Class Action Suit Filed Against Vibram FiveFingers for Misleading Consumers That Its Shoes Provide “

Class Action Suit Filed Against Vibram FiveFingers for Misleading Consumers
That Its Shoes Provide “Health Benefits of Barefoot Running”
By Bill Katovsky, Zero Drop

VFFs.png

Berman DeValerio, one of the country's premier class action law firms focused on business litigation, has recently filed a class-action lawsuit against Vibram and Vibram FiveFingers in the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts. The complaint seeks a jury trial on the grounds that Vibram is making "false" health claims about its product. The entire legal document is reproduced below. But first a few things. Vibram isn't the first shoe company to be in the legal hot seat. Earlier this month, a Baltimore product liability lawyer filed a Skechers ‘Shape-Ups’ Class-Action Lawsuit that "seeks money damages for consumers who paid a “premium price” for Skechers “Shape-Ups” based on TV, print and Internet ads that touted the toning shoes’ health benefits." The complaint further states that "Skechers is currently being investigated for its toning shoes marketing claims" -- it would provide health benefits 'without setting foot in a gym'--by the Federal Trade Commission. In September, the FTC reached a $25 million settlement with Reebok for making similar fitness claims about its own brand of toning shoes." CONTINUE READING THE FULL LEGAL COMPLAINT AGAINST VIBRAM/VIBRAM FIVEFINGERS

http://zero-drop.com/?p=3884#more-3884

This is what I hate about America. It sucks that this kind of thing is catching on in the UK too now.
Then maybe it's really a "human" thing and not an American thing?

We don't want to be responsible for our own choices if they involve negative consequences. So what if Vibram has warnings and educational material plastered all over their packaging and website? I didn't read any of it and got hurt so it is their fault and now I want my $5 that I'll get if we win the class action suit while the lawyer gets potentially thousands...

In semi-related news I am filing a class action suit against general motors for making claims that my car is safe. Despite all the warnings and educational materials out there about the car not being intended to be driven through trees I did it anyway and got hurt and it's all their fault for making me think this car was safe! How was I supposed to know it wasn't?!

Reactions: tao.of.gemini
I'm getting cards all of the time about class action lawsuits. One for the gas at Costco, one for the Craftsman lawnmower, one for the Kenmore fridge, etc. I throw them away. The only ones making money are the attorneys. I guess they want to keep companies in check about false claims, but its not worth my time.

Reactions: hendrix76
Actual false claims I fully support. But what is wrong with society where no-one wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore? Is it just because of the pressure to get rich and have as much money as possible that people see lawsuits as a get rich quick scheme? I dunno. Sometimes I wonder about the future of the human race.

Actual false claims I fully support. But what is wrong with society where no-one wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore? Is it just because of the pressure to get rich and have as much money as possible that people see lawsuits as a get rich quick scheme? I dunno. Sometimes I wonder about the future of the human race.

Watch the movie Idiocracy. We're all doomed.

What I don't get is why we aren't filing a class-action lawsuit against the boat anchor-shoe companies for all the damage they've caused us. Anyone?

What I don't get is why we aren't filing a class-action lawsuit against the boat anchor-shoe companies for all the damage they've caused us. Anyone?

Or better yet, why not file a class-action against Nike for inventing running shoes in the first place and causing everyone injuries :)

Here, here!

I mean just look at what they did to me? Was there any warning for me when I took up running eight years ago? NO! I am damaged for life from that crap, and yet I haven't filed a lawsuit against them. If anyone had a case, it would be me!

Watch the movie Idiocracy. We're all doomed.

If you haven't watched Idiocracy, you've got to. It is a dumb movie, that is insanely funny, insightful, and totally true at the same time. I agree, we're all doomed. I used to have a doctor at work that asked me all the time when we were going to have kids because we need more normal ones to save society. This movie makes his point.

I agree with the comments above re shoe coffin manufacturers (a no-brainer, really) but think that the real problem is the lack of oversight on advertising in the US in general. I think it's the underlying cause of many of the things that ail the country today.

Idiocracy, yes!

Plus they haven't been contaminated by years and years of bad shoe choices, right?