three-lift alternation if I go for the higher frequency lifting. It would be Squat, (Clean-)Press, Row one day, and Deadlift, Bench, and Pulldown the other. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm trying not to think too much. The goal for this week and next is just to establish some kind of consistency.

Wednesday, 16.02.17

Am
Lifting
SQ: 2/2/2 @ 270
Clean-Press: 3/3/3 @ 135

Felt better than the day prior, it was wise to just prime things then. I probably could've gotten in the third rep on the squat sets, but it wouldn't have been pretty. More of a stamina issue than a strength issue I think. The presses went up pretty easy, so I think Abide is right, there is an advantage to pressing standing up. I'm not push-pressing, but it is easier to overcome inertia while standing. I'm really liking racking the press from the floor and 135 is pretty easy to clean. I think the press will always be harder than the initial clean, so it shouldn't be a big deal when the press loads begin to increase. I felt like doing more lifts, but I felt pretty hypoglycemic after the presses, so I called it a day. I've got to get back to full rations now that I'm exercising again.

So I guess the plan is just to get the squat and press sets up to five reps and then begin to microload. I could drop weight and start right away with five reps straight sets across, but I like cleaning the bar when it has two 45s on it. Having spent some time off, I'm coming back to the idea that three sets of five reps is really all you need. Doing sets of three or seven reps is probably good for you, but probably doesn't influence rate of progress that much when you're at my level.

So there you have it, thinking about an ultra simple routine again. Squats, press, 3x5, everything else is secondary. Just keep working to get the squat and press loads up and let everything else fall into place.

Thursday, 16.02.18
PM
2-3 miles riding bikes in the evening with the kids, enjoying the warmer temps.

Friday, 16.02.19

Lunch with colleagues spoiled a workout, then later in the day the moment had passed.

Saturday, 16.02.20

Was going to lift at home, but wife and kids blocked the initiative.

More and more, I'm coming to the realization that the only way this is going to happen long-term on a consistent basis is to train first thing in the morning. Our attached garage is right under the main bedroom, so that's a no-go. I would wake everyone up. So I'm going to check out a nearby Anytime Fitness in the next few days. It's actually on one of my standard bike routes, so it's conveniently located. At 4 or 5 in the morning, I would imagine I'd have a power rack all to myself, maybe even the whole place. It would be rough at first, but I think I could adapt. I know back in my running days I always enjoyed running first thing. It really sets up the day nicely, except for the drowsiness I would often experience after lunch. That's one of the advantages of late afternoon training, the post-workout drowsiness hits me around bedtime, perfect time. I think the metabolism is properly warmed up at that time too, although testosterone levels begin dropping after mid-morning I think . . .

---------------Week 8: Cycle I---------------
Sunday, 16.02.21
Two miles bike commute? I forget
Monday, 16.02.22
Tuesday, 16.02.23
Wednesday, 16.02.24
Thursday, 16.02.25

AM
Lifting
Back Squat: 3/3/3 @ 185
Clean-Press: 3/3/3 @ 95
Romanian Deadlift: 3/3/3 @ 135
Pendlay Row: 3/3/3 @ 135
Bench Press: 3/3/3 @ 135
Pronated Pulldown: 3/3/3 @ 180

Well, finally made it in to Anytime Fitness after signing up on Monday. Tuesday my stomach felt a little goofy, so that was an excuse, then Wednesday I actually felt ready, but I let myself talk myself into thinking I had too much to do. Today I finally took the plunge.

At first, doing my first squat warm-up sets, I was thinking, this feels very wrong. My body wasn't warmed up, so I rowed for five minutes. Still didn't feel right, but by the time I was about halfway through the workout, it started to feel right, and by the end, I knew it was the right way to go. I just primed everything at light weights. The main thing is not to shock my joints and hurt something. I have plenty of time to adapt.

Friday, 16.02.26
Saturday, 16.02.27

Last edited:
Cycle I
Goals:
This first cycle’s primary focus will be to lose weight and secondarily, gradually increase my aerobic capacity. Strength training will be less of a focus this cycle however I will gradually increase weights on the squat and deadlift and stagger weeks from heavy and volume, place a little more emphasis on balancing my pulls to my presses, and rehab my injured right shoulder with higher rep work for the cycle. In order:
1. Lose weight - preferably 2 lbs. per week, focus on getting into the low 190 range
2. Work back up to the 50k distance over the next 8 weeks
3. Rehab shoulder with lighter weight, higher volume upper body work
4. Focus on balance between upper presses and pulls
5. Consistent, gradual progression and "easy" work in the squats and deadlifts
6. Continue regular Yoga practice

Assessment of previous cycle: Overall the consistency was good and weights were generally increasing. I pushed a few increases a little too much and ended up stalling a bit and creating some odd pains. My shoulder injury flared back up unexpectedly. Towards the end of the cycle I came down with a bug that seemed to affect the last two weeks significantly. My running/biking mileage has tapered off quite a bit due to the holidays. Overall not a bad cycle but not a great one as well.

Plan: For the first four weeks.

capture.jpg

And then fun day Friday, which I will leave flexible but will likely consist of a loaded carry and some abdominal work.

---------------Week 1: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.01.04

Weight - 204.8 lbs.

Bench - 5 x 8/7 @ 80kgs
Pull ups - 6 x 5 @ BW
Deadlift EMOM - 13 x 2 @ 130kgs

Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

Had to lift with my youngest which made things a bit erratic. Bench press / pull up super sets were surprisingly difficult but didn't cause any shoulder irritation, DL's were relatively easy. Feeling a little better from the illness last week, nice to get the blood moving.

My weight strategy is to keep basal metabolic calories at 500 and then add any additional activity from my fitbit as my allowance for the day. After running the 1,500 + activity for a few days I have been typically under by about 1,000 calories, or right in the 2,500-3,000 range. Tracking has been making me eat less, but I have also been sick so I think my hunger has been satiated easier as well.

Tuesday, 16.01.05
Bike Commute - 35k

Wednesday, 16.01.06
Weight - 205.0
Press - 5 x 8 @ 40kgs
Swiss Rows - 5 x 8 @ 60kgs
Squats - 13 x 3 @ 80kgs

Yoga

Good workout today, the lighter higher reps seem to be helping the shoulder rehab. There is very little irritation when pressing now. Tired and unmotivated initially but it worked out in the end. 39 squats is a decent amount of volume, it was very easy though so I think I will do 2.5kg increases each week. Weight is pretty stagnant, might be a good thing.

Thursday, 16.01.07
Run Commute - 18k
Bike Commute - 17.5k

Friday, 16.01.08
Farmers Carries - 3 x 80M @ 82kgs
Ab roll outs - 3 x 10

Bike Commute - 35k

Wasn't feeling all that motivated today so stuck with the two critical items for the day.

Sunday, 16.01.10
Walk/Run - 2 hrs

Time to get some long weekend runs scheduled.

---------------Week 2: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.01.11

Weight - 203.8

Bench - 4/1 x 8/5 @ 81kgs
Pull Ups - 4 x 6 @ BW
TBDL - 13 x 3 @ 112kgs

Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

First week+ of tracking calories went pretty well. I am averaging about 3,200 calories per day. and burning around 4,000-4,500 per day. Nice to see the weight holding very steady.
Bench was tough for some reason. I think I might drop the reps to 5, 8 seems to be about 2 too many. Maybe I will switch to 6 x 5.

Tuesday, 16.01.12
Yoga

Bike commute didn't happen today.

Wednesday, 16.01.13
Run Commute - 18k
Bike Commute - 17.5k

Run went well today, next week I plan to do the walk/run pattern 1k walk to 2k run.

Thursday, 16.01.14
Press - 5 x 5 @ 50kgs
Swiss Rows - 5 x 5 @ 60kgs
Squats - 13 x 2 @ 90kgs

Video'd a coupe of squats with my new range of motion. Seems like my depth is ok, I am keeping my stance in tight which cause my knees to extend further past my toes but it seems to cause the least torque on them so I think it should be ok? 5kg jump in a couple of weeks should be fine. I think I am going to go to a 6 x 5 scheme rather than an 8. Seems like I get a better workout with a few less reps but more weight.

Friday, 16.01.15
Bike commute - 35k
Yoga

Tried working out this morning but ran out of time before I got past my warmup sets. Maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Sunday, 16.01.17
Trail run - 3 hr
Had a nice snowy cold run. Next week I'll increase the time to 4 hrs.

---------------Week 3: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.01.18

Weight - 204.0

Bench - 5 x 5 @ 90kgs
Pull Ups - 4 x 6 @ BW
DL - 13 x 2 @ 140kgs

Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

Things were feeling surprisingly strong so I auto-regulated and went for it a bit on the bench and DL. Bench felt surprisingly easy at 90kgs no shoulder issues, the deadlifts were heavy but were fast and peppy, no grinding at all. Really happy with this workout. I think only deadlifting regular and heavy every other week might be a good way to fully recover between heavy days. I have also been thinking about throwing out my third lifting day and only do workouts on Mon and Wed. Then I will have a 4 day recovery period to help setup the longer endurance runs on the weekend. I think the extra hour of sleep on Friday might be more beneficial than having a goof around day in the gym especially as my focus shifts a bit more to endurance.

Weight is still stagnant, my calories went up a bit last week around 3,500 average. I am going to try to reduce that and get in the 2,500 range for a couple of weeks and maybe load up a little before run days only. I really need to get this scale moving down.

Tuesday, 16.01.19
Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

It was cold out there this morning, and on top of that I had very little energy. I think I might start eating a PB&J in the morning to have a little more kick on the bike ride in. First day at 2,500 calories, dieting sucks.

Wednesday, 16.01.20
Press - 5 x 4/9 @ 51kgs
Inv Rows - 5 x 8 @ BW
Squats - 4 x 3 @ 80kgs

My pull down addition for the squat rack came in the mail so I was distracted and skipped out on quite a few squats while I was lifting and putting it together. Still need to tighten the bolts before I can use it. Its pretty well built and came with two handles I don't have so I think it was a pretty good deal. The plate loading is pretty convenient too.

Thursday, 16.01.21
Run commute - 18k
Bike commute - 17.5k
Yoga

Icy run in today, cold and foggy too. Made for a slow run as the path was slick the entire way. Heading to the hills this weekend for a long hilly trail run.

Friday, 16.01.22
Bike commute - 35k
Yoga

Didn't get my lifting session in, figured an extra hour of sleep was more beneficial.

Saturday, 16.01.23
Planning on running but felt pretty crappy so I skipped it. A bit frustrating still having to deal with being sick for so long.

---------------Week 4: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.01.25

Weight - 205.2

Bench - 5 x 5 @ 90kgs
Pull ups - 5 x 5 @ BW
TBDL - 10 x 3 @ 122kgs
Bike Commute - 35k
Walk

Well my head cold seems to be going away today finally. Really dissapointed about not being able to take advantage of running in the hills this weekend. Weight is still not moving, my 2,500 calorie goal was unsuccessful, I was at more like 3,800. I had a lot of late night hunger, I think I might take a second protein shake after dinner for satiation purposes. This week I will shoot for 3,000 initially and see what the results are, maybe skip alcohol every other day too.

Tuesday, 16.01.26
Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

Wednesday, 16.01.27
Press - 5 x 3 @ 60kgs
Cable Rows - 4 x 10 @ 80kgs
Squats - 13 x 2 @ 100kgs

Walk

Good workout today, I went heavier on the presses and it felt great. Also jumped 10kgs on the squat and it was still relatively easy. Weight dropped a bit today so the 3k ceiling seems to be working.

Thursday, 16.01.28
Run Commute - 18k
Bike Commute - 19k

Friday, 16.01.29
Pull Downs - 3 x 15 @ 40kgs
Ab roll outs - 3 x 10
Farmers - 1 x 80m @ 92kgs

Bike Commute - 35k

Yoga

Nice to get a short Friday session done. I'll try to get a long run in Sunday. The whole walk 1k, run 1k is working out really well for me. Surprised it took me so long to adopt something like this especially from an Ultra perspective. My plan is to utilize the walking early on to make sure I am fueling and drinking enough rather than run the first 20 miles and then slow down and start thinking about the nutrition piece. I'm signing up for a 55k in March so I have my race schedule in place. I'll post up the weekly look in a bit.

Sunday, 16.01.31
Walk - 2.5 hours

Ended up taking the littlest on a walk during his nap and ran some errands.

---------------Week 5: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.02.01

Weight - 204.0

Bench - 5 x 5 @ 90kgs
Pull ups - 5 x 5/6 @ BW
DL - 13 x 2 @ 140kgs

Bike Commute - 35k

Wow those DL's were tough today. Weight is still sitting still, even with a week of daily averages of 3,100 calories. One good note I am down a hole on my weight belt. So maybe the weight is changing from fat to muscle? I am going to stick with the 3k amount but focus a little more on getting closer to 200 grams of protein per day. Saw an article roll by about losing weight while gaining muscle at 2.4g protein per kilo of weight. I really need to get a long run in one of these days, and its likely not going to be this weekend...

Tuesday, 16.02.02
Bike commute - 17.5k

Wednesday, 16.02.03

Low Rows - 5 x 10 @ 80kgs
Press - 5 x 5(8) @ 55kgs
Squats - EMOM 10 x 3 @ 80kgs

I tried the last set press and then push press for the pluses. I did not like it and felt a tweak in my lower back from it. Ballistic lifts when tired really don't sit well with me, that was my main issue with crossfit and it still seems to be true now. I think if I wanna push the pluses I can either do the same weight or do a drop set directly after for max reps.

Thursday, 16.02.04
Run/walk commute - 18k
Bike Commute - 17.5k

Friday, 16.02.05
Pull Downs - 3 x 10 @ 60kgs
CGBP - 3 x 10 @ 60kgs
Farmers - 3 x 80m @ 82kgs
Ab rollouts - 3 x 9 @ BW

Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

Sunday, 16.02.07

Trail run - 3 hrs

---------------Week 6: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.02.08

Weight - 202.6
Bench - 5 x 8 @ 60kgs
Pull downs - 5 x 8 @ 60kgs
TBDL - 5 x 5 @ 82kgs

Short on sleep and had the little man hanging with me so I did a quick light and easy session. Changing up the schedule a little starting this week. It shouldn't affect the lifting schedule just front load the runs a little. I will see how it all meshes. Weight is down a very small amount.

Tuesday, 16.02.09
Run Commute - 18k
Yoga
Bike Commute - 17.5k

Was a little sore in the calves this morning but the running helped work it out today. Looing forward to a heavy squat day tomorrow and a resumption of the microloading.

Wednesday, 16.02.10
Press - 3 x 5 x 57.5kgs
Low Rows - 3 x 10 @ 70kgs
Squats - 13 x 2 @ 101kgs

Bike Commute - 35k

I think I am going to add some squat work in on each day for a warm-up and work up to one heavy set. They seem to have a nice effect on getting things moving along, and I also think I could use some patterning from repeating the movement more frequently. Stopping at parallel is a challenge fore me but it does seem to relieve some pressure on my knees.

