Suggestion Chapters invisible for non-members

I would like the chapters to be visible for non-members, maybe even the content of the chapters.

As long as you are not (yet) a member you can visit our site, browse through every forum thread but you don´t have permission to enter the chapters-section.

You´re not even allowed to see the list of all existing chapters.

I want to suggest to change that. Permission to see everything, no permission to post anything, like in all the other forums that I know and like on the old site. Permisson for search-engines to search the chapters.

In particular I´m concerned about how to attract new members outside of the US / not-English-speaking countries. They probably ask themselves: "Why would I register to an online community overseas where I have to communicate in a foreign language with people I´ll never have the opportunity to meet for a run?" I think they need to be able to see at least after searching the site and hitting the "chapters"-button that there are people in their own country, chatting in their own language.

Perhaps making just the list of chapters available without seeing the content of the chapters would work and please both sides of the issue. This way, someone from say Germany will know there's more to the site than what they may think, which will make them want to join, but still provide privacy for the members of that chapter.

Right now, we are working on a list to lock down certain parts of the site to non-authenticated viewers to protect the members' identity even more, so this will be something we can discuss then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Agreed, chapters visible, maybe with a little blurb about what kind of content they might contain; local events, communication b/n members. It might feel a little more inviting to potential members, although the price of admission here, $0, is surely an open door.

I don't know if Matt can add a bubble with descriptions or not to menu items. With the forums, we aren't using the descriptions we had in place, but I hope to talk to Matt about seeing if that can be done in the future, once he has more time. Right now, he is busy.

I want to mention this issue again. It bothers me and I think it is urgent to change something here. We have lots of new likes on our Facebook Site after IBRD. And we don´t have a single new member in the Germany Chapter except for one who I invited personally. Why would anybody in Germany who is new to barefoot running, wants to meet other people and share experiences, why would he or she think that the BRS is the right place? There is no cue whatsoever that there are German members who write in German, live nearby and build an active community.

Here´s one example how I try to overcome this problem. I´ve done that more than once and the questions, problems and obstacles for non-members are always similar.

Shitty Registration.png

Translation:

Jo Ohneschuh: [My invitation with a link to our site, no translation needed.]
New Member: "Thanks, I just registered."
New Member: "Can´t find German Chapter yet."
Jo Ohneschuh: [link to Germany Chaper]
New Member: [copy of error message from BRS Site] "Err... maybe I´ll have to wait for approval of my registration?"
Jo Ohneschuh: "Apparently so. As soon as you get the confirmation, it should work. Once you are on the Germany Chapter page, there´s a small button "join group". Hit it!"

Maybe this works in single cases. But if new members only find their way into the BRS by personal invitation and step-by-step instructions how to deal with the registration-process, we´ll never be the place where you want to be as a bf-runner in Germany.

Make changes, please!

[edit] P.S.: As a consequence, we´re not visible for search engines, too. E.g. on the old site, a web-search for "Dresden Barfuß" would find a thread on the BRS-site about our meet-up in Dresden last year. Now: Nothing. Same with "Barfußlaufen" "Barfuß Deutschland", even "Barefoot Runners Society Deutschland". We are invisible. :(

Reactions: Barefoot Mecki
Jo, you explain the problem perfectly. A lot of those new likes on our FB-Site are from friend of mine. Some of them definitely don't speak English and asked me how to find the German Chapter on the BRS-Site.

It would help and make our job much easier, if it would be possible to find us without problems.

Reactions: joohneschuh
See my comments in your other Site Help thread. We can make the chapters visible quickly, right Matt? I see now how Google would need to see the actual pages of the various Chapters, and not just the Chapters Listing. Got it. But beyond that, what else can we do...specifically? Maybe create an area on the site, like at the top right in a blank area, where there is a gathering of international flags, which would give the appearance that there is more international offerings just below once it is clicked on which could like to the Chapters Listing (not the Chapters link). Then have a flag to represent each of the Chapters/countries (Chapter avatar) in the Chapters Listing.

InternationalFlagsGlobe.jpg

And just a note. We understand the need to make the BRS more "internationally-friendly." This is an ultimate goal of ours and something we have long wanted but been unable to implement for many reasons. Please understand that we are doing the best we can with what we have. As you all know, the BRS is an all-volunteer operation. Running the BRS is time-consuming. I have been spending much of the last month sleeping due to the nerve pain medication I am taking (upping the dose every week as well) as it keeps me dizzy, drowsy, and unable to or even wanting to think. Matt has a lot going on with work and school as well, and we both have families and other obligations too (although I have had to put many of mine aside).

I know you guys understand this and are supportive of us. I really do Johannes. And we understand the urgency. It is important. We need this. We got that. It's just some of this is going to take some time. Would you be willing to help us cut down on that time by adding those flags to the Countries' Avatars? We would have to see if we can find some free clip art, or I'd be willing to buy some, and get the globe as well. Matt or I can give you access to do this.

Reactions: joohneschuh
And just a note. We understand the need to make the BRS more "internationally-friendly." This is an ultimate goal of ours and something we have long wanted but been unable to implement for many reasons. Please understand that we are doing the best we can with what we have. As you all know, the BRS is an all-volunteer operation. Running the BRS is time-consuming. I have been spending much of the last month sleeping due to the nerve pain medication I am taking (upping the dose every week as well) as it keeps me dizzy, drowsy, and unable to or even wanting to think. Matt has a lot going on with work and school as well, and we both have families and other obligations too (although I have had to put many of mine aside).

I know you guys understand this and are supportive of us. I really do Johannes. And we understand the urgency. It is important. We need this. We got that. It's just some of this is going to take some time. Would you be willing to help us cut down on that time by adding those flags to the Countries' Avatars? We would have to see if we can find some free clip art, or I'd be willing to buy some, and get the globe as well. Matt or I can give you access to do this.

:oops: Did I push a little too much?
Sorry for that. ;)
Of course I know very well how much effort you put into all this and I truly appreciate that, TJ and Matt. I hope, my push serves for a greater good and apologize!

And I´m ready to help whatever I can do (I´m a skilled software user and don´t shy away from new tasks, but I know nothing about programming).

Reactions: Barefoot Mecki
I know you understand. You're good people.

I don't know how we could share a link back to that site. I would rather pay for or find some clip art that doesn't have any requirements on its usage.