A thorough and thoughtful critique of BFR

You guys obviously don't know the great feeling of power you have when speaking like an expert on a subject you have no clue about nor will ever. It's great. I highly recommend you start doing it.

Reactions: Sly, Josh16 and Sid
Huh, that's weird. I just checked the link and my post was public. It's right above Mike Cloud's.
Somehow, I still can't see it. :confused: It says 1 comment and it's Mike Cloud's. Maybe the issue is on my hand. I tried on my iphone and it didn't work either.

Somehow, I still can't see it. :confused: It says 1 comment and it's Mike Cloud's. Maybe the issue is on my hand. I tried on my iphone and it didn't work either.

Here's a copy and paste of it.

I . . . can't . . . not . . . post something . . . after reading . . . this . . . insolence . . .

First, I second Mr Cloud's post, YOU, Mr Lindsay, are spouting nonsense. Time for a lesson. I've been a runner for 25 years. 24.7 of those years I ran shod. During the last 10 years I ran in steadily increasing pain and often questioned my ability or desire to continue. I honestly had the thought that I would retire to bike riding since it seemed to be gentler on the joints. I love bike riding and am not trying to insult bike riders, it's just that I really did feel better bike riding compared to running. Then, about 4 months ago, I sought a change to allow me run pain free (I couldn't take the thought of giving up running). That journey led me to barefoot running. After much research, I returned to the infancy of running and had to reteach myself how to move softer faster with less effort. I now run as fast, or faster than I did shod!!!! I've gone over 12 miles barefoot without as much as a blister, not too bad for only doing it for 4 months, eh? I also run with maybe 10% of the pain/fatigue that I used to. You see, Mr Lindsay, it is all about TECHNIQUE. You must first strengthen key muscle groups and train them to fire in the right sequence as you move. Then you must retrain yourself how to move (shorter stride, increased cadence, forefoot landing, etc). Now I get sick of coming behind people and accidentally scaring them as I pass them because they can't hear me coming. Sometimes they jump my way in confusion, it's annoying. Once you master how you move then it doesn't matter if you go barefoot or use minimalist shoes because it is your TECHNIQUE that keeps your joints and muscles safe. I find I can't do things properly in standard running shoes because the stiff arch support and cushion forcibly disengage those key muscle groups and the narrow toe box/tall midsole throws off my balance. I occasionally see glass and guess how I deal with it . . . I dodge it! It wouldn't surprise me if I have landed on a peice a time or two but my stride creates so little friction as my foot is on the ground that there wouldn't be enough shearing force for it to cut me. My foot simply would land straight down on it and lift straight up off of it. I got into barefoot running not to stand out or be the cool kid on the block, but rather as a way to continue to do what I love for many years to come. It has worked wonders for me, so please think of my experience the next time you write an article bashing something you don't understand. Fear and ignorance are the enemy not concrete and naked skin. Good day!

Whew! Good on ya S I BF!

I couldn't possibly have written a better riposte myself, though my experience coincides with yours on all the particulars except for time in BF....and the favourable attitude toward bicycles.

Reactions: Josh16