Thursday, 16.02.11
Bike Commute - 35k

Friday, 16.02.12
Squats - worked up to 2 reps @ 105kgs
Bench/Pull ups supersets - EMOM 13 x 2(last three 1) @ 80kgs increasing 2.5kgs per set to 110kgs & 3 Pull ups

Bike commute - 35k

That was a fun workout nice to push the bench a little. I think I will put the bench back in on Fridays and combine with Farmers walks. Then I can keep my Mondays with CGBP and pull ups.

Saturday, 16.02.13
Sunday, 16.02.14

MTB - 18k

---------------Week 7: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.02.15

Weight - 201.2 lbs

CGBP - 5 x 5 @ 80kgs
Pull ups - 5 x 5 @ BW
DL - EMOM 13 x 2 @ 142.5kgs

Yoga

Weight down a bit more, two weeks in the right direction. DL's were tough, but went for a hard ride yesterday and my legs and back were a bit sore. My microloading plan is a little more liberal than I first thought due to the every other week increases. I think 2.5kgs every two weeks should be manageable in both the DL and Squats and then 1lb increases for the bench and press.

Tuesday, 16.02.16
Run/walk Commute - 18k
Yoga
Bike Commute - 17.5k

Wednesday, 16.02.17
Press - 4 x 5(1x3) @ 55kgs
Low rows - 5 x 8 @ 70kgs
Squats EMOM 10 x 3 @ 80kgs

Bike Commute - 35k

Trying to focus on building a good pattern in the squat. I think I have the stance down and initiating with the hips and sitting down and back seems to work pretty well. Still experimenting with depth, but the full squat depth does seem to put more pressure on the knees and back. I think once my stomach hits my quads its a good depth cue. Which is a little below parallel.

Thursday, 16.02.18
Bike Commute - 35k
Yoga

Friday, 16.02.19
Came down with the flu on the trip home yesterday and didn't make it past the warmup. Illnesses are awful this year so far.

Saturday, 16.02.20
Farmers - 3 x 80m @ 92kgs
Ab roll outs - 3 x 10 @ BW
Bench - EMOM 12 x 2 (last two sets 1) @ 80kgs - 110kgs increasing 2.5kgs per set
Pull ups supersetted with bench - EMOM 10 X 3

Felt much better a day later so I decided to get my workout in.

---------------Week 8: Cycle I---------------
Monday, 16.02.22

CGBP - 5 x 5 @ 80kgs
Pull ups - 6 x 5 @ BW

Ran out of time for DL's. I will add them in tomorrow since I am not riding/running this week.

Tuesday, 16.02.23
Weight - 203.6 lbs.
TBDL - EMOM 10 x 2 @ 132kgs

Wednesday, 16.02.24
Press - 5/5/4/3/2 @ 60kgs
Low Rows - 5 x 10 @ 70kgs
Squats - EMOM 13 x 2 @ 102.5kgs

Easy day for the low rows and squats, time to increase loads in the rows to 80kgs and I am going to make 2.5kg jumps every other week on the squats. The press was quite difficult as expected and I had issue with stabilization in my lower back after the 3rd set and 3rd rep? Maybe I should consider wearing the belt for presses to counter the instability. It's funny how fast the drop off in press ability happens after the 2nd - 3rd set. The first to sets of 5 were relatively easy but after the 3rd rep in the 3rd set my shoulders were almost at failure. Same for the following two sets. I think the 60kg start point is good to get things inline with the bench. The requisite strength is there just the stamina is lacking. right now the press is 60% of my bench, It think that is a pretty good ratio. My squat is around 72% of my DL. Overall this is probably the highest level of strength I have had across the main lifts so I think this routine is working pretty well. Although the weight gain is still pretty stagnant or slightly increasing.

Thursday, 16.02.25
Bike Commute - 17.5k

Friday, 16.02.26
Farmers - 3 x 80m @ 72kgs
Ab roll outs - 3 x 10
Bench & Pull up SS - E75s 13 x 2(last set 1) @ 80kgs - 112.5kgs increasing 2.5kgs per set
- Pull ups - 13 x 3 @ BW

Yoga
Bike commute 35k

Good last workout for the week. Going to shoot for a 5 hour run Sunday.

Sunday, 16.02.28
Trail Run - 4hrs - 27k +/-1,600

Wow that was rather tough... I am in trouble in a couple weeks for my 55k with +/- 6,000ft...

Last edited:
-- assessment of last cycle --
i liked the emphasis on squats. i think it is actually working as well, despite missing a couple workouts here and there. both the squats and presses are feeling a little stronger.

-- assessment of last year --
well, i didn't really get hurt last year, so that goal was reached.

none of the audacious lifting goals happened. #1, this is because i'm not a sufficient physical genius. #2 is because we moved between houses and then i shifted my time budget toward running through the late summer and early fall. i think my maximum squat is probably up by 5 or 10 pounds above my previous peak, but that is a very recent bump. the press might be up by 5 pounds, but that was delayed by a switch to a closer grip approach rather than my previously (differently) messy form. i've decided for the moment that i think bench presses are lame (they certainly can't walk) and that my deadlift was so vastly overpowered compared to my other lifts, that i am ignoring it while trying to bring the others up. so pretty much complete failure for all the usual reasons of "never really bothered to even try".

doing pullups was fun until we move between houses. except that they seemed to improve too quickly or something. i mean, once i got up to doing 70+ per day and/or with a backpack with 20lbs in it, it wasn't quite as exciting. especially since the other lifts seemed to stagnate. i guess the lesson is that my particular body may respond well to high frequency. and, similar to (and even more so than) deadlifts, the pullup strength seems to far ahead of and more easily developed than the other lifts, that i will concentrate on the weak ones.

the 50-mile race was a fun attempt but failed due to weak soles and cold temperatures. i'm basically turning it into a fall tradition. i still dream of trying a 100-mile, but haven't quite worked out the whole aversion to zillions of laps around small courses (much more common than out-and-backs or point-to-points) or the lack of sleep thing.

since everyone is talking weight management, mine has been stubbornly static. i kept an eagle eye on it during my heavy running period when it dropped 5-8 pounds below my previous typical level despite cranking up the calories to like 5000+/day. after the race, my mileage dropped significantly and my quirky eating evened out a little (but still pretty short on simple sugars and still non-militant-quasi-vegan) and i at or just a hair under my old standby weight. maybe the squats will do something. i have noticed a small change in my very upper legs, so maybe more will show up eventually.

-- goals for new year --
maybe i should be a little more modest with the lifting goals this time. how about:

* press: 1RM somewhere around 120lbs; 3RM somewhere around 105lbs
* squat: 2RM around 175lbs; 4RM around 160lbs

that still wouldn't really be balanced. anyways, we'll see what happens.

for running, try the 50-mile again. maybe even finish. wear a coat. try to sweat at least a little bit. as for the training part, lots and lots of chip-n-seal (which should be easier when it is warmer).

-- goals for this cycle --
keep chipping away at the squats. i seem to be settling into this new plan nicely, so i'll keep it going for a while.

for running, swallow my speed pride and keep hitting the chip-n-seal even though it slows my overall average paces down by like a minute or something. try to stay barefoot as long as possible through the winter. looking at my log from last year, i only wore moccasins for 45 miles, so i guess it's not as hard as it sounds.

-- week 1: january 3-9 --
sunday: running: 8.3mi at 8:36 (1.9mi chip-n-seal)
monday: running: 5.6mi at 8:02 (2.4mi chip-nseal)
(46 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85lbs
1x4 at 115lbs
6x4 at 135lbs
6x10 at 90lbs
calf raises: 30/30/30/30

tuesday: 6.3mi at 8:19 (1.9mi chip-n-seal)
wednesday: 9.3mi at 7:37
thursday: running: 8.2mi at 8:34
(34 minutes)
squats: ?x7 at 65/75/85/95lbs
rows: ?x6 at 75/80/85lbs
press:
2x6 at68/73lbs
2x3 at 78/83lbs
calf raises: 30/30/30/30

friday: 7.7mi at 8:25 (1.9mi chip-n-seal)

total for week: 45.7mi (8.1mi chip-n-seal)

-- week 2: january 10-16 --
sunday: running: 1.1mi at 7:39 (9.5F, around the block 3 times, just because. actually, the ground was warm because the temperature dropped like a rock from the previous extended warm weather; getting back inside, the race was on to take off all the clothes before they got soaked)
(52 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85lbs
1x4 at 115lbs
6x4 at 135lbs
6x10 at 90lbs
calf raises: 5x40

monday: running: 7.6mi at 8:33 (1.9mi chip-n-seal)
(37 minutes)
rows: ?x6 at 80/80/85lbs
press:
2x6 at 68/73lbs
2x3 at 78/83lbs
calf raises: 5x40

tuesday: (50 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85lbs
1x4 at 115lbs
6x4 at 135lbs
6x10 at 90lbs
calf raises: 50/50/50/50/52 (can't count)

wednesday: running: 7.6mi at 8:29 (1.9mi chip-n-seal; i love 20mph headwinds. they keep your feet so toasty...)

thursday: running: 8.8mi at 8:43 (3.1mi chip-n-seal; still 20mph headwinds, but much warmer today)

friday: running: 6.9mi at 8:50

(43 minutes)
squats: ?x7 at 65/75/85/97lbs
rows: ?x6 at 80/85/85lbs
press:
2x6 at 68/73lbs
2x3 at 78/83lbs
calf raises: 6x50

total for week: 32.1mi (6.9mi chip-n-seal)

-- week 3: january 17-23 --
sunday: running: 4.1mi at 8:36 (moccasins! 7F, 15mph wind, and a coating of snow drove me to even wear socks.)

(63 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85lbs
1x4 at 115lbs
6x4 at 140lbs
6x10 at 95lbs
calf raises: 8x50

monday: volleyball

tuesday:
morning workout: (29 minutes; test squat strength)
squats
?x6 at 65/85lbs
?x4 at 115/125/135lbs
?x2 at 145/150/155/160lbs
single at 165lbs (yipee! new high; actually 4 new highs since i think my old max was 145lbs)

calf raises: 2x50

evening workout: (24 minutes)
squats: ?x5 at 65/75/85/95
rows: ?x6 at 85/85/90lbs
press: ?x6 at 70/70/75lbs (bailed early because my stomach muscles felt tight and i want to avoid the unpleasantry that happened once after i tested my press ability)

calf raises: 4x50

wednesday: running: 4.3mi at 8:08 (moccasins and thin socks)
(41 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85/115lbs
6x4 at 140lbs
6x10 at 95lbs
calf raises: 2x50

thursday: (37 minutes)
rows: ?x6 at 85/90/90lbs
press:
2x6 at 70/75lbs
2x3 at 80lbs
85lbs for 2/2/1
calf raises: through day = 100; then 4x50

total for week: 8.4mi (0mi chip-n-seal) [excuse = cold, snow; try to do extra weightlifting as poor substitute]

-- week 4: january 24-30 --
monday: running: 1.fat 6:50 (duty travel to warmer climes)
tuesday: running: 6.8mi at 7:46

-- week 5: january 31-february 6 --
monday: 3.3mi at 7:31
tuesday: 4.2mi at 8:30
(16 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85/115lbs
2x4 at 125lbs
calf raises: 40/40

trying to ease back into things after a week off for duty travel.

wednesday: 5.2mi at 8:29 (1.9mi chip-n-seal)

thursday:
3.2mi at 8:27
2.7mi 7:46

(39 minutes)
press:
2x6 at 65/70lbs
2x3 at 75/85lbs
calf raises: 6x50

friday: 6.0mi at 8:00

-- week 6: february 7-13 --
monday: 4.0mi at 8:00

tuesday: (20 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85/115lbs
6x4 at 130lbs

wednesday: (47 minutes)
squats: ?x7 at 65/75/85/95
press:
2x6 at 70/75lbs
4x3 at 80lbs
?x2 at 85/90/90lbs
1 at 95lbs
(100lbs went absolutely nowhere)

well, hey, i guess the outer limits haven't contracted despite erratic exercise.

thursday: 5.8mi at 7:55
(51 minutes)
squats:
?x6 at 65/75/85/115lbs
tried to lift off the safeties starting at the bottom. once at 135lbs, but decided not to bother.
5x4 at 135lbs (stopped because of strange feeling in the outside of bottom left leg)
calf raises: 50/50/60/60/60/55/55/50/50 (total = 490)

friday: 2.3mi (7:58) and 2.3mi (8:05) in socks. cold and wet.

-- week 7: february 14-20 --
tuesday: 4.0mi at 7:58

-- week 8: february 21-27 --
thursday: 3.2mi at 7:37
friday: 3.9mi at 7:27

[easy search code: asdf]

Last edited:
I like the look of your 2/3/5/7, oh and nice job on your squats the other day, you are really breaking into new boundaries, that 3 plate squat is right around the corner.

Yeah I can go old school with the bike intervals, I just cheat a bit with fartleks, and having a babysitter helps keep me honest. Although I think I already push pretty hard on the bike so I am not sure how much more I can do even on an interval basis. And I have enough electronics already so I probably don't need another. My wife got a garmin handheld for xmas that I can use for a touring trip if I want so I will probably skip on a computer for now.

They do have speed limits on the trails there? that's too bad, they should probably build a nice foot trail on each side instead. I guess you will have to graduate to the roads eventually. Oh by the way I bought one of these for the bike http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hotshot-2-Watt-Rechargeable-Taillight/dp/B005DVA57Y I have been very happy with it. I notice cars give me much more room now than with my other cheapy rear light. The battery last forever too. So the combination of this headlamp http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Eyes-1...468_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SXMD8YB4QE0MJYEYWJ0 and that rear lamb I feel much more comfortable on the road.
Yah, we'll see how it goes. I'm aiming for a slightly looser structure this cycle. Having the percentages written out on my workout sheet for four of the rep-counts will help me make adjustments mid-workout if I so choose. Although I have to say, pyramiding down the 2/3/5/7-rep squat sets last Friday felt pretty good, so I may end up following the protocol fairly strictly. I like how the second rep of the double feels almost like a single but is somewhat safer and less taxing mentally. Then by the time I got to the seven-rep sets the bar felt light and I was totally committed to squeezing out that sixth and seventh rep. Could've easily gotten in a few more but I wanted to make sure I had enough gas left for the rest of the workout. Still, I have my doubts that I'll be able to do this three times a week. I may return to making Wednesday a higher rep/variation/ROM day if three heavy days starts to feel like too much. I'm just feeling a push for strength gains these days, just like I did when I went 3x5 for a whole cycle, so I thought I'd try this and see if I can keep up.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it's pretty satisfying to be feeling some progress after last year's multiple set-backs. Learning more about percentage-based training and microloading has really helped me adopt a gradual approach, and just trust the process. I think Wendler's four principles of 1) starting light, 2) progressing slowly, 3) basing training on the big barbell lifts, and 4) setting PRs, really helped me commit to that mindset. I don't follow his 5/3/1 program, but I think those four principles are really good guides, and can be applied to many programming permutations. Incidentally T-Nation had an article on percentage-based training today (https://www.t-nation.com/training/pros-and-cons-of-percentage-training), but it was mostly about testing one's 1RM to derive the other percentages. I feel like one should really first establish one's 5RM over multiple sets, and base the other percentages on that. This way may underestimate one's true 1RM, but it's very sustainable and makes testing one's single entirely optional.

Luckily, with my shorty bar at 35lbs, a three-plate squat of 305 lbs is probably doable right now. Just not sure when I'll try it, but I think I'll know when the time is right. This cycle I'd really like to re-establish the Deadlift too. I still haven't really tested it to see if my projected 1RM, which is around my old PR now, is accurate or not. A little more work on doubles and triples should help clear that up.

Yah, the electronics can help keep you honest, and I would probably tend to quit earlier without them, but then again, using one's own feeling for when it's time to reduce speed might help prevent overdoing it. When you program the gadgets, you have to make sure your formulas really reflect your fitness level and ability to recover. And in the end, it just doesn't matter. If you work out consistently, then gains up through the intermediate level, whether in lifting or aerobic fitness, are pretty much guaranteed, no matter what the protocol or program, right? As long as you're hitting the basics. Just a question of efficiency and motivation I think. Some programs may be more effective theoretically, but if they aren't motivating, then they have little practical value. So yeah, get the gadgets if they help with motivation or programming, but their usefulness for performance is probably overrated. It's like the MAF; some people thrive with it, for others, it sucks all the fun out of running, no matter what the status of its scientific claims may be.

Just thinking out loud here. Don't mean to be preaching. I think for touring though, you'll definitely want to keep track of mileage, and it's fun to check the gradient if you have an altimeter.

The 10mph speed limit isn't too serious, because I try to hit the bike paths when not too many people are on it, and I'm not usually going that much over it anyway. In any case, I don't mind slowing down when I pass clueless pedestrians walking two to four people abreast, or just stopping in the middle for a chat. On the Minneapolis side of the route I usual bike, there's divided paths for bikes and pedestrians, so that makes it a lot easier.

I think the Cyglolite brand is the one I got too. I got a headlight/taillight combo. I was also impressed by the battery life and in general I'm trying to get all the gadgets USB-rechargeable these days.

Good luck on the aggressive weight loss program!

I like your four-week approach. It's an interesting concept. That does seem to be one major concern: how to program Squats and Deadlifts together. I think I will do my best to maintain the 2/3/5/7 for the Squats and then just see how I'm doing in any given workout when I approach the Deadlifts. Might end up doing heavy doubles, or three sets of RDLs at the Squat's seven-rep load. If the energy is good, I will try the 2/3/5/7 protocol as well, but I don't anticipate being able to do that every workout. I think I still cling to the idea that if I'm making steady progress on the Squat, the Deadlift will pretty much be there, and this has seemingly been born out in practice, as I was able to recover my DL a few weeks ago without really even trying. I think the same probably applies to the presses, that is, if the OHP is going up, the BP is probably about where it should be too. So I could end up making mid-workout adjustments to the Bench Press as well, like just doing 3x5 if I'm pressed for time or feeling tired.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it's pretty satisfying to be feeling some progress after last year's multiple set-backs. Learning more about percentage-based training and microloading has really helped me adopt a gradual approach, and just trust the process. I think Wendler's four principles of 1) starting light, 2) progressing slowly, 3) basing training on the big barbell lifts, and 4) setting PRs, really helped me commit to that mindset. I don't follow his 5/3/1 program, but I think those four principles are really good guides, and can be applied to many programming permutations. Incidentally T-Nation had an article on percentage-based training today (https://www.t-nation.com/training/pros-and-cons-of-percentage-training), but it was mostly about testing one's 1RM to derive the other percentages. I feel like one should really first establish one's 5RM over multiple sets, and base the other percentages on that. This way may underestimate one's true 1RM, but it's very sustainable and makes testing one's single entirely optional.

Yeah his advice is surprisingly solid, I could add some of Dan John's tips, like the 5 movement patterns, regular yoga practice (groundwork) and that would be my basic lifting opus.

Just thinking out loud here. Don't mean to be preaching. I think for touring though, you'll definitely want to keep track of mileage, and it's fun to check the gradient if you have an altimeter .

Oh yeah definitely she has one of those fancy geo caching handhelds not a watch, this one actually http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Oregon-Handheld-Digital-Topographic/dp/B00AXUXRSE it should give me plenty of that information, plus directions. Too bad maps are so expensive for these over here.

I like your four-week approach. It's an interesting concept. That does seem to be one major concern: how to program Squats and Deadlifts together. I think I will do my best to maintain the 2/3/5/7 for the Squats and then just see how I'm doing in any given workout when I approach the Deadlifts. Might end up doing heavy doubles, or three sets of RDLs at the Squat's seven-rep load. If the energy is good, I will try the 2/3/5/7 protocol as well, but I don't anticipate being able to do that every workout. I think I still cling to the idea that if I'm making steady progress on the Squat, the Deadlift will pretty much be there, and this has seemingly been born out in practice, as I was able to recover my DL a few weeks ago without really even trying. I think the same probably applies to the presses, that is, if the OHP is going up, the BP is probably about where it should be too. So I could end up making mid-workout adjustments to the Bench Press as well, like just doing 3x5 if I'm pressed for time or feeling tired.

Yeah my main hesitation for not doing your 2357 idea is the warmup requirement in the morning. I would probably have to do something like a 7532 before I could start the 2357 and by then I would be out of time. But yeah for deadlifts I tend to prefer the lower rep ranges, 2-3, so I understand your hesitation. I think the alternating days might work OK for me now, especially since I am not focusing too much on strength gains this cycle. And who knows maybe spending a lot more time in the 70-80% range will pay dividends?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the pull down unit. Pull ups are still getting easier but I am thinking the horizontal row might be a better horizontal pull than bent rows for me. Or at least the pressure on my back can be minimized a bit before the DL and squats that come after.

Yeah his advice is surprisingly solid, I could add some of Dan John's tips, like the 5 movement patterns, regular yoga practice (groundwork) and that would be my basic lifting opus.

I think I would also add in Poliquin's structural balance idea, which I've interpreted via my Iron Ratio. Seems like a good idea to always prioritize one's weakest lifts. Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the concept of groundwork. I really like that. It encompasses so many things that all add up to greater mobility. With the kids around, I'm especially aware of how my body is tightening up with age. Gotta fight that.

Oh yeah definitely she has one of those fancy geo caching handhelds not a watch, this one actually http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Oregon-Handheld-Digital-Topographic/dp/B00AXUXRSE it should give me plenty of that information, plus directions. Too bad maps are so expensive for these over here.

Wow, I didn't know those existed. Real cool.

Yeah my main hesitation for not doing your 2357 idea is the warmup requirement in the morning. I would probably have to do something like a 7532 before I could start the 2357 and by then I would be out of time. But yeah for deadlifts I tend to prefer the lower rep ranges, 2-3, so I understand your hesitation. I think the alternating days might work OK for me now, especially since I am not focusing too much on strength gains this cycle. And who knows maybe spending a lot more time in the 70-80% range will pay dividends?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the pull down unit. Pull ups are still getting easier but I am thinking the horizontal row might be a better horizontal pull than bent rows for me. Or at least the pressure on my back can be minimized a bit before the DL and squats that come after.

Yeah, I'm getting back to the dilemma of time constraints if I try to do everything 2/3/5/7 so I think that's why I'll keep everything optional, especially the Deadlifts and Bench Press. In one of my cycles last year, I was doing four sets of Squats and Overhead Press, but only two sets of Deadlifts and Bench Press, along with three sets of Rows and Pulldowns, and that seemed like a good balance. It gets back to the idea that the Squat and Press are respective drivers of lower and upper body progress, and upper body pulls are more assistance. I'm still not convinced of the second point, but in my experience the first point, about drivers, seems to have been born out. The other option is some kind of split if doing everything is heavy, or adopt your approach of keeping the lower body stuff heavy and the upper body stuff higher volume, but right now, I got the feeling to do the Presses heavy if my shoulders can take it.

It was also while doing a 1/1/3/3/3/5/5 protocol, I think, that I first strained my knee and hamstring while deadlifting in the fall of 2014. So definitely wary of doing 2/3/5/7 Deadlift sets too much, although I think I'm better protected against Deadlift mishaps now with my greater Squat strength.

Yah, I do miss the cable rows from time to time. It's much easier to brace oneself that way. I could easily re-rig my set-up for that. Not sure having the cable more vertical on my back post as really reduced friction much anyway.

Anyway, I'm hoping the 2/3/5/7 protocol will strike a nice balance between structure and adjustability or auto-regulation, while simultaneously giving me the opportunity to go as heavy as possible when I'm up for it. I'm just really feeling the urge to move some heavy loads and get a good pump at the same time these days, and the higher-rep sets are much more tolerable when there's only one of them per lift.

It's sort of the silver lining to not being able to run much anymore--I'm free to push the weights, because cycling or rowing will probably never give me that desire to set goals to obsess about.

Yeah, I'm getting back to the dilemma of time constraints if I try to do everything 2/3/5/7 so I think that's why I'll keep everything optional, especially the Deadlifts and Bench Press. In one of my cycles last year, I was doing four sets of Squats and Overhead Press, but only two sets of Deadlifts and Bench Press, along with three sets of Rows and Pulldowns, and that seemed like a good balance. It gets back to the idea that the Squat and Press are respective drivers of lower and upper body progress, and upper body pulls are more assistance. I'm still not convinced of the second point, but in my experience the first point, about drivers, seems to have been born out. The other option is some kind of split if doing everything is heavy, or adopt your approach of keeping the lower body stuff heavy and the upper body stuff higher volume, but right now, I got the feeling to do the Presses heavy if my shoulders can take it.

It was also while doing a 1/1/3/3/3/5/5 protocol, I think, that I first strained my knee and hamstring while deadlifting in the fall of 2014. So definitely wary of doing 2/3/5/7 Deadlift sets too much, although I think I'm better protected against Deadlift mishaps now with my greater Squat strength.

Yah, I do miss the cable rows from time to time. It's much easier to brace oneself that way. I could easily re-rig my set-up for that. Not sure having the cable more vertical on my back post as really reduced friction much anyway.

Anyway, I'm hoping the 2/3/5/7 protocol will strike a nice balance between structure and adjustability or auto-regulation, while simultaneously giving me the opportunity to go as heavy as possible when I'm up for it. I'm just really feeling the urge to move some heavy loads and get a good pump at the same time these days, and the higher-rep sets are much more tolerable when there's only one of them per lift.

It's sort of the silver lining to not being able to run much anymore--I'm free to push the weights, because cycling or rowing will probably never give me that desire to set goals to obsess about.

That is actually a good point and I think one of the fallacies of the easy strength concept and maybe something I need to work in somehow. Basically to take advantage of those periods where you could potentially have big jumps like you with the presses. I think if I am able to drop weight I might have one with pull ups. Yeah the only reason I am taking it easy is from my injury. There is a general sense of instability in my shoulder so I figure it needs a little more time to heal before I keep pushing high loads on it.

That is actually a good point and I think one of the fallacies of the easy strength concept and maybe something I need to work in somehow. Basically to take advantage of those periods where you could potentially have big jumps like you with the presses.
You already have it to a good degree in your "plus reps" protocol, which is something I've incorporated into the 2/3/5/7 protocol too by tacking it onto the last set: 2/3/5/7+. Also seems like you vary the number of double sets you do sometimes. Anyway, yeah, I think it's important to have some flexibility built in, but in a logical, coherent fashion. Last year most of my protocols were fairly fixed, which was probably valuable for the purposes of rehab, to curb my enthusiasm, but I think this year I can do a little more unstructured stuff like I was doing sometimes in 2014. I've gotten pretty good at backing off at the first sign of trouble. A pampered niggle rarely lasts more than one or two workouts, but an aggravated niggle can set you back weeks or months.
I think if I am able to drop weight I might have one with pull ups.
Don't forget any fat you lose above your knees will probably be transferable to your Squat load too!
Yeah the only reason I am taking it easy is from my injury. There is a general sense of instability in my shoulder so I figure it needs a little more time to heal before I keep pushing high loads on it.
Yah, good to take the long view on the shoulder issue. You've helped me with that too.

One other thing about that percentage-based training article. I think when one bases one's percentages on one's 5RM over multiple sets, then one is sort of automatically adopting Wendler's maxim to always train at 90%. I don't know if doing 5RM for 3-4 sets means that one is training at exactly 90% of one's one-set, or true, 5RM, but it's definitely less than 100% and safer I think.

Sunday, 16.01.10
AM
Bike Commuting
One mile. -7F/-33F WC. Ended up not going on my bike ride yesterday, so have to do it today, when it's even colder. Thinking about riding a route that takes me past the Vikings' temporary stadium while their playoff game is going one, to check out the atmosphere. Supposed to be one of the coldest playoff games ever.

What a tough way to lose that one! Sucks

What's it like riding in that kind of cold? I'm still in shorts over here, it hasn't gotten much below 40 all winter.

What a tough way to lose that one! Sucks

What's it like riding in that kind of cold? I'm still in shorts over here, it hasn't gotten much below 40 all winter.
Yah, but it was a good game, and there's lots of hope for the future of the team, now that good owners, GM, coach, and probably the QB are in place. I rode past the game around the time of the fourth quarter or late third, and saw four fans walking away, so I suspected a blowout. I was pleased later while watching on Tivo that it was a close game and the Vikes basically dominated the Hawks' offense for three quarters. An improvement to the O-line and a few other tweaks in the off-season and we should be able to contend even better next year. American football is the only sport I watch and the Vikes are the only team I follow. What I really like is the way NFL playoffs coincide with the month one is least likely to want to be outside. January has to be the worst month over all, so it's nice the footballs gods are gracious enough to provide this tender mercy.

I've got a decent cold-weather set-up now, so no exposed skin while riding. I got ski googles even. The only place that gets a little cold is the butt area, but a USB hand-warmer was delivered yesterday, and I'm going to figure out a way to use that, or just put on more layers. The part I like most about really cold weather is the way everything sounds louder in the cold, tightly packed air molecules. It's like someone turned up the ambient volume knob.

I'd take your weather any day though. 40s sounds great. I'm still wimping out sometimes. It's just a lot of rigamarole to put on all the gear, but rowing is so boring, it's worth it just to get outside and see some landscapes.

Really looking forward to lifting later.

Yah, but it was a good game, and there's lots of hope for the future of the team, now that good owners, GM, coach, and probably the QB are in place. I rode past the game around the time of the fourth quarter or late third, and saw four fans walking away, so I suspected a blowout. I was pleased later while watching on Tivo that it was a close game and the Vikes basically dominated the Hawks' offense for three quarters. An improvement to the O-line and a few other tweaks in the off-season and we should be able to contend even better next year. American football is the only sport I watch and the Vikes are the only team I follow. What I really like is the way NFL playoffs coincide with the month one is least likely to want to be outside. January has to be the worst month over all, so it's nice the footballs gods are gracious enough to provide this tender mercy.

I've got a decent cold-weather set-up now, so no exposed skin while riding. I got ski googles even. The only place that gets a little cold is the butt area, but a USB hand-warmer was delivered yesterday, and I'm going to figure out a way to use that, or just put on more layers. The part I like most about really cold weather is the way everything sounds louder in the cold, tightly packed air molecules. It's like someone turned up the ambient volume knob.

I'd take your weather any day though. 40s sounds great. I'm still wimping out sometimes. It's just a lot of rigamarole to put on all the gear, but rowing is so boring, it's worth it just to get outside and see some landscapes.

Really looking forward to lifting later.

Yep the future is bright with them, hopefully an Oline will help stabilize the QBs play a little bit. But same here with sports, unfortunately being over here makes it really difficult to watch games and I don't really want to support the NFL ridiculously expensive online packages, so I end up just watching highlight mostly. I am almost hoping the Broncos don't get in so I don't have to stay up so late to watch the superbowl.

Never thought about football in that way but really smart especially with all the holidays and general laziness throughout the nation that time of the year.

Yeah I hate getting dressed twice a day in biking clothes, such a time waster. When I get the whole winter thing going, then its pants shoe covers and the everything else. Probably takes me an extra 15 minutes a day. These days that's what my running is like too. I miss the shorts and t shirt runs like back in the day.

Yep the future is bright with them, hopefully an Oline will help stabilize the QBs play a little bit. But same here with sports, unfortunately being over here makes it really difficult to watch games and I don't really want to support the NFL ridiculously expensive online packages, so I end up just watching highlight mostly. I am almost hoping the Broncos don't get in so I don't have to stay up so late to watch the superbowl.

Never thought about football in that way but really smart especially with all the holidays and general laziness throughout the nation that time of the year.

Yeah I hate getting dressed twice a day in biking clothes, such a time waster. When I get the whole winter thing going, then its pants shoe covers and the everything else. Probably takes me an extra 15 minutes a day. These days that's what my running is like too. I miss the shorts and t shirt runs like back in the day.
Yah, I remember watching the Superbowl in Mozambique at two in the morning, fighting sleep in the fourth quarter around 5am, and there were several terrific Superbowl fourth quarters while I was there. There's just something wrong about waking up after a few hours' sleep and drinking beer.

Now I have to divert my fandom to another team. Broncos would be a good one, with sentimentality for Manning to get one more ring before he retires or starts losing body parts. But I'll probably go with divisional loyalty and root for the Cheesheads. Most of the teams left are pretty likable though, except the Patriots.

Yah, nothing like living barefoot in shorts. I miss the tropics, but not the malaria, especially with kids.

Crap, 250 lbs this morning. OK, gotta get serious now.

i thought i would be clever and try to count calories again today. the only problem is that i don't have a safe way of torching the food or whatever they do to figure out the energy content. so, my known values only come from breakfast (half eaten at the proper time and half in the afternoon) which worked out to 1100 calories plus whatever the beaten up flax seeds were worth (another couple hundred?) and then the 3lb jar of applesauce for a second 1100. so that starts me out with what, about 2500? then the lunch (?>500) and supper (?>500) (rice/beans/leaves/salsa in various combinations) my wife fed me, cleaning up the lunch leftovers mid-afternoon (?300), the couple of pancakes from the fridge (?200), the two cups of peas (?250), and now, whatever more i eat of the supper food because i'm still hungry... so i'm looking at about 4000 before what i am chewing on presently. so maybe 4500-5000 for the day. and with all the oats, beans, peas, and peanut butter, i should be getting something more than 110g of protein. yikes. if only some of that would turn into muscle....

sorry to vent, i just can't seem to move the needle. maybe i have some sort of digestive malfunction or parasite or something. the problem is that i feel good and don't want to screw that up by interacting with the healthcare system. :)

in other news, the weird zombie zone on my feet keeps threatening to cause problems, but i keep hitting it with chip-n-seal and it hasn't worn through or broken yet. i can't make up my mind as to whether it is some sort of mechanical thing, a fungal thing, both, or neither. sometimes it seems to poof out a little, sometimes it seems to collapse in and you can feel this weird canyon like low area in the midst of the thicker/tougher skin. the area covered seems to wax and wane. it is indeed very strange. anyways, i know i'm white, i just think that the word is supposed to be more metaphorical than literally describing a color like "the snows of winter". of course, i do know some people who really are the color of the snows of winter (cough, minnesotans, cough)....

zombie_combo_13jan16.png

sorry to vent, i just can't seem to move the needle. maybe i have some sort of digestive malfunction or parasite or something. the problem is that i feel good and don't want to screw that up by interacting with the healthcare system. :)

I'm not a doctor or even remotely knowledgeable about nutrition so this should be setting off your bullshit detector, but I've always wondered about hard gainers like you. Do you have more of a predisposition to burn hotter and more calories than say someone like me? Or could it be possibly be related to lack of absorption of calories and nutrients? I tend to think it might be the latter, well If you believe the whole conservation of energy model.

Anyway looking at what you are eating I am pretty sure your fiber intake is exceptionally high which probably provides a little support for my theory. Why don't you think about eating a couple of pizzas or some nachos for one meal a day, or more even concentrations of fat/protein/carbs with less fiber? Or at the very least maybe start putting down 3 protein shakes a day? You can buy the burlap sack version Sid posted a while back and have enough for three months? But if you are a vegan maybe some soy protein shakes? It just seems like 115 grams of protein from 5000 calories really isn't that much, 460 calories or 10% from protein? I'd probably shoot for more, at least 20%-30% especially when you are trying to gain weight.

I had (back in the day when I actually ran barefoot) that dead spot too, I think that's the portion that doesn't wear at the same rate as around it so you get more foot pad buildup and less concrete provided pedicure services. Take a file to it if it really bothers you? Or wear copper socks for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.

We homo sapiens are omnivores. I think we're supposed to eat animal protein. I'm pretty sure if you ate a pound of ribeye with red wine, sweet potato and salad right after working out you'd gain more mass. I think red meat also boosts testosterone levels. Supposedly, legumes are estrogenic, like beer.

Also, with your emphasis on getting through a workout quickly, I wonder if you're doing appropriate intensities. If you're in the 80-90% of 1RM range, you should require 2-5 minutes of rest after a set in order to recover enough for the next set, depending on how big the lift is (i.e., how much muscle mass was recruited, so most rest for deadlifts, least rest for rows, for me anyway). I wonder if you should do more deadlifting, even though it's a lot stronger than your other lifts. According to some, deadlifts are the best mass builders around. Others say the squat, but since your squat is weak, it may take some time before you're good enough to handle the kind of loads that will build mass. I remember it took me a while before my technique came together and all of a sudden I was able to begin increasing loads more rapidly.

In the meantime, count your blessings. It will probably become easier to gain fat in a few more years. Good for gaining muscle mass, but unsightly in our culture.

I think one of the reasons I've been able to make easy gains these days, whenever I train consistently, is that I'm overweight. I think what they (Rip and others) say is true, that the best way to gain mass and strength is with a caloric surplus and body fat at least 15-20% (http://startingstrength.com/site/article/recovery_and_growth). Of course, not everyone wants to carry around that much fat, but that stuff is primed and ready to be converted into protein if need be, plus I think having extra fat allows the body to relax and not be too stingy with caloric distribution.

Your bullshit detector has probably gone off again, but my experience jibes with this. Of course, I would rather be a hard-gainer with a slender figure. It's fun being stronger, but I think I prefer agile and elegant. Hopefully this year I learn how to combine both. My strategy is simply to add intensity to my workouts, and keep eating like a relatively healthy omnivore, try to get a little of everything.

