Back of heel pain

Ronnie B

Barefooters
Feb 2, 2012
Bermuda
When I rise from bed in the morning, as I put pressure on my left fore foot - I get a pulling sensation and pain at the back of my heel. I have to walk down a couple of flights of steps to get to my front door and each time I put pressure on the left forefoot - same thing happens. It does get quite painful. As I walk along the flat - same thing but only for a short distance. Once I have walked a short distance and then start running - it completely disappears. Next morning - same thing. It doesn't stop me running - but I look awkward as heck trying to get down the steps hanging onto the rail and the wall trying not to put less pressure on the left forefoot! Thanks for your help.

Ronnie this is classic Plantar Fasciosis. need to have someone assess if you have an area of tightness and/or weakness in the calf/ankle/foot. even without assessment just doing some "foot pumps" before you rise will get the fascia gliding again. when you rest it becomes like a rats nest and then the step really irritates it. after moving a bit the fascia glides well and pain gone.

hope this helps

Mark

Reactions: Sid
Thanks so much for that. Have not been running at all since I posted the question - virus/bronchitis combo really kicked my butt for a couple of weeks - but did notice the tugging sensation and pain went away. I plan to start running again tomorrow - building up slowly. Will try the foot pumps.

Thanks again - much appreciated.