Barefootin' in the Local Paper

Liz

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Hey guys. My local paper did a pretty good story about bfr. Check it out.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/09/14/1433879/barefoot-runners-say-you-can-save.html

I was slightly misquoted, which it makes me sound a little wierd, but everything else is great! I hope this will bring more runners to our club meeting this Saturday!

Here's my favorite pic from the story.

100914barefootPA0364.standalone.prod_affiliate.79.jpg

That certainly is an ignorant

That certainly is an ignorant comment made by pcull in the comments section.

Very nice article and congrats.

Shacky wrote:That certainly

Shacky said:
That certainly is an ignorant comment made by pcull in the comments section.

Very nice article and congrats.
It's a requirement, that there be at least one ignorant comment. I sometimes wonder if it's the same person just commenting on all the barefoot running articles that pop up.

Matt wrote:It's a

Matt said:
It's a requirement, that there be at least one ignorant comment. I sometimes wonder if it's the same person just commenting on all the barefoot running articles that pop up.

It's also a requirement that every article about barefoot running has to have a picture of VFF's. This is why when someone hears you run barefoot they say, "ooh, you wear those glove things?"

It was a nice article, great job!

Nice article, Liz.  You did a

Nice article, Liz. You did a great job. It was mostly correct, but a few wrong points. They said you headed up the Kentucky Chapter of the Barefoot Running Society, when it's the Barefoot Runners Society (don't worry, we get that all the time), and the other thing they said was that Ken Bob's site's slogan is "Changing the world one odd look at a time" when that's actually the BRS's slogan but more completely as "Changing the running world one odd look at a time." And of course we all know that people with low or high arches can run barefoot just as well as anybody else out there. But oh well. At least it was a mostly positive article.

You guys looked great though. Loved the photos! How'd you find those other barefoot runners?

Thanks guys!I bet that idiot

Thanks guys!

I bet that idiot with the negative post isn't a runner at all. I seems to me the people who have the most to say about BFR don't even work out!

TJ - I know she screwed up a lot of details, but the message was good. Also, it was a great way to let people know we're here. In the paper copy she had an aside that has the KY Chapter contact info, so hopefully it'll direct people to the right place. As for the others, I'm out running at the same park every Saturday, so I figured I'd hold a group run every week. My local running shop had an open forum with a panel of "experts" (I put that in quotes because they included me along with a doctor, elite trainer, and the owner of the store), but there I gained a few club members. One of the guys in the pic came from that forum, and he comes out nearly every week. The other guy works with me and was hoping that BFR would help his ultimate frisbe game. I feel great about what BFR did for him because he was never a runner, but he likes BFR so much he's already run a 10k and is going to do a half with me next month!

Anyhoo, I'm giving blood this Friday, so the Satruday Run will be a workshop instead. Hopefully more runners will show up this week because of the article.

Now that's the way to

Now that's the way to network! I love that he wasn't even a runner and now he is a barefoot runner. Sweet! So, you won't have the blood drive and the run on the same day; is that what you're saying? Hmmmm? Hee. Now wouldn't that be something? If you did, would you give blood before you run or after? ;-)

The person who put the

The person who put the negative comment in there must be a complete freaking idiot to post something that stupid! Who writes something that ignorant? That person evidently doesn't have the IQ to use a keyboard!

What the heck? We don't wear

What the heck? We don't wear shoes so now we're nerds?! What logic is that?! (Not that I really mind being called a nerd, I do after all read Popular Science and Popular Mechanics almost religiously, the guy is just dumb though.)

And what is with people and glass? There really isn't that much glass on the ground, anywhere! Even when there is glass, almost all of it is lying flat, totally incapable of harming you in any way. Especially on a road, where the tiny bits of glass get mixed in with the gravel and rough road surface. And even if you do somehow manage to get a peice of glass stuck in your foot, you just have to pull it out, and wipe off the bit of blood, exactly the same as any natural thorn, which people don't seem to worry about even though they're far more common and annoying. A peice of glass large enough to cause any serious damage, like the bottom ring of a glass bottle, would cut right through your shoe anyways, so its actually safer barefoot, because we actually look at what we're about to step on!

Sorry for the rant, I know you guys are all aware of that fact already, but people bring up glass SO MUCH!@!@!@!@!@!

The newspaper article itself was good though, good job.

Danjo wrote:What the heck?

Danjo said:
What the heck? We don't wear shoes so now we're nerds?! What logic is that?! (Not that I really mind being called a nerd, I do after all read Popular Science and Popular Mechanics almost religiously, the guy is just dumb though.)

And what is with people and glass? There really isn't that much glass on the ground, anywhere! Even when there is glass, almost all of it is lying flat, totally incapable of harming you in any way. Especially on a road, where the tiny bits of glass get mixed in with the gravel and rough road surface. And even if you do somehow manage to get a peice of glass stuck in your foot, you just have to pull it out, and wipe off the bit of blood, exactly the same as any natural thorn, which people don't seem to worry about even though they're far more common and annoying. A peice of glass large enough to cause any serious damage, like the bottom ring of a glass bottle, would cut right through your shoe anyways, so its actually safer barefoot, because we actually look at what we're about to step on!

Sorry for the rant, I know you guys are all aware of that fact already, but people bring up glass SO MUCH!@!@!@!@!@!

The newspaper article itself was good though, good job.

I agree don't know where the glass deal comes from lol. I mean you would think every square inch of the Earth was covered in glass or something lol! I could run through it anyway being a barefooter for years!

I would rather pull a few

I would rather pull a few slivers of glass out of my feet now and again, than to deal with persistent injuries from traditional running shoes (TRS)--that's right, you saw it here first...TRS!

Well, I give about every 2

Well, I give about every 2 months, and I've learned to take it easy for a day or two. I'll run on Sunday, but it'll be an easy one. In March I ran a 5k the morning after giving blood, and I felt like I was going to die when I finished. That was also my first BF race, and the last time I'll push myself within a day of giving blood!

Live and learn, right?

Live and learn, right?

My general response to the

My general response to the glass thing is to ask, "Do you worry about stepping on nails?" or "Don't you pay more attention to the ground when you're barefoot?".