3-day hike in the Adirondack Mountains (lots of pics)

3-day hike in the Adirondack Mountains
By Tristan-OH

Finally back to the Adirondacks of Northern NY after not being able to get out at all last year. I was just dying to get out to the mountains again! Had planned a couple of trips during my recent 3 week vacation but we were rained out. And my mom ended up having to work after securing the days off. :rolleyes: So this ended up being a last minute solo hike on a narrow window of what was predicted to be a few decent weather days. I'd leave before dawn the first morning (3hr drive to the mountains), hike all day, tent that night on the trail, hike and tent the second day, and the third I'd head back home after a full day of hiking. The trip started on the 5th of July so the area was a lot more busy than usual, though with all the horror stories of how crowded the High Peaks area is during popular summer weekends I was pleasantly surprised how few I came across.​
I won't give a full account of everything as it happened or this will be way to long but I'll quickly summarize and then get to the pics!​
I'm working towards being a '46er' which means a person has climbed all of the 46 highest peaks and listed in the registry. So the mountains I hiked were ones towards that goal primarily. First day would take me up Lower WolfJaw Mountain, which is the smallest of the Great Range and one I planned to do when I did my Great Range Trip 2 years ago but ran out of time on that day. Then after coming back down into the valley below I would visit several waterfalls that where in the area as I headed across to the next range over that I would hike the next day. After setting up camp I also visited some scenic overlooks nearby. Day 2 would be to hike Mt. Colvin and Blake Peak, then hike all the way back out to the truck that evening and relocate camp over where I would hike the final day, which was the longer but scenic route up Rocky Peak Ridge.​
All went well, despite a couple wrong turns and bad choices. Hiked barefoot on all the trails on all the mountains except the short road walk back to my truck across private land on day two. It was sand/gravel and barefootable just was trying to save my worn down soles for a seemingly long final day. And make me feel better about lugging my Unshoes along the whole way.​
IMG_9695LWJ1024.JPG
Lower WolfJaw Mountain had a wooded summit, but you could still see the area around and distant valleys and peaks.
IMG_9696e1024.JPG
Typical trail conditions, steep, rocky, wet, and mucky. Definitely a bit challenging at times, and made worse by carrying a full overnight pack.
IMG_9699_crop1024.jpg
First of many nice waterfalls in the area.
IMG_9710eHDR1024.JPG
Log bridges crossing picturesque streams.
IMG_9717e1024.JPG
Rainbow Falls, 150' high, is often a destination on its own. I'll have to return some day when I have more time to photograph it better!
IMG_9718e1024.JPG
Bridge across the Ausable River near the outflow from Lower Ausable Lake.
IMG_9721e1024.JPG
On the bridge looking Ausable River with part of Sawteeth Mountain in the distance.
IMG_9725HDR1024.jpg
Lower Ausable Lake, or perhaps this part is river, not sure.
IMG_9733e1024.JPG
Ausable Lake. The mountains flanking the lake to the left side are Mt Colvin and Blake peak, which I'll climb the next day.
IMG_9741-IMG_9743E1024.jpg
View from Indian Head lookout over Lower Ausable Lake. Colvin and Blake to the left, and Sawteeth and some of the Great Range to the right.
Well that's 10 pictures, I forget what the limit is, but need to take a break and mow the lawn anyhow. That just about wraps up day 1. More to come later...​

[SIZE=5][I][COLOR=#000000][U]Barefoot[/U][/COLOR][/I] PR's:[/SIZE] [B][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/B] [SIZE=5][B][B][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]1mi -[/COLOR][/B][/B][COLOR=rgb(153, 51, 0)][B][B] 05:38 [/B][/B](2018) [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][B]5k -[/B][/COLOR][B] 18:50...
View all 21 featured items
IMG_9751HDR1024.jpg
Another view from Indian Head, or perhaps Fish Hawk Cliffs I can't remember. The two are very close rock outcroppings and I visited them both close to sunset. The mountains in the background are The Great Range and the furthest one to the right in the distance I believe is Lower WolfJaw which I had climbed earlier that day.
IMG_9757-1024.JPG
Tent site the first night. That's my 1.6 lb Tarptent 'Notch'. It was almost hard to believe I had this site all to myself Sunday of the 4th of July weekend. The first site (there are 3 tentsites on this trail) had a dozen or so hikers.
IMG_20150706_094556COLVIN.jpg
I packed my good camera away for the ascent of Mt Colvin but snapped a couple cell phone pics on the way up. Some steep rock scrambles. This is where things get interesting! Luckily I left most of my gear at the tent and only had a lightweight pack.
IMG_20150706_094818COLVIN.jpg
Hanging out on top of the rock scramble for a bit. A nice view from here actually.
IMG_9758COLVIN1024.JPG
Made it to Mt Colvin!
IMG_9761COLVIN1024.JPG
View from Mt Colvin's summit. Not high enough to be completely out of the trees but still some great views were had.
IMG_9800COLVINcrop1024.JPG
Selfie from another rock outcropping about 100 yards away from the true summit.
IMG_9792E1024.JPG
On the trail to Blake Peak. Some more steep rock scrambles, this time with loose dirt and not so secure roots scattered about.
Unfortunately Blake Peak was mostly wooded, it is near the lowest of the 46 coming it at #45 on the list. There were some views through the trees but nothing that would come out well on camera. So I had to double back to the tentsite (including climbing over Colvin again), pack up and head out to the truck to the tentsite for the next hike.​
IMG_9815giant1024.JPG
The Ausable Club owns all the lower land in the area (and allows hikers to pass through to the trails) but between the parking lot and the trail head you have to walk the main road through the Ausable Club including some really nice houses and golf course. Here is Giant Mountain in the distance as seen from the road overlooking the golf course. Rocky Peak Ridge which I'll climb the next day is just on the other side of Giant.
Day1-2-1080.jpg
And here is a google Earth rendering of my first 2 days. Tentsite was at the marker that says 05-Jul 8:44PM. Every other peak identified in this picture I've climbed prior.
Well that takes care of the first 2 days. Here are some stats according to my Garmin Oregon GPS:​
Day 1:
14.4 miles​
4775' ascent / 3733' descent​
11:16 total time on GPS, 8:33 moving / 1.68 mph moving​
Day 2: (includes .9 mile hike into next campsite not shown above)​
11.9 miles​
3498' ascent / 4501' descent​
6:52 moving time / 1.75 mph​
I failed to mention so far that the mosquitoes were especially bad, presumably due to it being such a wet summer so far and the milder temps. I was moving slightly quicker than I would have had I not been being hunted by blood thirsty insects almost constantly! Well that's another 10 pics and wraps up day 2. I'll try to post about day 3 either later tonight or tomorrow...​

