Chunk of skin ripped off

Lost a decent size chunk of my precious protective skin layer during my last X-Dog adventure race.
The terrain was a bit extreme, White River canyon filled with some nasty glacial till and rocks.

Scramble 01_lr.JPGScramble 02_lr.JPGScramble 03_lr.JPGScramble 04_lr.jpg

When running downhill full speed and landing on one of the rough boulders my foot slid sideways and the friction ripped my skin open.

Injury after race 01.JPGInjury after race 02.JPGMissing skin 01.JPG

I cleaned and disinfected it carefully (getting all the sand out was a hell of a job).
I put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and gauze wrapped.

Ripped skin Day 1_02.JPGRipped skin Day 1_01.JPG

Looks like I am off running for a couple of weeks until a new layer of skin grows back.
Any tips how to speed up the recovery ?

Ouch, that looks really nasty.

Two possibilities on how to speed up recovery:
- Put a zinc oxide based cream (e.g., Penatencreme in Germany) on the wound before covering with a normal plaster, and then wrapping with Leukotape classic (only tape that will hold in this place). The plaster/tape arrangement reduces load and pain, and the zinc oxide cream will catch any dirt and wetness getting through the plaster/tape arrangement before it can affect the wound. Change daily.
- Expose the wound to a highly concentrated solution of salt in water. This will cause the wound to form new callus skin faster. Yes, this will hurt. It is an old recipe used by weight lifters and gymnasts for similar tears on the hands. E.g., see http://crossfitnewengland.com/2012/08/23/hand-tears/, http://crossfitcypress.com/pull-ups-tears-and-hand-care-post-tillman/ , http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/68_08_Hand_Rips.pdf .

I have had good results on my feet with the first method, and on my hands with the second. Somehow, for me, the second method did not really help with my feet too much. For smaller patches, I would also use superglue, but your patch is too big for that, the superglue will break and just be a nasty mess in the wound.

So I would recommend the first method with the zinc oxide cream, which allows you to put weight on the foot and at least to walk, if not run.

Regards,

Christian

So I would recommend the first method with the zinc oxide cream, which allows you to put weight on the foot and at least to walk, if not run.

Regards,

Christian

Thank you Christian, I am going to go with the zinc oxide cream. I will post update as the healing progresses.

Yikes! Should I have eaten first?

Dang, that is an impressive wound. I wish you speedy healing and regrowth.

Thanks Swoggis. Healing has been going well so far. It will only regrow stronger. Pretty sure I will finish the race next year unmarked :D

P
Hats off to you for even attempting that one barefoot!
Looks like a painful injury -hope it heals soon...
Without being macabre in any way, I'd be interested to know how the healing process goes -length of time to repair, what remedies you opt for, etc...
Keep us posted.
(Great pictures of the event on the other thread too by the way...).

P

Without being macabre in any way, I'd be interested to know how the healing process goes -length of time to repair, what remedies you opt for, etc...
Keep us posted.

As for the remedies I am just doing what people suggested. Keeping the wound moist, applying ointment twice a day and replacing the bandage.
Not much progress yet but it has only been three days. I am hoping to get a thin layer of new skin in about a week or so.
As you can see in the photos there are still some microscopic sand particles which I have not been able to dig out completely. :(

Day 1
Ripped skin Day 1_01.JPG

Day 2
Day 2_01.jpg

Day 3
Day 3_02.jpgDay 3_01.jpgDay 3_03.jpg

I hate to say it, but it's going to take more than a couple of weeks before you are running again...and don't challenge me to prove me wrong! ;)

Are you able to soak it yet? Maybe soaking it in some soapy water will help get the particles out.

I hate to say it, but it's going to take more than a couple of weeks before you are running again...and don't challenge me to prove me wrong! ;)

I am not going to challenge you but I still feel I will be able to run again in a week from now. Today is the first day I can step on my left foot with full body weight and there is no pain nor discomfort. That's really encouraging.

Are you able to soak it yet? Maybe soaking it in some soapy water will help get the particles out.

Good idea ! I will try to soak it tomorrow. Soapy water or Epsom salt ?

Day 4
Day 4_01.jpg

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
If it doesn't hurt, I would try the epsom salt.

And maybe some bleach? Hee. ;)

Taped the foot with some duct tape to protect the sensitive spot and went for a 6 mile trail run. Felt like some time ago in the beginning of my transition - every single piece of gravel pinching my feet. Makes me really appreciate the protective function of a thick conditioned plantar skin which I have been taking for granted lately.

Day 8-02.jpg Day 8-03.jpg

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
That's some impressively fast healing. Is it the epsom salts? Or the stimulus of resuming your running so soon after the injury?

I am pretty sure it is the stimulus of resuming running. Although the daily application of Calendula ointment certainly helps too :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090