A thread for DUH! moments

While at the dermatologist yesterday I had him zap a plantar wart for me. I've been treating it so it was pretty flat and small, but finishing it off with the nitrogen seemed like a good idea. I went home and ran 5 miles in VFFs with socks. It hurt a little, but not enough to be a show stopper.

So today it was all dried up and looked pretty good so I went ahead and ran barefoot. DUH!!!

th_Srunning018.jpg
and this is what it looks like now. Didn't hurt while I was running!

The peeling skin above is the result of scorching my feel a couple of weeks ago on really hot pavement. No raw skin, just flaky looking :)

Do you think it's infected?

Do you think it's infected?

Ouchie to the both of

Ouchie to the both of you.

BFWillie_g, when I was little my grandparents lived on property with a lake. Summers here can easily reach temps of 120 or so. There was a wide expanse of dirt and rock between the house and the lake. We used to take off at a barefoot run in order to get to the lake before our feet melted. I remember one time I just couldn't run fast enough to beat the heat. I tried stopping at these little tufts of grass and standing on one foot to help but it didn't do much good. I was in a panic by the time I reached the lake and jumped in. Within seconds of hitting the cool water I had huge blisters on the bottoms of my feet. I don't even remember how I got back to the house but I do remember my grandmother scolding us for not wearing our shoes when it was that hot out. Your story reminded me of that time. lol

huh, it looks like a blood

huh, it looks like a blood blister - keep us posted, so we know what not to do next time :)

Speaking of DUH - I decided to try out running BF on pavement in the heat yesterday. It was 88° in the shade (yep, it gets that hot here, too) and I dunno how hot directly in the sun. No wind and I ran on backroads with no shade anywhere, at 3pm, and wanted to get 45 minutes in.

So, I ran 22.5 minutes in one direction, then turned around for home. It was nice, for the first ten minutes or so. I was laughing and smiling (trying hard to remember that rule), and skipping along, visions of Polynesian fire-walkers swimming before my inner eye. Because that's what it felt like :evil:

About 2 minutes before the switchback, I thought I'd stepped on something soft and puffy. But there was nothing soft nor puffy to step on, not on that road. At the switch, I checked my left foot and of course it was a blister, front of the arch on the inside. And I was roughly 2.25 miles from home. And it was getting hotter. And I had no backup sandals or socks. And my daughter was waiting for me, I had to be home on time.

So off I went... with every step, I felt the puffy thing get puffier and kept waiting for it to get suddenly wetter. With every step, I felt the blazing heat under my feet. The blister felt like a whoopee cushion under my foot by the time I got home.

But the point of DUH is to emerge from the experience a little smater, or a little less dummer, anyway.

I learned why some of you like those white lines so much! The 2° difference in temp means a lot.

I learned that smooth pavement is hotter than rough chipseal, but the rough stuff feels super terrible when the soles of your feet are begining to melt. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I learned to bring socks or Huaraches with me.

I learned to run TEN MINUTES next time and then turn around, and just do it twice.

I learned that, actually, heat blisters are really not that bad after all, they pop nicely and aren't in the same category as blood blisters.

I learned not to do stupid experiments two days before running a Half-Marathon. But then, that's kind of Bart Simpson moment for me - I seem to screw something up before most races.

Aloha :shy:

Ah, thanks for that, Willie. 

Ah, thanks for that, Willie. I needed a good laugh! Whoopee cushions? Did they make that terrific noise too?

Now why is that?

Now why is that?

well, I was struggling to

well, I was struggling to come up with something to compare it to and I thought, "What would make TJ laugh while relaying the image accurately?". Whoopee Cushion came to me in a spark!

Whoopee Cushions make everybody laugh, I know, but you inspired this one, girl :D

Great, thanks. 

Great, thanks. :)

Ouch, Willie!  Glad you

Ouch, Willie! Glad you made it home. I scorched mine pretty good a couple of weeks ago, but not quite to blistering.

TJ, it wasn't infected, just that it was frozen and then I irritated it with running so it puffed up. I finally drained it and found it had a touch of blood in it, but not too much and it has stayed dried today. The skin is loose over it so I'll keep to VFFs for a few more days to make sure the skin underneath is ready of the old skin comes off on a run.

Cali, I remember blistering my feet running across the sand from the snack bar back to our beach towels, the sun is HOT in So.Cal! Where was the lake? My sister lives on a man made lake outside of Barstow, hot hot hot!

BFWendyBird wrote:Where was

BFWendyBird said:
Where was the lake? My sister lives on a man made lake outside of Barstow, hot hot hot!

youch, was CaliGirl talking about the Barstow area? I spent an August in Barstow with the Army that left permanent impressions on my mind - hot ones.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS