BRS... Direct or Indirect Challenge with Nike?

inbetweenmytoes

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Now, I don't believe that the Barefoot Runners Society was created in direct defiance of Nike. It's purpose, as stated in the mission statement, is:

To offer resources that unite barefoot and minimalist runners from around the world;To promote barefoot running and minimalist running around the world and at race events as a competitive sport;To educate the running public on the health benefits of barefoot and minimalist running;To dispel the myths associated with barefoot running that negatively impact the sport.[/list]
Some curious coincidences, however, make a strong argument for at least a subconscious competition with the company that introduced a cushioned sole promoting the dreaded heel strike.

First, the BRS acronym. Before Nike officially became Nike Inc. in 1978, Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight called their business Blue Ribbon Sports (BRS)... hmmm.

I became aware of the second coincidence (or perhaps blatant paradox/spoof) when visiting the BRS Store and clicking on the temporary tattoo link. Talented designer, Krista Cavender aka Zapmamak, could speak as to whether or not the Nike 'Swoosh' was in anyway inspiration for the BRS 'Smoosh.'

Light-heartedness aside, thank you to all who have helped develop this fantastic resource for barefoot and minimalist runners alike. Whether you cringe at the sight of Nikes moving along your running path or can maintain a symbiotic relationship with those who have not yet reached the 'Nike-free' enlightenment, there is something here at Barefoot Runners Society for you.

Nice I like the conspiracy

Nice I like the conspiracy theories.

You know the only thing I cringe about from Nike is the comment I stole from their website below.

"Get all the benefits of running barefoot without sacrificing comfort in the Nike Free 7.0 V2 Men's Running Shoe. Designed to be virtually weightless, you'll get the flexibility and ground-feel you're after with the cushioning and support you need to log the miles."

Here is what the shoe actually looks like and no, there is not ground feel with them.

attachment.php

And, uh, don't forget my

And, uh, don't forget my signature. ;-)

I desired a "swoosh" we could put on our feet when running races. Zap warned us of the legalities involved in adopting a symbol that closely looks like the real thing, but she gave us options to "tweak" the logo to make it our own. I LOVE what she came up with. I felt it deserved a really good name, and of course, the ONLY thing that came to mind was the BRS Smoosh.

The BRS name relation was brought up by someone here before, but I can't remember who. Sends shivers down my spine...NOT! Ha!

Seriously folks, check out the Stray Tats graphic under the Store tab/link above. We have some really cute and majorly affordable temporary tattoos. They cost next to nothing. You can even set your own size. Warmer weather and race season is upon us, so you'll want to show off your barefoot and BRS pride. You can put them on your feet or the backs of your legs or on your backs (recommended for guys only), or your arms, wherever.

Hey, don't forget i live

Hey, don't forget i live right down the street from "THEM". I see runners out everyday, more and more as it starts warming up here. I see almost everyone with terrible form. 1 out of a few hundred has good form. Which has led me to come up with a new bf word if i can find that post.

Mike

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts