Barefoot Running Shoes Are Destroying The Bones In Your Feet

The title of the post is terrible. Some good points, many bad points. The bones are showing stress, yes, but are not being destroyed. Nobody mentions pace in these articles or studies. Sure they backed off their distance for transition, but did they adjust their pace? I had many setbacks with min-shoes and barefoot trying to keep my pace similar to my shod pace. Going barefoot in rough conditions was self regulating which is why I always recommend going completely barefoot in beginning. Time to start blaming the person and taking some responsibility for our own habits instead of blaming footwear, or lack of it, for injuries.

Don't know if I should move this to the Health forum or the Gear & Footwear forum. Hmmmm.

Reactions: dharmadan
Don't know if I should move this to the Health forum or the Gear & Footwear forum. Hmmmm.

I'm guessing everyone in this forum is very interested.

I'm guessing everyone in this forum is very interested.

That was kind of a joke. But...it really could fit in any of the three of them.

:p:)

Well, according to altra, barefoot running destroys your feet...:meh:

http://blog.altrazerodrop.com/tips/natural-foot-positioning-the-perfect-balance/
"Someone with bad joints could go do their long run barefoot and would likely have their joints feel the best theyever have…however, their feet will likely be destroyed."

I just read that blog post the day before you posted this. Good chance I'll see Golden Harper or the other Altra boys at an expo today and I'll have to ask him about this. I like Altra shoes, but they just keep getting heavier and more cushioned. Still hoping they go back and revise their original min-shoe.

Reactions: DNEchris and NickW
Gotta remember, Rick; Altra doesn't position the self as 'minimal' or 'barefoot' shoes. They claim zero drop as the benefit while maintaining cushioning and 'protection.' I read that statement from the blog (haven't read the whole post yet) as someone just striking out on a bf long run without conditioning. Which could be worse for their feet.

Now, I'm an altrarian, or altran, or you know, a guy who runs in Altras, so my perspective may be swayed. I find myself gaining *most* of the joint and impact benefits I got into BFF for without exacerbating structural challenges in my feet that made going farther than four miles bare a near impossibility.

Horses for courses and all that jazz...

Argh...won't let me edit. So it turns out I did read that entire post. I'm getting old and my memory didn't jog until I clicked the link. Either way, my assessment in my prior post stands. I believe, if pressed, the altra guys would acknowledge that a conditioned, habitual barefoot runner wouldn't risk their feet as the line in the article may seem to suggest.

Gotta remember, Rick; Altra doesn't position the self as 'minimal' or 'barefoot' shoes. They claim zero drop as the benefit while maintaining cushioning and 'protection.' I read that statement from the blog (haven't read the whole post yet) as someone just striking out on a bf long run without conditioning. Which could be worse for their feet.

Now, I'm an altrarian, or altran, or you know, a guy who runs in Altras, so my perspective may be swayed. I find myself gaining *most* of the joint and impact benefits I got into BFF for without exacerbating structural challenges in my feet that made going farther than four miles bare a near impossibility.

Horses for courses and all that jazz...

It would have been some friendly kidding (I'm an altrarian also, and a New Balancian). Turns out they sent the girl squad to the expo (wow) and I tried on the 3-sum. Nice fitting shoe, just wish the Altra soles were a little more flexible.

Reactions: Lomad
The article seemed to miss the critical point: It's not barefoot running that leads to the injuries; it’s all those years when you weren't barefoot.

Every “starting barefoot” piece of advice I ever read emphasizes the importance of transitioning back to barefoot slowly and cautiously. Injury comes from the years of atrophy and improper form from wearing shoes, which is why nearly everyone recommends starting full barefoot even if you intend to be minimalist. Your bare feet give you that all important feedback so you know when to ratchet it back some.

And if you don’t listen to what your feet are telling you, well, I think most of us have experience that at some level,

The article seemed to miss the critical point: It's not barefoot running that leads to the injuries; it’s all those years when you weren't barefoot.

Every “starting barefoot” piece of advice I ever read emphasizes the importance of transitioning back to barefoot slowly and cautiously. Injury comes from the years of atrophy and improper form from wearing shoes, which is why nearly everyone recommends starting full barefoot even if you intend to be minimalist. Your bare feet give you that all important feedback so you know when to ratchet it back some.

And if you don’t listen to what your feet are telling you, well, I think most of us have experience that at some level,
Perfectly stated, Woodsman. Our bones, tendons, muscles, etc., are weak from encasing them in casts for years and years, and when we first start going barefoot, but especially in minshoes, those weaknesses become exposed. People don't understand that it takes time to strengthen the foot from its weakened state.

Reactions: dharmadan
Craig Payne, the researcher, did a very thoughtful writeup.
http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/bone-injury-and-the-transition-to-minimalist-running/

He also recommend a longer transition period.
10 weeks is probably too short in general and for many people they probably should be expecting more time than that. I often advise people to take up to a year. If you can do it quicker, then fine. Despite my age and body weight, I was able to do it in less than a couple of months! It is going to be very individual.
Since all of the injured were women, this make me wonder if the study did bone density scans before the study. MRIs are not typically used to determine bone density.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I'm a fan of the thinner Altra shoes for trail running like the Samson...Golden and the other Altra people know the real deal about barefooting, if there something negative than its marketing BS. They sold the company awhile back so who knows who is running the marketing now.

Craig Payne, the researcher, did a very thoughtful writeup.
http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/bone-injury-and-the-transition-to-minimalist-running/

He also recommend a longer transition period.
Since all of the injured were women, this make me wonder if the study did bone density scans before the study. MRIs are not typically used to determine bone density.
Is that study in a thread in our Studies forum, Sid? If not, can you add it there for me? I only ask you because you are the most up-to-date with that forum; not trying to be a pain in your hiney. I plan to expand our knowledge base. Thanks!