Big Island, Hawaii

fmagic

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
Paoli, PA
www.onandoffthetrail.com
I am going to the Big Island of Hawaii soon and wanted to find out advice on what footwear I need to bring along. We plan to explore the volcanic areas, and everyone keeps insisting that we bring hiking boots. I haven't used my hiking boots in years since I've gone minimalist. Will I be okay with my Vibram Five Fingers or Merrell Trail Gloves or do I really need something with a thicker sole for the sharp, jagged rocks that everyone is telling us about? My plan is to simply bring flip flops for the pools/beach, Vibram's for day-to-day use, and Merrell Trail Gloves for any more difficult hiking. I figured I might as well post here because I don't know where else to go.

Feel free to post in the Hawaii Chapter too.

I am back... and just wanted to update my post to share my experience for others. My opinion is that I definitely needed shoes on the Big Island of Hawaii. Most of the trails there are lava rock and sharp, and the sun causes most surfaces to be very hot most of the time. I was able to manage in flip flops almost everywhere, but I did use my Vibram's for a hike into Kilauea Iki and they worked out fine. I also put on my Merrell Trail Gloves for a hike across the 2010 hardened lava to get to the lava viewing areas at both ends of Chain of Craters Rd. I did not take my hiking boots, thankfully. I really do not see myself ever needing them again! Almost everyone in Hawaii wears flip flops. I only saw a few barefooters around, mostly around the towns of Pahoa and Kehena Beach, which were new age/hippy areas.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