Bacteria question

Mikkel

Barefooters
Feb 2, 2012
Denmark
Which holds the most bacteria, the barefoot or the shoe after a day's walk?
I noticed when taking a picture of my bare feet after walking a whole day in Rome that they were VERY dirty. When looking at the sole of my wife's shoes they don't seem at all that dirty.

That's easy. Shoes contain more bacteria than your aired-out bare soles.

I've talked in the past with one of our infectious disease doctors about this, and bacteria in general. Here's some of the things I learned First off, bacteria exists on 99.9% of all surfaces. Things completely devoid of bacteria are things like sterile instruments, urine, and inside most of the innards of animals. Bacteria is constantly finding ways into your bloodstream but your immune system takes care of it before it can do anything or penetrate much deeper than the micro injury that let it in. Brushing you teeth, or scratching you skin are ways this happens. In the rare instances where one's immunity is down the bacteria may flourish a little more and may cause mild symptoms. That is called bacteremia. If the bacteria gets really out of hand and the symptoms progress then full blown sepsis may ensue. Expose to trace amounts of bacteria and viruses is a good thing because it keeps one's immune system on its toes. Harmless bacteria may live on your skin and in your nose along with pathogenic bacteria (MRSA loves to colonize in the nares). Pathogenic bacteria, such as e coli and c diff live in our guts in total harmony, kept in check by the other "good" bacteria. However, if that e coli finds its way into the urinary system, it's a big nasty infection. Likewise, many antibiotics will kill the "good" bacteria in the gut and allow the c diff to flourish -- another big nasty mucus-y diarrhea infused infection, bleck! Tetanus is abundant on dirt and rocks, but has to penetrate deep into the system to be a real threat. That's why it is taken seriously with deep cuts or punctures.

A more interesting experiment would be to culture the bottoms of one's shoes along with the soles of one's feet and see what grows. At times, I'd bet the shoes had more bacteria than the feet and visa versa at other times. Your system is constantly changing. Sometimes those changes make it more hospitable for bacteria to set up shop and sometimes the changes prevent bacterial growth. The ID doc did say I should keep up to date on my tetanus shot, but being barefoot exposes you to a lot, which will keep your immune system more responsive; and that is a good thing.

One other thing, exposure to new bacteria is harder on the system since your immunity has no prior experience with it. That may potentially make it easier for the bacteria to gain the upper hand, especially if the immune system has taken a hit. That is why we are more prone to getting sick while traveling. The stress of traveling knocks immunity back and going to a new area may expose you to new things (like ebola virus :-( ).

I've talked in the past with one of our infectious disease doctors about this, and bacteria in general. Here's some of the things I learned First off, bacteria exists on 99.9% of all surfaces. Things completely devoid of bacteria are things like sterile instruments, urine, and inside most of the innards of animals. Bacteria is constantly finding ways into your bloodstream but your immune system takes care of it before it can do anything or penetrate much deeper than the micro injury that let it in. Brushing you teeth, or scratching you skin are ways this happens. In the rare instances where one's immunity is down the bacteria may flourish a little more and may cause mild symptoms. That is called bacteremia. If the bacteria gets really out of hand and the symptoms progress then full blown sepsis may ensue. Expose to trace amounts of bacteria and viruses is a good thing because it keeps one's immune system on its toes. Harmless bacteria may live on your skin and in your nose along with pathogenic bacteria (MRSA loves to colonize in the nares). Pathogenic bacteria, such as e coli and c diff live in our guts in total harmony, kept in check by the other "good" bacteria. However, if that e coli finds its way into the urinary system, it's a big nasty infection. Likewise, many antibiotics will kill the "good" bacteria in the gut and allow the c diff to flourish -- another big nasty mucus-y diarrhea infused infection, bleck! Tetanus is abundant on dirt and rocks, but has to penetrate deep into the system to be a real threat. That's why it is taken seriously with deep cuts or punctures.

A more interesting experiment would be to culture the bottoms of one's shoes along with the soles of one's feet and see what grows. At times, I'd bet the shoes had more bacteria than the feet and visa versa at other times. Your system is constantly changing. Sometimes those changes make it more hospitable for bacteria to set up shop and sometimes the changes prevent bacterial growth. The ID doc did say I should keep up to date on my tetanus shot, but being barefoot exposes you to a lot, which will keep your immune system more responsive; and that is a good thing.

One other thing, exposure to new bacteria is harder on the system since your immunity has no prior experience with it. That may potentially make it easier for the bacteria to gain the upper hand, especially if the immune system has taken a hit. That is why we are more prone to getting sick while traveling. The stress of traveling knocks immunity back and going to a new area may expose you to new things (like ebola virus :-( ).

Thank you for your input, SI!

Reactions: Bare Lee