Celebrating the re-opening of the BRS!

Paleo

Barefooters
Oct 14, 2010
Bonn, Germany
Dear Dedicated Members,

Today is a big day for the BRS. We are sporting a new look, using new software, with a much more robust and stable hosting infrastructure. Our new URL:

www.thebarefootrunners.org (note the addition of “the”)

With that, we are going make the BRS more successful than ever, and with the new technology, it will be much easier to maintain. We're still working on some design issues and we may have technical issues to sort out, since none of this could be beta tested sufficiently. So, please bear with us if issues arise over the coming months.

As you may have noticed, there is also currently a dispute concerning the copyright over the old website and the ownership of the old URL. One of the original founders, who has been mostly inactive as a member since summer 2010, is claiming ownership over the old design and URL, although all original founders agreed that all efforts would be voluntary, unpaid, and on behalf of the BRS. He also is actively trying to sell them. The Barefoot Runner’s Society LLC disputes this act, in particular because the BRS LLC is a legal entity registered in Georgia and it is not for sale. Given the legal implications, we refrain from publicly presenting more details.

But, despite all that, the BRS is back! It is managed centrally by BarefootTJ, KittyK, Paleo and mmoore5553, with help and moral support from Last Place Jason, Barefoot KenBob (Senior Advisor to the Board) and many others in the barefoot running community.

Our priority is providing a platform for the wonderful community that the BRS has become over the last two and a half years. We hope that you’ll jump right back in with new forum entries, questions about stubbed toes, blog articles, and posting your calendar events.

Be sure to change your bookmarks and links to www.thebarefootrunners.org

Thank you for bearing with us during all of the difficulties of the last several weeks. We are most grateful for the warm support expressed on the Facebook pages and in other forums.

We hope you enjoy the new site.

Cheers,
BarefootTJ, mmoore5553, KittyK and Paleo

P.S. Please note: the move and the software change have been planned now for a couple of months, as part of our wish to improve the site. The other party initiated the copyright dispute arose in response to our starting the migration process. The two issues are, however, quite separate from each other.

Here are some of the basic facts about the BRS and its history.

The BRS was founded in November 2009. Six people originally founded and organized the BRS as a non-profit in Florida on March 29, 2010. At that time, all founders agreed that all efforts were voluntary, no one would receive payment or make a profit off the BRS, and only reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses would me made. All founders agreed that all work performed for the BRS on behalf of the BRS would belong to the BRS; this included its website and domain name. Its mission was and is to promote and support barefoot running and provide an internet platform for the barefoot running community.

When it came time to file an Annual Report to renew the non-profit organization in Florida, the BRS no longer had a registered agent representing the BRS living in Florida which is required. Since the only founders remaining were TJ and Jason, they agreed to dissolve the Articles of Incorporation in Florida and have TJ reorganize as an LLC in Georgia, as this would be a more affordable alternative as well. (Federal non-profit status would be applied for in the year 2012 when the funds were available.) A notice was sent out to all the founders of the pending dissolution, although absent. The BRS reemerged as an LLC on March 28, 2011. Under the legal entity, BRS LLC, TJ has been managing the BRS website prior to and since, particularly with technical help from TJ, Joe D. and Matt Moore, and help on other things from many members.

The BRS's 2011 Financial Statement has long been publicly available on the website. If you have read it, you know that the BRS operates with very modest means, mostly through your donations supplemented by meager advertising revenue.

Reactions: BF Mitch
w00t glad y'all are back!

In every group, there's always at least one Richard Cranium. I'm glad the site is back up.

I can't even begin to tell you all how much I appreciate all you do for this place.
Thank you to all of you!

Glad you are back. Has there ever been any thought to going 501C3? I assumed it was for some reason but obviously not. Just a thought - and people doing work could still be paid salaries, so non-profit does not mean you don't make money for your time.
Other than that, I'm very happy you guys are back and to stick my head in the sand with regards to any legal disputes... because none of us not in the know have any way of knowing... you know?

Bitchin' avatar, PR

We were a Florida non-profit between March 2010 and March 2011, but when we no longer had a registered agent living in Florida to file our Annual Report, which is required by the Florida Secretary of State, we had to dissolve there and reorganize, hence the tad bit of history above (and believe me, it's a tad, for now). After that I promised to file for FEDERAL non-profit status once we had the funds. Right now, we have less than $1,000 available from 2011. We earmarked $600-$700 for site hosting expenses, as the members and I have always paid for the hosting/housing of the site (minus two or three months), and the remainder to file for federal non-profit status. That pretty much does it for any "so-called profit" we made in 2011. No one here gettin' rich. Did I say I love this SPELLCHECKER and that DRUPAL SUCKS!

it's all nice and shiny. i took my shoes off before coming inside so i don't dirty the place up. yes, they are clean.

i like the like button and the conversation feature. what is weird is the awards for posts and such. how about a beer instead?

Took off your shoes! Ha! Now your damn shoe stinkin' feet are all dirty on our new floor. Go wash 'em!

my feet are clean, not the shoes. i only wear those to work and chemistry lab, where its required.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test