I think your zombie zone is different from mine, but right smack in the middle of the metatarsal area of my sole, I would get a really hard patch of callus. It eventually went away though, and it only hurt a little if at all for a short time. I can't really remember . . . I wonder if I auto-corrected whatever was causing it through repetitive subconscious proprioception? It took a year or two for it to disappear completely.

i wonder about that nutrient absorption thing, too. it seems more difficult to store away even fat when you're on a "healthy food from 1880s health reform movement" kind of plan. it can be done, of course, just it is more challenging. my previous attempts to maximize protein intake didn't seem to do much except change the output of the kidneys. i've tried bumping up the fat once or twice, but i thought it messed with my breathing (weird...). maybe i need a different fat. :) as always, i didn't stick with anything long enough to get a meaningful assessment.

but, a significant piece of this puzzle is my delicate approach to the lifting. i guess i am paranoid about getting hurt, so i always take it slow. for example, when i first started doing squats, there were a bunch of connective tissues at the top of my pelvis where it meets the spine down to the tailbone that made their existence known. so, i kept the loads pretty low to try to build those up without tearing anything. nowadays, they are fine and i think the muscle is beginning to pile up at that very bottom of my back area. i feel like i'm close to having the foundational parts laid so i can actually make some measurable progress. and stay at the higher intensity levels. for example, the last time i tried to test my squatting ability, i topped out at about 145 for a single or double. i'm now doing 6x4 at 135 as working sets the last three workouts. the first time felt a little shaky, but it happened. the third time it was pretty solid (and so, i will probably bump it up to 138 or 140 the next time). so, i think i may be entering the zone of actual improvements. anyways, we'll see what happens with respect to rest and intensity. i want to keep this up for a while and then maybe revise for next cycle based on what i deceive myself from this one.

i don't actually care too much about gaining weight since my body image is probably completely tied up in being a beanpole. but, i would like to have a little functional storage for when i need it (like illness or very long races or whatever doomsday scenario comes to mind).

my zombie zone is soft, as in, not excessively calloused. a couple winters back, it either opened up on its own or i intentionally ripped it open or both. underneath, it smelled like your finger after its had a band-aid wrapped around it for a couple days and is overly moist (and obviously, it looked that way prior to the ripping). there was another layer of skin under it, just thin and sensitive.

i feel like i'm close to having the foundational parts laid so i can actually make some measurable progress. and stay at the higher intensity levels.
Cool, that's how it worked for me, fall of 2014 I think. Just got easier, more solid, deeper and the gains began to come more rapidly. The squat is probably the most technical lift, so it takes time to figure out what kind of squatter you are (stance, bar position, grip, and so on), and it's also a movement we moderns never do loaded in real life, so like you say, it probably takes a while for the attachments to toughen up and stretch out a bit.

It does seem that to make gains, you either have to train like a powerlifter and keep things between 80 and 90 (or 75 and 95?) percent intensity, or train like a bodybuilder and do everything to failure, and some of those other tricks they have, which suck and can make training dreadful in a hurry, unless you're masochistic and highly motivated to look like Ahnold. I opt for the former of course, and so far, I've found the percentage-to-rep count formulas pretty accurate (85% = five reps, 90% = three reps, etc.), once you adjust a bit to allow multiple sets. If you're doing six reps, then something like 83% 1RM should be about all you can do over multiple sets. If you could easily squeeze out a couple more reps if your really had to, or if you only require a minute's rest in between sets, then your loads are probably too low, i.e., the stimulus hasn't passed the threshold of adaptation, or has passed it, but only weakly so. At least that's been my experience.

ithe weird zombie zone on my feet keeps threatening to cause problems, but i keep hitting it with chip-n-seal and it hasn't worn through or broken yet. i can't make up my mind as to whether it is some sort of mechanical thing, a fungal thing, both, or neither. sometimes it seems to poof out a little, sometimes it seems to collapse in and you can feel this weird canyon like low area in the midst of the thicker/tougher skin. the area covered seems to wax and wane. it is indeed very strange.
I had something that maybe looked like that under the 2nd met of my right foot. Turns out that I was landing with an emphasis on my 2nd met, then the rest of the mets. It wasn't too obvious, except when I started running on concrete sidewalks, and even more so on the treadmill. I've since learned to land evenly using the entire met pad. May or may not apply in your case. Good luck!

Reactions: DNEchris
Video'd a coupe of squats with my new range of motion. Seems like my depth is ok, I am keeping my stance in tight which cause my knees to extend further past my toes but it seems to cause the least torque on them so I think it should be ok? 5kg jump in a couple of weeks should be fine. I think I am going to go to a 6 x 5 scheme rather than an 8. Seems like I get a better workout with a few less reps but more weight.
I've stopped worrying about how my knees track, and it seems to help. I read somewhere that it's OK if they splay a bit outwards, instead of trying to keep everything perfectly aligned, and this has felt more natural for me, with no noticeable strain on the knees. And my knees are pretty good at straining. So my cues now are really just getting the right stance, a little wider than shoulder-width with toes pointed outwards slightly, and then controlling for a rigid spine/correct posture. Everything else seems to fall into place.

Things were feeling surprisingly strong so I auto-regulated and went for it a bit on the bench and DL. Bench felt surprisingly easy at 90kgs no shoulder issues, the deadlifts were heavy but were fast and peppy, no grinding at all. Really happy with this workout. I think only deadlifting regular and heavy every other week might be a good way to fully recover between heavy days. I have also been thinking about throwing out my third lifting day and only do workouts on Mon and Wed. Then I will have a 4 day recovery period to help setup the longer endurance runs on the weekend. I think the extra hour of sleep on Friday might be more beneficial than having a goof around day in the gym especially as my focus shifts a bit more to endurance.
I've been hampered by a strange sore throat/sore jaw, low-energy bug for two weeks now, but I think even if I were 100%, the loads are starting to get up to the point where six lifts is just going to be too much, mentally, if not physically, even if I alternate heavy and light. So I'm thinking of doing a full-body split like you. Only thing is, since I don't really have any endurance goals, I may try an optional fourth workout on the weekend. So something like this:

Monday
Workout A
Primary
Squat
Overhead Press
Secondary
Barbell Row
Pulldowns
Assistance
Pullover
LM Twist

Wednesday
Workout B
Primary
Deadlift
Bench Press
Secondary
1 DB Row
Assistance
Dips
Hill Run

Friday
Workout A

Saturday/Sunday
Workout B (optional)

This way I could really focus on the two primary lifts and really push them, doing some variation of the 2/3/5/7+ scheme with auto-regulation (more sets of some rep-counts for example, if I'm feeling it). I would continue to get in my two weakest lifts twice a week. Having the Bench and DL optionally on the weekend might work because these are the two most kid-friendly lifts. Especially with the Deadlift, I don't have to worry about junior distracting me too much, and if I only get in these two lifts on, say, a Saturday, it will only take 30-40 minutes, which should be within my kids' patience tolerance while waiting for dad to finish. I could also do the Deadlifts as RDLs on the weekends to hasten the workout. I could also do the Bench lighter and maybe focus a bit more on dips. The idea would be just to get something in so that a whole week doesn't pass between doing the DL and BP, to maintain a little frequency. If this doesn't work out, I could go back to some version of the 5-7-3 weekly wave. But in general I'm experiencing something of a conundrum, trying to maintain a high frequency, full body approach while also feeling the urge to go heavy and more intensely on the main lifts.

Thoughts?

Yeah that was my problem too and to some extent I am running into that issue again with my split as well. It seems like intensity can be had with high weights and lower volume and frequency as much as lower weight and higher volume. The one heavy and one light a week has been working ok. I think your idea is good, maybe only do one row type a day though. I would suggest against DL twice a week though. I also always intermix my pushes and pulls that helps save a little time.

I'll think about it a little more but doing it 3+ days a week should be doable. And if it gets tough you can always drop weight and work reps more on Friday and Sat/Sun. Maybe focus mostly on getting two consistent workouts in a week at the minimum too, build up that feeling of consistency.

Thanks for the comments about the squat, the tight back position seems to be the most important thing for me on the squats as you mention. Interesting.