Concrete is bliss!

Modenacart

Barefooters
Jan 3, 2014
New Bern, NC
I have been running my short barefoot career, since late November, on nothing but asphalt and a little dirt and it has been rough. I can now run five miles and not get blisters but it takes a few days for my feet to recover.

Well, I am on travel at the Sheraton in Carlsbad and got to run on concrete side walks.

It was amazing! My feet would have lasted 10 miles if I had the lungs and the knee for it. The hills killed me as I am used to very flat eastern NC.

I did get a blister between my big toe and the ball of my foot. I don't know if this was the hills or a rock. I didn't notice it until my shower.

Southern California is a nice place to run.

Its best to run as many different surfaces as possible to have good overall sole conditioning...you can get really good at one type of surface but it may not transfer to other surfaces. Try to get some trails, gravel, rough asphalt etc. mixed into with your regular surface. I find the best overall surfaces to help all others is to run on gravel roads but its also the most annoying when your not used to it.

I hadn't realized how soft I'd gotten since the beginning of the year, running on a treadmill and then on an indoor loop, until I was on an icy-slushy-snowy miserable lumpy trail yesterday and had my ankles severely challenged for a couple miles. Oye!

All was fine on this, the morning after. I did give my legs an extra bit of roller loving, though.

To relate back to the thread, the trail under the ice and such was actually one of my faves, being extra first class rolled asphalt.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts