Buy minmalist shoes locally

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by minnesotan_ice, Sep 23, 2010.

1. minnesotan_ice Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi, I just tried barefooting a few times recently for only five minute runs. My calf muscles were screaming in pain the next day. So, I want to ease into barefoot running by wearing minimalist shoes for a while to give my feet and lower legs a chance to get stronger. I see many minimalist shoes that I'm willing to try. I'm hesitant to buy anything without trying it on first, especially since many of these minimalist shoes are at least $80. I know I can try on Vibram's at REI and a few other places around town, but really am more interested in something that looks like a normal shoe. I'm thinking Feelmax Osma or anything similar. Does anyone know of a local shop that sells minimalist shoes that are NOT Vibram's?
  2. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Minn, we are getting ready to

Minn, we are getting ready to release our Minimalist Footwear Reviews & Buyer's Guide, if you can wait a little while. It's jammed packed with info to make a more informative decision.

3. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
    TJ? I'm surprised at your

TJ? I'm surprised at your response :O
  4. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    What?!  If people aren't

What?! If people aren't going to run barefoot first, I would prefer they choose the best possible, most healthy "shoes" they can. Minn, sounds like he's not ready for that. Besides, we've worked hard on this issue. :tongue:

Although I would say, Minn, if you do pick a true minimalist shoe, you are still going to be working your calf muscles, Achilles, etc., so you're not going to be preventing this from happening by just wearing true minimalist footwear.

And, Abide, if I don't say it just right, or I am lacking saying what should be said, please feel free to step in and share your opinion.

5. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
    Ahh that's more like it I'm

Ahh that's more like it :) I'm just goofing with you.

I do think that a buyers guide will be awesome.
  6. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I just saw where this was a

I just saw where this was a double tread, and you replied on the other thread.

7. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
    Sometimes I feel like a

Sometimes I feel like a broken record though?

Anyways Minn I think TJ is right, minimalist shoes won't help out with your soreness. The best thing when you start out is to work it up slowly and really focus on getting your form down. Your calves are likely screaming because you are spending too much time on your forefoot and not keeping your feet relaxed. There is a ton more information here in the forum for beginners, so check it out. It provides better explanations than I am able to.

It is cold up there so I get the attraction to footwear, but hang in there with the barefeet too.

Oh yeah, welcome!
  8. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    The other thread is a lot

The other thread is a lot better. I posted on there.

9. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
    I agree, Saypay answers your

I agree, Saypay answers your question much better in his thread. Unless you like soap boxes?
  10. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    (No subject)

:party:

11. minnesotan_ice Barefooters

Message Count:
    Sorry if this is a stupid

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've searched for the other thread. Not finding. Can you post link? And thanks everyone for the info.
  12. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
  13. mTm Barefooters

Message Count:
    I posted a reply in the other

I posted a reply in the other thread, but I'll mention it here too. MN-Ice, if you want to try on something other than Five Fingers, you can find the Merrel Barefoot series at REI and at Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis. They use the Five Finger Trek sole, but are a closed-toe shoe. I use them and like them a lot. I get less blisters from them than my Five Fingers. Beside VFF, those are really the only other barefoot shoe you can find in stores here in MN. Good luck!