Barefoot Running: Strength before Stride By Erin Marston of Free Thy Feet

barefoot.jpg

Barefoot Running: Strength before StrideBy Erin Marston of Free Thy Feet (www.freethyfeet.com)
After the release of Christopher McDougall's Born to Run, barefoot running has taken off. Runner's everywhere are shedding their running shoes and hitting the trailsin their naked feet. Barefoot running is now the great debate in the running world.

Last year The Denver Athletic Club hosted The Colorado Endurance Conference and the event concluded with a barefoot running panel. The panel consisted of Alan Culpepper, two time OlympicMarathoner, Eric Mundt, owner ofFrontier Physical Therapy, and Scott Poston, Endurance Coach and Fitness Director of the Denver Athletic Club. These experts advocated barefoot strengthening before barefoot running.

It is true that since childhood we have been walking, running, jumping, and livingmostly in shoes. Many peoplehave supportive shoes orinserts, and spend little time barefoot. According to Eric Mundt, Frontierphysical therapist, the muscles of the foot tend to be very weak and are often overlooked during strength training programs. Most people, especially runners, need greater foot strength.

Simple foot strengtheningexercises include:

· Barefoot walking: Start with 50m of slow heel to toe walking. Progression: try with eyes closed

· Toe crunches: Pulling a towelin with your toes (do this on a slick surface and make sure all your

toes are working together, not just your big toe).

· Single leg barefoot balance: If you’re a pro at balance, try this with your eyes closed.

Strengthening the foot will lead to better biomechanics and fewer foot and lower leg injuries that sideline many runners.

I happen to see the benefits of strengthening the feet before using the feet, whether that be in shoes or barefoot, Stomper, especially if the person is coming from traditional foot coffins where their feet have weakened/atrophied. We are seeing lots of transitional injuries, mostly due to transitional footwear, but still, if people would take the time to strengthen their feet, then they would experience less injuries, and I don't need studies to prove that to me. We know that people who have weakened bones, connective tissues, muscles, a.k.a., weakend feet will get injured more likely than someone who has strong feet, ankles, legs, etc.

This same recommendation fits right in-line withthe same way we advise people to get a feel for walking around barefoot first for a few weeks before actually going out and running barefoot, even for 1/4 mile at a time. Remember Barefoot Running 101 from Jason Robillard in the Library? (I just got to say it here and now, the recommendation to run 1/4 of a mile when starting outwas and has always been my recommendation long, long ago when I started that "other" forum with Mark Remy and now has somehow been grabbed as the recommendation that everyone seems to be using). There is absolutely no harm in the message we placed on the home page.

We know most people aren't going to walk around barefoot for a few weeks (or even days) before running barefoot. We also know that most people won't take the time to do some basic exercises to strengthen their feet before running barefoot. But if we can give a good recommendation to do something healthy to help prevent them from being injuried and just a few people follow that recommendation, then what's the harm? I'm here to promote healthy running, and with that comes healthy feet (ankles, legs, body, etc.)

I don't see where you get thatthis article is "professionalizing the benefits of barefoot running." It's just basic, simple, advice looking to help people run safely. No gimmicks here. No making a buck.

The reason why this article comes from the site you linked to above is because that's the same person's site who submitted the article to us. The author, Erin Marston (Bogar), is Free Thy Feet. She didn't just go and take if from somewhere else, as in "borrow it"; she is a contributor to thatsite. :)

The only statement I take partial exception with is (and possibly why it was left out here)As Eric Mundt explained, instability plus instability will likely lead to injury. In such a high injury sport as running, barefoot running may not be the answer, but simply a reminder of our need to strengthen the entire body.

I think of the people who get stress fractures after turning to barefoot and/or minimalist running. The bones in their feet have weakened (bone density) from being overly-protected and padded for so long, that they are well on their way to a stress fracture. Sadly enough, barefootor minimalist running tends to expose this weakness. I think this is where the thinking for the statement above comes from.

I also happen to believe that barefoot running is best for most people.

The article that you reference in your post was written by me in March of 2010 in response to the barefoot running panel held at The Colorado Endurance Conference.

