5th Annual Winter Challenge

Isn't he in the valleys?! Do u know where I am? :p

Ermm, excuse me! I am not a Valley Boy! I'm in posh Monmouthshire don't ya know But. I will be running in Newport mind you, which is Gwent :)

Just shows where the US gets all its juju from. We're channeling mystic powers. What chance does ISIS have against US?

I like Celsius, and it's also very naturalistic. When does H2O freeze? Let's call that zero. When does it boil (at sea level)? Let's call that 100.

I didn't spend much time on that link, but it was hard to follow that guy's argument. I'll have to look at it again later.

I'm a little disappointed that YOW is cutting us some slack this year. Since he's in an indulgent mood, maybe we can interest him in some treasury bonds too, so we can print more money? I hope YOW doesn't become known as the Jimmy Carter of barefoot measurements, giving up on converting 'merikans too easily.

The frostnip/frostbite penalty is most excellent by the way. I'm also hoping it helps keep me in line. This year I'm determined to avoid all moisture below freezing.

I didn't intend for my comment to get political. :D

I get why the metric system has become so favored in this golden age of "Science and Industry;" it makes sense for sure, us evolving to possess, naturally, ten-digits on our hands, which ultimately led us to settle upon the decimal system (base ten) for most of our mathematics and record keeping (as opposed to binary, or hexadecimal or whatever else could've been used), but, I think it is rather short-sighted of us as a species.

It's really rather amazing when you appreciate the [ancient] conceptualization of a unit of measure that uncannily corresponds with units of time. It's like our ancestors were on to something a little deeper than ipads and engine tune-ups. Then again, they had the privilege of gazing up at quite a different set of stars than us, unadulterated by excess light.

Ah, sorry, I was referring to imperial units of measure. English standard units of measure.

I agree with you, Fahrenheit is a rather silly measurement system founded on trivial principles by today's standards.

Long live Emperor Celsius!

Your intro said Bristol - were you being inexact?
Duw mawr - I don't think I'd be calling Chepstow "the Valleys" :p
Ah you have read my intro. I was honest. :) Wondered if you knew me. Lol.

Driven through chepstow. It's lovely there.

What is it with me and parkrun?? The weather was going to be lovely until the clouds heard that I was running. Now this is the forecast. Warmer than before (now too warm for the challenge) and lots of rain! (Not barefooted in fain before) :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-04-06-55-54-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-04-06-55-54-1.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: DNEchris
I am off to a start in Ballwin Mo... Got down into the 30s F last night. Logged 4 miles at 41F (2 C). I forgot the bone chilling cold that the wet grass brings when you need to step off the road for cars! At least we got awhile til snow! Good luck everyone!

Hey guys - with the min temperature increased to 50 F - I MIGHT get a run in - in February!!! Woo Hoo = here's to a really cold winter. (for us that is!!!) Do you want me to prove it with a digital temperature reading photo??

I was thinking the same. Not because it doesn't get cold here though, but because I rarely can run much under 40 and the few times I did I didn't think it was really worth participating just for that lol. But not only am I determined to try a little harder barefoot in winter, but the temp limit was raised so I'm in! I might bow out below freezing but for now I am in this competition for the first time. :)

And last I checked I was in the lead! Yay! Well that probably wont last too long. :coldfeet:

Also, I get site blocked trying to get into the spreadsheet at work. :facepalm: Which is odd since the toes on the road sheet worked fine. Have to go to my computer in the basement to get to it.

Yeah, it really doesn't get too cold in Florida. I'll post my run from the 1-2 cold days a year, just for moral support.

Though, the timing of the Winter Challenge is really geared for the Northern hemisphere. What about those below the equator?

Reactions: happysongbird
Yeah, it really doesn't get too cold in Florida. I'll post my run from the 1-2 cold days a year, just for moral support.

Though, the timing of the Winter Challenge is really geared for the Northern hemisphere. What about those below the equator?

What? People down there? I thought the world was flat.