Barefoot Run Around the Ponds in Nampa, Idaho

WilsonPonds.jpg
Barefoot Run Around the Ponds in Nampa, Idaho
By Dirty Bird

It was a great adventure being around others running on pure skin. Being able to see their stride and flow of barefoot running from other well seasoned runners was a great re-inforcer that I was on the right track.

Wilson ponds turned out to be a great place to run. The scenery was sensational. Lots of people and nature out enjoying the wonderful weather. Oddly, I never did catch a single person reeling in a fish, hmmmm. The pavement, all though smooth, was a lot courser than I was used to running on for long periods of time. Mother nature also managed to toss in some flavor of her own with these wonderful trees that loved to drop pea sized seeds on the path. One was very lucky to be able to get through those obstacles without having to brush the seeds off the bottom of your soles. Those seeds seem to hang on tighter than the small rocks would. After 4 miles of circles, I was pretty well convinced that I wasn't going to be able to muster up the will power to continue forward with my normal mileage. But then someone mentioned that we needed to run at least an hour, so I pushed forward and found my second wind and my running started to flow with ease. I don't know if it became easier because I was without my shoes again or if it was all do to the protein I was taking in from the back side of the ponds. The back side of the ponds offered up a buffet of bugs. I tried holding my breath and only breathing in emergency situations during this portion of the course. That proved futile, one needs to breath while running. So a few managed to slip in and one even tried to cloud my vision by landing on my eyeball... That was the second obstacle that mother nature gifted us with during this wonderful adventure. It's good to experience that kind of adversity during a run. It showed my how fortunate I am to have very very very user friendly sidewalk to run on barefoot in Meridian.

It was great to meet everyone in the HappySongBird family. Thanks for putting on this event.

Most of my running completed in Vibram Five Finger. Started running bare after the Great Potato Race and quickly migrated over to Shamma Huaraches Sandals. Trying to maintain half marathon training runs.
View all 1 featured items