Barefoot on the Beach - any tips?

Brand new here, but I've been running in VFF's on asphalt, concrete, and dirt for several years now, and figured a good place to run with my feet truly nekked would be a hard, wet-sand beach with a gentle slope.

Is my reasoning OK here? I've always heard that running barefoot on the beach will rip up your calves, but I'm assuming it's the barefoot and not the beach that does most of the ripping. Just coming off of a strained calf, so I don't want to mess up my recovery, but the beach is calling... calling...

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

I would avoid running in the deep sand, since you are still developing your calf muscles to the new way of running. If you have to run on the sand, run along the water's edge where it's more packed.

As TJ said, go for the water's edge. Running on soft sand can be frustrating because you waste a lot of energy "deforming" the sand, hence it slows down you a lot.
Once on the edge, the only problem might be having to run on an inclined plane, so you won't be stepping on a perfectly leveled surface.
Also, if you go early in the morning during the winter you'd be surprised to know how cold the sand can get overnight.
Cheers!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Even hard sand can allow you to use bad form where asphalt and concrete are not as forgiving. Grass is the same thing. I would spend time learning to run on asphalt and concrete and then run on the beach as a treat. Barefoot Bob Saxton wrote about this in his book and I have to say I would agree with him.

Even hard sand can allow you to use bad form where asphalt and concrete are not as forgiving. Grass is the same thing. I would spend time learning to run on asphalt and concrete and then run on the beach as a treat. Barefoot Bob Saxton wrote about this in his book and I have to say I would agree with him.
But this kind of sand is actually good at telling you if you are running poorly or properly. Run across a patch of it. Stop. Turn around. Look. If you see uneven impressions, then you know your gait is wrong.

I agree with Wayne (since I wrote the book)... but also TJ, since I also teach that you can look at your footprints as a form of feedback (that might be in my book too - maybe I should read it again someday). Feedback from footprints is not as immediate as the sensation of running on a hard, rough surface, but it can help, if you play around for short bits, and monitor improvement in your footprints as you experiment.

I think all surfaces are good for teaching some sort of lesson.

On hard surfaces like concrete and asphalt, we can learn through repetition how to place our feet and how much weight to place over our feet and how to distribute that weight.

On sand, we can see our progress.

On grass, we can learn there are hidden dangers. Not a lesson I want.

And like Ken Bob's favorite for beginners, the jagged rocks will teach you best to run gently.

Reactions: KTR
I'm a big fan of checking out my footprints in the beach to see form. It's especially easy to do if you're running at low tide on some freshly smoothed sand near the water line. But do watch where you step - I was reminded of that when I ran past a dead burrfish this weekend. Pretty sure that would have hurt to step on!

I have NJ beaches as my nearest opportunity to beach run and have learned mostly that I HATE running on sand. Maybe it's just NJ beach sand which is very fluffy and does a lot of that "deformation." Maybe I just much prefer the long flat asphalt of Island Beach State Park and it's movie star foxes (the vulpine, furry ones.) I'll stick to the hard stuff and leave the beach running for my fishing days.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and KTR
Soft sand may not give us immediate feedback for improving our technique, but it does provide a lot of work! In case anyone wants to work hard while running - ie: maybe you're preparing for a hilly race, but don't have any hills nearby.

If you want to make running in the sand easier, be sure NOT to push your feet into the sand. DO lift your feet. DO use your entire sole (more surface area, less sinking in).

Most importantly, of course, HAVE FUN!!!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and KTR