Buy minmalist shoes locally

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by minnesotan_ice, Sep 23, 2010.

1. minnesotan_ice Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi, I just tried barefooting a few times recently for only five minute runs. My calf muscles were screaming in pain the next day. So, I want to ease into barefoot running by wearing minimalist shoes for a while to give my feet and lower legs a chance to get stronger. I see many minimalist shoes that I'm willing to try. I'm hesitant to buy anything without trying it on first, especially since many of these minimalist shoes are at least $80. I know I can try on Vibram's at REI and a few other places around town, but really am more interested in something that looks like a normal shoe. I'm thinking Feelmax Osma or anything similar. Does anyone know of a local shop that sells minimalist shoes that are NOT Vibram's?
  2. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum ice!

There aren't actually any local sellers of Terra Plana and Feelmax shoes. They are both only available online. That's one of the problems with those types of shoes. Personally, that's one of the reasons I didn't get a pair.

If you are looking for a minimalist option that you can buy at a local running store, I suggest looking at a racing flat. They aren't going to have the same great groundfeel as a Vibram, but they are going to be much more lightweight and flexible than a typical trainer. Some favorites of the minimalist crowd are the Mizuno Wave Racer and the Saucony Kilkenney.

I initially had issues with the look of the Vibram shoes as well. In fact, I still do. They are seriously ugly. But they do work pretty outstanding. From what I've seen lately, a lot of local stores have pretty limited selection though. I've been telling people to try them on in a local store, and then buy them online.

Just one point to address on the use of minimalist shoes to lessen calf and lower leg pain. You actually won't see much of a difference in your level of soreness going up to a minimalist shoe. It's an issue for noobs in both areas. The good part is that the soreness you felt is only temporary. Give it a good week or two and you won't have much issues with it.

Again welcome! Good to have you!

3. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Also check out the other

Also check out the other thread you posted. TJ and Abide posted some advice. It's not as good as mine 8)

4. mTm Barefooters

Message Count:
    I suppose I should post this

I suppose I should post this in both threads, but if you want to try on something other than Five Fingers, you can find the Merrel Barefoot series at REI and at Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis. They use the Five Finger Trek sole, but are a closed-toe shoe, which I think are going to be better than a racing flat due to the wider toebox. I use the Trail Gloves and like them a lot. I get less blisters from them than my Five Fingers. Beside VFF, those are really the only other barefoot shoe you can find in stores here in MN from what I know. Good luck!