Bareflexx Sandals Review

bfsailor

Barefooters
Feb 7, 2012
Erie, PA
Okay, last month I won the Bareflexx Sandals giveaway (Woo-hoo!!) so here is my review.

First, two disclaimers:
1. I have never worn or tried any other type of "huarache" style sandals - these are my first.

2. I have not run in these. I have been a totally barefoot runner for almost fourteen years, including running in snow, so I really do not intend to run in them - I wanted to try them as an alternative to flip-flops as minimal footwear for everyday use. (I may try running in them just for the hell of it - if so I will post an amended review).

I have given them a pretty good walking workout over the last few weeks though under a variety of conditions, and I have to say that I really like them.
The Bareflexx sandal uses an elastic cord type of lacing which was pre-installed when I got them in the mail. The laces had plenty of extra length to allow for custom adjusments. The ends of the laces are secured by a single cord-lock (see photo), rather than being tied.
Once I got the laces adjusted to where they were comfortably snug, I tied a stopper knot and trimmed the ends. They fit nicely and the elastic laces were very comfortable.

Bareflexx top.jpg

The coolest thing about these sandals is the sole - I opted for the 2mm (!) Vibram soles, which are extremely flexible and give tremendous ground feel. Here they are flat on the ground:

Bareflexx side.jpg

And here they are with my foot slightly flexed:

Bareflexx flexed.jpg

One thing I like about the Bareflexx is that they are almost as easy to slip on and off as flip-flops.
You just have to pull the elastic ankle strap into place after sliding your foot in.
Once they're on they stay in place pretty well. I had to re-adjust the laces a few times after walking to keep them from sliding around - I recommend leaving extra lace length until you're sure you've got them "broken in".

The first week I wore them I was travelling on business, and wore them through several airports, including long walks between gates a couple of times. (One TSA worker was pretty curious about them - he thought they were great). I also wore them on a recent vacation to Vermont where my wife and I did a lot of walking. In fact, these were the only shoes I packed for the 5-day trip. Normally in these situations I would probably go barefoot or wear flip-flops, but I wanted to try out the Bareflexx. I was very impressed with how comfortable they were, even when walking quickly and carrying a heavy bag through the airport. Also, when I wanted to slip them off and just go barefoot, they folded up and would fit in my back jeans pocket - something I could never do with even the thinnest of flip-flops.

Bottom line:

I generally go barefoot as much as possible, but when I need to put on shoes, these are definitely a great choice.

Pros:
  • Extremely thin soles - great ground feel
  • Easy to put on and take off
  • Stay in place
  • No laces to tie
  • Adjustable using cord-lock
  • Cool look!
Cons:
  • Elastic laces feel snug after a while if kept tight enough to hold in place (minor, and coming from somebody who's almost always barefoot - anything on my feet feels snug after a while)
  • Takes a while to adjust laces properly (but once adjusted they seem to stay put)

Thanks, this is a great review!
However I still have some questions:) :
The pair you're wearing: are they made specifically for your feet or did you have to choose a size (on the photo they look somewhat smaller than your feet)?
What kind of tread do they have? Do they have any grip say in humid conditions?
What kind of fixation is used between the first and second toe? If it's a knot, as with most homemade huaraches, do you feel it?
In some places, it looks like the elastic cord is held together with some form of tape: Does it chafe? Can it partially come off after some wear and tear and possibly chafe then, if for the moment all is well?
Does the stopper chafe?

Good questions!
1. They are not "custom made" for me. I ordered by shoe size (US 10.5). They do look a little short in the pictures, but I actually like them just fine as they are. I wouldn't want them much bigger. I suppose you could order a little larger and trim them for a custom fit.

2. There is no "tread" per se, the soles being only 2mm thick. The bottom surface, however, has a kind of rough feel to it, like medium grit sandpaper. Just last night I walked about a mile in them on wet pavement in a light rain and felt like they had very good traction. Much better than any flip-flop soles I've seen. I haven't tried them on wet trails, though.

3. The part between the toes is looped through a rubber tab which is apparently heat sealed to the top of the sole. There is no knot, and nothing under your toes to feel. That's another thing I like about these. I will post a photo of the attachment point when I get a chance.

4. It's not tape - more like rubber bands, possibly heat shrink tubing. There are no edges and I did not notice any chafing.

5. I didn't notice any chafing from the cord-lock - it seemed to stay in place and not rub at all once I got it adjusted right.

Reactions: Hobbit
I love wearing huaraches for everything,but I hate lacing or adjusting anything. The ability to slip on/off is enough to get me interested.
I will be curious to see how they wear.
My wokova sandals are made with cordura and rubber. After a few months of regular wear, for running, walking, whatever, the fabric is worn and scruffy,but the soles are hardly used. I assume I will have the tops "redone" at some point.
How do you feel the elastic/rubber bits on top are doing with wear and cleaning?

As far as wear goes, I've only had them about six weeks so I can't say for sure. The elastic seems pretty heavy duty though. So far the soles and the elastic straps look the same as the day I got them, and I've walked in them quite a bit. I've also slipped them on and off a lot and the elastic still seems as good as new.

On the shipping issue - I live in Pennsylvania. I received the sandals via US mail (in a padded envelope) less than 2 weeks after sending an e-mail with my size and color preferences.

Reactions: scedastic
Good questions!
1. They are not "custom made" for me. I ordered by shoe size (US 10.5). They do look a little short in the pictures, but I actually like them just fine as they are. I wouldn't want them much bigger. I suppose you could order a little larger and trim them for a custom fit.

Looks interesting... Could you measure the length from back of the sole to the between toes lace? That gives some idea what size to order, my toes are probably bit longer than average, so whloe sole length is not good.

If you order these online there is an option for custom sizing.
This picture should give you a good idea of the standard sizing - these are size 10.5 (US)

The second picture below is a close-up of the toe-loop attachment (no knot).

Bareflexx-measure.jpg

Bareflexx-toe loop.jpg

Reactions: Hobbit