Measuring biomechanics means measuring how forces interact with the human body. The National Academy of Sports Medicine states, “A dynamic postural observation examines basic movements and provides crucial information about how muscles and joints interact. It searches for any imbalances in anatomy, physiology, or biomechanics” (NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training, 127). As a personal trainer I use movement assessments on my clients on a regular basis to measure the strength, stability, and mobility of their joints and muscles. From these movement assessments I have seen marked improvement in foot, ankle, and lower leg stability and strength after clients do several weeks of barefoot strength exercises.

Some runners with strong and stable feet, ankles, and lower legs will likely be able to begin barefoot running and stay injury free. However, many runners do not have strength and stability in their feet, ankles, and lower legs. If you begin with an unstable foot and add the forces and instability ofbarefoot running this can be a shock to the kinetic chain. The kinetic chain is a term used to explain the connectedness of all the muscles and joints in the body.It is the concept that each part of your body is interconnected. The biomechanics of your foot affect those of your ankle. The biomechanics of your ankle affect those of your knee. The biomechanics of your knee affect those of your hip, etc… This concept is vital to consider when discussing barefoot running. Any instability in the body will likely be made worse by adding the extra instability of barefoot running. Instability plus instability will likely lead to injury.

These two questions are commonly asked, it’s great to have this clarification.

-Erin Bogar www.freethyfeet.com

running in shoes is more instable. ;-) -TJ

I strengthen my hips and core to prevent fatigue of those muscles on long runs. I never did foot strengthening when starting bfr other than increasing the time out of shoes. My foot strength was poor and I did experience ankle pain until( I am guessing here) my foot strength could stabilize my arch.

As physiotherapists treat barefoot runners and bfr becomes institutionalized (treatments standardized, documented, bills paid) the more the medical field will be educated and bfr will move into the mainstream.

That was too hard I need a beer :)

I'm believe in foot strengthening, but through activity, not specific exercises.

I think the argument that a person shouldn't run barefoot because their feet are too weak is just another scare tactic.

However, given the foot condition most people start out in, it would be best if they start really, really slowly and do more barefoot walking than running to start. And I'm sure you could make the argument that most people aren't very good at starting out slowly. In that case, maybe it is best to scare them away from barefoot running.

That's the point though. Yes, it's possible, as we all know, that you can condition your feet, ankles, legs, etc., through the actual activity of barefoot running, but what percentage of people are following the advice to take it slow and easy and only go barefoot first? Not many. Most people are opting to not listen to their soles, buying minimalist footwear, and continuing to run the same distances and speeds they did when they were in TRSs.We hear all the time how people are getting injured from TMTS in their VFFs and saying later, I wish I would have started out barefoot first; if I had, I would have adapted more quickly and without whatever injury they suffered. That's why I think this advice is even more important for people transitioning to minimalist footwear. Strengthen the feet first!

Most people aren't listening to and following good advice: to walk for a few weeks first, to strengthen the feet first through walking or specific exercises. We can only hope that by repeating this advice over and over again, people will know the recommendation is out there, and hopefully follow it. It's like educating smokers that it's unhealthy to smoke. At first, not many were listening; but now, many are listening, and we don't see as many smokers as we used to.

I'm with stomper on this one - here's the advice I give, 3 years into bfr

You will definitely not get anywhere doing toe curls for 3 months

Start running barefoot very, very slowly, maybe 20 steps out and 20 back. Add another 20 steps every couple days. Start now, don't worry about what time of year it is. Don't run at all in sneakers. Don't run if your feet are numb. Go bear or minimalist as much as possible when working. You will gain at least 25 pounds if you are already a runner. You will add 2 to 4 minutes to your mile. It could take 3 years or more to get that back, and maybe you never will.

You should run in the rain. You should run in the snow. You should run in the searing heat. You should run on rocks. You should run on tar. You should run on trails. All barefoot.

You could also get faster once you have correct form. You could also lose weight as you start running 30, 40 and 50 miles a week. You might finish the marathon you never could in shoes. You might sneak up on a deer and tap it on the tail. You might have people scream "homo" at you out of their car, and you might have other people say "hardcore" when you pass them on the trail. You will definitely save money on sneakers!

