Barefoot hiking?

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
I may have mentioned this before not sure? I know it's not running but does anyone ever hike barefoot?

I think it is the most amazing feeling and really awesome. Taking in the scenery is one thing, but when you can feel your surroundings along with it, it's so much better. I love the feel of pine needles and leaves along with the dirt and the different temps along the hike. The rocks are fun to manuever through along with the logs and big branches. The feeling of walking through the streams, and moss and climbing all over natural terrain is just awesome in all ways!

Just thought I would share! ;)

Yup!  I started this spring,

Yup! I started this spring, after running barefoot for about six months. It never would have occurred to me to hike barefoot! I usually do take footwear in my pack, though, because on a couple of occasions, I have had to put it on. (Prickers, LOTS of glass).

I had an AWESOME 3 mile hike

I had an AWESOME 3 mile hike through the forest (that's woods for all you Southerners!) with my family last summer. It was sensational. I really enjoyed all the different feels I got from the decaying leaves, moss, pine needles, gravel, wood bark piles, on and on. I had to describe everything I was feeling to my family, since they wouldn't take their shoes off. ;-)

YES!!!! I went for a barefoot

YES!!!! I went for a barefoot hike a couple weeks ago, and it was AMAZING!!!! I posted a whole long thing about it on Ken Bob's site, and I've been considering copying it over into a blog here. The only problem is it made me realize how rediculously boring asphalt is, and even the trails I can find in town are really just dirt and a few rocks. Nothing like the mountains I was hiking in. Its like you've had nothing to drink but water you whole life, then you get a fruit smoothie, and after that its back to water again. I miss the variety! That one hike has me dead set on living somewhere in the mountains later in my life. I don't think I'd ever consider hiking in any type of shoes again after that experience either. (I started off in huaraches, not nearly as fun.) I mean I've always liked hiking, but barefoot hiking was a life changing experience.

BF hiking is great.I feel

BF hiking is great.

I feel like I am actually in nature rather than on it... if that makes any sense.

I did a lot of hiking on my recent vacation to MN... and except for kicking far too many rocks I enjoyed every moment.

S. Pimp.

Danjo wrote: That one hike

Danjo said:
That one hike has me dead set on living somewhere in the mountains later in my life. I don't think I'd ever consider hiking in any type of shoes again after that experience either.

I live in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee, the trails here are awesome, part of Appalachian trails runs through not far from where I live. Since it borders Va, and N.C. I have those trails too. I started bf hiking last year and never wore shoes on trails since. I really love it! ;)

Who are those sisters that

Who are those sisters that hike barefoot everywhere, Board?

My BIL hiked the whole Appalachian trail...not barefoot though. Still very cool.

my buddy and I are gearing

my buddy and I are gearing up for a 40 mile stretch on the A.T. late october....we plan on running it though (with interspersed walking/hiking) in one day....I will be barefoot, but bring my hurraches to quell my buddy's concern ;-) We're doing the Harpers Ferry to Caledonia section, 4 states, 40 miles :).

Nate, That sounds really

Nate, That sounds really awesome. I hope you will take a few pictures and post your story here. I'm nowhere near running 40 miles on a trail but I would love to do something like that, just slower and shorter.

Hey Sloutre,It will be a

Hey Sloutre,

It will be a new experience for both of us....I HOPE to be able to do it....the "plan" is to drop a car off at caledonia....drop the ladies off at Pine Grove with the pups, camping gear, etc...and drive to Harpers....Pine Grove is the half-way point...we'll have some other friends doing the first 20 with us back up to pine grove, have lunch, then my buddy and I will "attempt" the next 20 :)...take the car back down and eat, drink, and crash :-D.

I know I can do 20, it's the back half that will be interesting!

NakedSoleNate wrote: my

NakedSoleNate said:
my buddy and I are gearing up for a 40 mile stretch on the A.T. late october....we plan on running it though (with interspersed walking/hiking) in one day....I will be barefoot, but bring my hurraches to quell my buddy's concern ;-) We're doing the Harpers Ferry to Caledonia section, 4 states, 40 miles :).

I love trail running barefoot, but I am no where close to 40 or 20 miles yet :(. Maybe one day.

Yes, please post and share

Yes, please post and share your adventure with the rest of us. Pictures too!

I will....timing is the

I will....timing is the second to last, or last weekend of October :)...most likely the second to last...

NakedSoleNate wrote: I

NakedSoleNate said:
I will....timing is the second to last, or last weekend of October :)...most likely the second to last...

I really admire the trail running thing barefoot. I am focusing more on trails more than anything. The trails feel the best with my barefeet. I love them. Good luck and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Who are

Barefoot TJ said:
Who are those sisters that hike barefoot everywhere, Board?

My BIL hiked the whole Appalachian trail...not barefoot though. Still very cool.

Lucy (isis) and Susan (jackrabbit) were the two who hiked the whole A.T. up and back in both directions all barefoot!

Those two are fantastic, and

Those two are fantastic, and it's great they did it as sisters too. I would love to be able to hike around with my sisters again.

I love trail running

I love trail running Nature...nothing like it...so much sensory input, feeling of being just another animal in it's evolutionary environment!!