At least I got 6 years in......

Back in September I started this threat when my GP, a sports doctor and a physiotherapist all told me to stop running - citing particularly a bad right knee and that any further running would result in severe pain and ultimately needing knee replacement surgery.

I even called myself the barefoot walker when Nero and I wished everyone at BFRS Merry Christmas and Happy New Year just over a week ago.

What a difference 3 months (and a week!) make!

Sadly my GP passed away suddenly and I had to go to a locum to obtain a flu shot. He had my file out and went over it with me after the flu shot. He surprised me by asking what I was doing about my knee. I said - nothing - based on the advice I had been given by the 3 medical personnel 3 months earlier. He was surprised to hear that I had not seen an orthopedic surgeon - and he surprised me by saying I should go and see one because "they are the folks who live and breathe this stuff every day - and are best suited to give advice on whether any further treatment was warranted - or not."

So off I went - and the OS had my MIR's and XRays displayed. He pushed, prodded, poked and twisted my knee - then said that for my age and genetics - nothing really bad there....and that if I liked running to keep my weight down and to promote healthy heart, lungs etc. = then I should run again!! After I picked myself off the floor - I said - OK but Doc I am a BF runner - had transitioned 4 or 5 years ago - without so much as a blister - and my knee problems began after I started running on the roads following the hurricanes of 2014 that destroyed my normal running trail - does that make you change your opinion?

He then re-floored me by stating he too was a barefoot runner and encouraged me to run barefoot again! He warned me to start slow (sound familiar??) and build up to 2 miles over the next 3 months and see him again at the end of March but contact him immediately if I start to experience burning and swelling in the knee area again. I couldn't fit my smile out the office door when I left!! The best Christmas present I got this year!!

Soo - my buddy Nero and I had a couple of short sessions 4 days ago - maybe a quarter mile running over our two mile walking route and then did about 1/2 mile in stints along our old trail this morning. The calves are a little sore but the knee has been great - no extra soreness there. I make sure I do the stabilization exercises.

The OS said he does not officially endorse BF running - not enough medical evidence to be conclusive enough for him to state publicly - but where he has patients who have transitioned - provided they have done so correctly and successfully - he encourages it. So I enter into 2016 full of hope that it will work out well and I can begin calling myself a BF runner again. I will let you know how I get on. Have a Happy New Year everyone!!

Reactions: Ronnie B
Awesome! :barefoot:

Reactions: Ronnie B