But you will not get anywhere standing on one leg. And barefoot walking is awful. Just run very, very small distances and build very, very slowly.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but here goes. Personal observations over the years has led me to inwardly groan and wait for the worst whenever "I'm a 'fill in the blank' trainer" is written. It just never seems to be a good position for the trainer. Taking all kinds of courses to be able to pass along all the valuable knowledge gained from others to others. Only to have the information change later on since science always marches on.

Like dietary information. If you were a pyramid supporter as a dietician, they have a brand new plate now. Weight Watchers has a brand new, improved points program. What was wrong with the old one? God help me, I never want to be put in the position of having to stake my own personal reputation to pass along information as "scientifically proven" when the scientist who gave it to me is free to change their mind at any time with no loss of face.

I think what Stomper was saying is go to work on promoting leg and lower body strength... just avoid like the plague any assurance that it will improve any general activity like: "This will help prevent some running injuries". Say rather: Single Leg Stands improve overall leg strength, and the real benefit is to the weakest muscles as they must work together as a whole... no isolations needed; and when done with eyes closed helps develop the mind to "feel" the position of the body without reliance on visual cues, and aids in maintaining posture which is important in running, especially on uneven surfaces. Note: I did not say it will improve my running at all. I cannot and ought not to make that claim. Everything I said about leg stands is true (to the best of my knowledge) and is of potential benefit, I just avoided predicting outcomes I cannot back up. Hope that is a little clear. Tough job being a trainer and just wanting to help, isn't it?

John T.

Excuse me, I've been busy for a few days and haven't been able to return to this thread until now. I'm glad to see it generated some discussion.

I wasn't doubting the efficacy of the exercises. Indeed my guess is that they do work. Instead I was doubting that there was evidence they did what the author said, "lead to better biomechanics and fewer foot and leg injuries."

Part of my doubt involved the whole claim about "better biomechanics," because though biomechanics may be a scientific field of study, as you describe it Erin, that scientific study involves individual measurements of force across various joints, etc. In contrast, the phrase "better biomechanics" is a catch all term that doesn't represent any single measurement. If you have an array of values for various torques across various joints, that is indeed a biomechanics data set. But what values for what variables constitute "better" biomechanics? The "better" part is clearly value laden and subjective. I fear when I hear running "experts" talk about this, they are really just making up a fancy way of saying "I looked at the way you run and I don't like it."

The injury claim is more tractable. Injury rates can be clearly measured, but there are lots of reasons why an individual practioner of medicine, physical therapy, etc. can't make a general conclusion about which treatments lower injury rates, just from using their anecdotal experience. It is very hard for them to get a good control group, for example.

So really I never would have even commented if the original post had just tempered the recommendation in some way, for example by saying "In my experience, these exercises should reduce injuries." But since it was stated so conclusively, I felt like I had to dispute it. Though it was a conclusion I happen to agree with, the level of evidence was one that has frequently been used against BF running. I feel like we need to be better than that. I think the writing on the site -- especially the front page -- ought to understand how strong the evidence is for a particular conclusion.

Deepest regards, stomper!

Glad to see I didn't chase you away, Stomper. ;-) I stand by what I said. I do believe stronger feet and ankles will prevent injuries, and I don't need a study to tell me so. And there surely is no harm in strenghtening the feet or any part of the body before taking up running for that matter, shod or barefoot, especially minimal. It goes back to the walk before you run advice we give.

"homo" seems to be a general catch all phrase that drive by jerk-offs like to scream out the window when they are with their buddies and see something different or they don't understand. I've gotten it and I've heard from others that have as well. It's kind of disturbing to know that some folks are conditioned to respond in sucha similar fashion. Particularly when they are driving by strangers and want to impress their buddies in the drivers seat. Or just happen to be a loud mouthed red neck in a absurdly large vehicle.

However, I must add somethinga about the walking. If done at a brisk pace with knees bent more than you would when walking with shoes, you may find it to be of benefit. But I woudn't suggest leaning on it exclusively. Like you said, just do what you can as soon as you can. Anything else is just experimentation in an effort to lessen the transition discomfort.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts