Best and worst runs in a 3 day time span

Shaun Mac

Barefooters
Aug 12, 2011
Sunday went out and did a 3 miler. 1.25 miles of it was on gravel. Felt real good, finished strong, form felt good. Probably my best run of this whole transition. Feet were tender the next day though.

Tuesday went out to do another 3 miler, legs were tired, (probably from biking on Mon.) heel hurt (apparently heel came down on a rock on the sunday gravel). Balls of feet burned (this whole run was on chip seal streets). Made it 2 miles and called it quits.

Just felt like whining a little. I read somewhere we need bad runs to remind us how good the good runs feel.

I agree.  The bad ones really

I agree. The bad ones really make the good ones great. I had one run once where it seemed every step I took ended with me landing on something. I was nearly ticked off, like WTS! I haven't had a run like that since, and that was a couple years ago.

I think as long as you learn

I think as long as you learn something, there is no "bad run". You ran over a mile on gravel and then 2 days later ran on chip seal...those are some challenging surfaces! No doubt you learned a lot about your form and what it takes to stay loose and relaxed, running under those conditions.(both are my biggest challenge)

I will say this...running on acorns and rain groves in my normal training runs sure made my last 5k surface feel like I was stepping on egyptian cotton!!! I never thought concrete could feel soft!

-Jonny