Barefoot & Minimalist Shoes

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by LeslieP, Feb 21, 2014.

1. LeslieP Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi,
    I'm a new member, Leslie Padorr and I own the online store cooleastmarket.com and the physical store Cool East Market in Toronto. With so many people coming to my store to buy barefoot shoes, I realized I needed to find out more about BFR and this seems to be the best place to find out real people's experiences. So I'm hoping to learn a lot from you all. :)

One thing I've noticed is that people have VERY strong opinions about their feet and their shoes. The other thing I've noticed is that our feet are ALL so different so it seems what works for one person might not for someone else. We see this a lot with the 5-toe Shoes. Some customers put them on and immediately feel an improvement in their alignment. Others find that the shape of the shoe just doesn't work for their feet.

I hope you won't mind me telling you about our Minimal and Barefoot Shoes. I'll just introduce the products this once and let you know later on if we have any specials or new styles. I promise not to be a nuisance. :angelic:

So far we are the only store in Canada to offier the Kigo minimalist shoes and the Xero Shoes huarache kits and the Sensori Venture "barefoot shoes." The prices are the same but it's a better deal for Canadian shoppers because shipping is cheaper and faster. Also we have free shipping for orders over $45. Here's the site if you want to have a look:
    http://cooleastmarket.com/collections/barefoot-shoes

Thanks a lot for this group, I'm really looking forward to getting to know you.
    Happy Feet,
    Leslie Padorr
    cooleastmarket.com

2. Henry Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada

Message Count:
    Hi Leslie,
    Welcome to Barefoot Runners Society, Its great to know we have a store in Toronto which sells real footwear. Looking forward to visiting your store soon.
  3. Barefoot Ken Bob Chapter Presidents
    1. California -...

Message Count:
    Many of us, even those of us who are often accused of being purists (despite that I put flip-flops on to shop at Home Depot), don't mind people selling shoes (I even sold shoes myself when I was working my way through junior college).

What we dislike is some of the marketing techniques, like when someone selling shoes insists on using phrases like "these are exactly like being barefoot, except better!"

What they believe is better, is that the shoes protect the wearer from the "discomfort" of being barefoot, when it's that discomfort that lets us know when we're not running as gently as necessary to prevent long-term injuries.

Welcome to the group, and don't make ridiculous promises about what miracles your shoes will do, and most of us will be happy.

Have fun,
    -Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton

4. LeslieP Barefooters

Message Count:
    Thanks for the welcome, Henry, and the warning, Ken. Don't worry, I don't know enough about it to be so sure of anything. The shoes are here and you folks will let me know how they work and don't work for you.
    Happy Feet,
    Leslie
    cooleastmarket.com

5. LeslieP Barefooters

Message Count:
    Thanks for the welcome, Henry, and the warning, Ken. Don't worry, I don't know enough about it to be so sure of anything. The shoes are here and you folks will let me know how they work and don't work for you.
    Happy Feet,
    Leslie
    cooleastmarket.com

6. Barefooting Bob Administrator
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I would also like to extend a big welcome and a thankyou for your interest in learning the proper way to promote minimalist running within your store. As Ken Bob mentioned, our biggest issue is when a store tries to sell something they know nothing about (just to get the sale) and they end up either hurting the individual that purchased the product or they end up having a bad experience and lose out on the great experience that could potentially work towards barefoot running. Everybody is very different when it comes to running and not every medium works for everybody, nor can you jump into something different and expect to continue to do what you were doing before. I have seen to many very experienced runners think they can just go from a cushioned running shoe to a minimalist shoe and run a marathon. Nope, not going to happen, just like anything else you have to build yourself up to it.

Please do ask questions, and do not be afraid to post in the main forum as well, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site that can ensure that your questions are answered right.

Thanks for bringing in the Xero's to Canada, I might just need to pick up a pair.

dutchie53 likes this.
  7. Barefoot Ken Bob Chapter Presidents
    1. California -...

Message Count:
    I'm far more trusting of those who know they don't know it all, than those who believe they do.

dutchie53 likes this.
  8. Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada

Message Count:
    Welcome to the forum Leslie. I own Kigos and Xero's. The Xeros are my go to everyday footwear (only indoors in the winter). Post any question about the products and we'll give up an answer. Again - thanks for bringing both to Canada. Shipping will be a lot cheaper now,

PS
    I've had my Kigos now for 3+ yrs. Great footwear. Only issue is a small hole developing in the upper material at the toe. Nothing a little tape can't fix.
    Xeros are very comfortable. No stinky smell. Not so good on ice.

LeslieP and dutchie53 like this.