IMG_9825RNDPOND1024.JPG
Round Pond, were I setup camp the final night. Once again I got the campsite to myself and saw no one else on the hike in that evening or hiking out in the morning.
IMG_9982-1024.JPG
On the hike the third day, blueberries were plentiful! In fact near the very first viewpoints is a little hill known as Blueberry Cobbles. They were just starting to ripen but plenty were ripe already.
IMG_9990-1024.JPG
Starring at the incoming storm clouds.
That morning I heard on the radio in my truck on the way to the trailhead that there would be storms. I debated for a long while about cancelling and driving home, but the trail to Rocky Peak Ridge was suppose to have some of the best views in the Adirondacks. And I was already there so said what the heck. I wasn't staying the night so didn't have a heavy pack or gear (besides camera gear) to get wet. I took my rain jacket and waterproof hat. There was a group of 3 that headed in just before I did. At 2.5 miles in, just below Mason Mountain they had turned back. I'm not sure if the impending storm dissuaded them or if they had only intended to hike to Mason Mountain. We chatted briefly, seemed to be a mother and father and older teen daughter. He mentioned the forecast called for a clearing mid day and wished me luck. Unfortunately soon after we parted ways, and before I even reached the top of Mason Mountain, it started to rain. The trail and all the spectacular views disappeared into the clouds. I put on my rainjacket and bagged up all my photo gear. Forward I continued, hoping the clouds would eventually break up. After Mason mountain came Bald Peak, still raining and still zero visibility. I was pretty soaked. The trail narrowed and various plants encroached the path, which meant I got really wet below my rainjacket. But hey, at least I didn't have soggy socks inside hiking boots! That's the worse, especially if one has to continue hiking for many miles! Next up was Rocky Peak, and again none of the spectacular views its known for could be had. :sour:
IMG_9992MARYLOUISE1024.JPG
Mary Louise Pond, high atop the mountain ridge, in the col between Rocky Peak and Rocky Peak Ridge.
One thing I'll remember about this viewless trip was the many White-Throated Sparrows singing around Mary Louise Pond. They were magnificent! I tried to respond but am not to good of a whistler.​
IMG_9994RPR1024.JPG
And finally my destination for the day, Rocky Peak Ridge with its wonderful views in all directions, almost 7 miles in from the trailhead.
Unfortunately the weather never broke. I ate my lunch on the peak in a slightly sheltered spot (wasn't raining, more like wind driven mist at that point). Due to the length and all the other smaller peaks on the way, the ascent of Rocky Peak Ridge is actually greater than its height... the guide book lists its ascent at 4700' while its height is 4420'. My GPS recorded more ascent than that, but not sure how accurate it is. In any case, now I had the long journey back down. IMO, the descent is tougher and very tiring of the legs. And descending steeps can be dangerous. But back I went, about as fast as I could considering there were no views and besides getting all the way back to my car late, I had a 3 1/2 hr drive home. At one point it started to downpour, and luck would have it that I was coming up to two large overhanging rocks over the trail. Amazing coincidence. I also had cell phone reception here - the only day of the 3 that I did. I turned the phone on and pulled up the radar. Looked like it was a narrow band and would soon pass so I waited it out under the rock. 20 minutes or so later it calmed down and I was on my way again.​
IMG_9996HDR1024.JPG
Hallelujah the storms are beginning to clear! View of Mason Mountain from the trail as I was descending Bald Peak.
It was half way back when the storms began to clear so I missed most of the great views but I decided I didn't care how late I'd be I was going to enjoy what views I could still and got the camera out! With the delay waiting on the downpour, and time now spent with the camera I figured I wouldn't be back at the trailhead until 8:30PM :confused:.​
IMG_0012HDR1024.jpg
Another view towards Mason Mountain from a closer vantage point.
IMG_0022HDR1024.jpg
Looking back towards Bald Peak and the setting evening sun.
IMG_0029e1024.JPG
Still barefoot!
IMG_0032e1024.JPG
The storms produced a rainbow, and the touched down right over the trailhead actually! Just in case I lost my way I suppose!
RPR-labeled.jpg
Day 3's journey.
I was back to the truck right at 8pm. I really kicked it into high gear on the way back since I wanted to exit before it started to get dark. The last couple miles took forever, and the legs were really fatigued, though holding up ok. 3 days had definitely taken a toll. I didn't mention it prior but day one left me with a couple strains in my left leg, one in the hamstring around one of the two tough cords that can be felt behind the knee, and also strained were the shin muscle goes over the front of the ankle. They weren't bad, just enough to feel as I went along. I didn't stub my toes bad this time, but I did scuff the bottom of my foot hard a couple times when I didn't pick it up high enough over a rock. Sure there were a few times I ask myself if barefoot is really better but those rough sections aren't usually to long and overall I think it is so much better - at least during the warmer seasons!​
Day 3:
13.5 miles​
5291' ascent, 5318' descent​
8:02 moving / 1.75 mph​
Trip Total:
39.8 miles​
13,564' ascent, 13,552' descent (pretty darn close!) that's 4130 meters ascent for the rest of the world​
23:30 moving time​
Now have climbed 28 of the 46 high peaks. 11 of them barefoot.​
A fantastic time was had, even if most of the last day was in the rain, and all three days involved muck and mosquitoes. I plan on redoing Rocky Peak Ridge later, in nicer weather, and now have some experience on it at least. Might do it as a traverse continuing over Giant Mountain and to the road on the other side. And I've decided to go back to the Ausable Club area for a waterfall photoshoot again too, when I don't need to hike a mountain in the same day. What I'd really like to do is get another trip in to the mountains this year, but not sure if that will happen or not.​
TJ, I hope all these pics don't break the forum! :oops: I did try to forewarn readers in the title at least.​

Wow, so beautiful, I am so green with envy. :grumpy:
Living la vida loca-ah? Glad you had a fantastic time.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Great pictures Tristan, i can almost sense the ozone by those waterfalls and smell the musty forrest, wonderful.:)

The larger of the falls (Rainbow Falls) I was getting misted on from way back where I took the photo, felt wonderful. And the best smell in the world to me is the Balsam Fir in the higher elevations!

Insanely beautiful pictures! You are a great photographer! It must be so
Incredible to experience all that beauty in person.

I am sharing this on the home page. Thanks!

Tristan, beautiful pics. I too am an Adirondack hiker, although it's been about 6 years since I have done a high peak. I hiked most of them with my 2 kids as they were growing up, and with a good friend who introduced me to the area. I have done 30 of the High Peaks, the last one being Basin Mtn. All of these were done before my barefoot days. Your pictures brought back many, many memories for me. Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Insanely beautiful pictures! You are a great photographer!
Thanks!I still struggle with composition and some of the more advanced details but I'm learning. From my last trip in the mountains in '13 I learned even with a pretty good dSLR and good glass that the camera still doesn't have nearly enough dynamic range so this trip I started taking multiple exposures and blending them, like manual HDR (my camera doesn't have in-camera HDR like some do now). Its a lot of work afterwards on the computer but really helps produce pictures like what you really saw out there, as opposed to washed out skies and too dark areas. I also got a new lens mainly for this trip, a canon 10-22 which helped with all the wide angle shots and was smaller and lighter (albeit a slightly lower end lens compared to my 24-105L I used last time). I also got a good circular polarizer which helped in a few pics, and a light weight carbon fiber tripod (the little mini ultra-pod just wasn't useful enough).

Reminds me of many of the backpacking trips my parents took us on while growing up in Oregon. Very lovely to see all the photos. I will have to show my husband and see if he wants to visit the region "some" day...
Well if you ever get serious feel free to mention it and I'll give ya some tips, like avoid black fly season! But If I were you I'd probably hike out your way in the west!

Tristan, beautiful pics. I too am an Adirondack hiker, although it's been about 6 years since I have done a high peak. I hiked most of them with my 2 kids as they were growing up, and with a good friend who introduced me to the area. I have done 30 of the High Peaks, the last one being Basin Mtn. All of these were done before my barefoot days. Your pictures brought back many, many memories for me. Thanks for sharing...
Nice to know some others here are familiar with the Adk's. :) I started when I was ~10 yrs old. Was what we did for family vacations. Early on we focused more on the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and those I have not seen since '96. Still trying to introduce my son into the mountains, might go on an easier trip yet this year with him.

Nice pics! On the hikes where you weren't barefoot, what did you have on your feet?
My shod hikes were when I was younger, 15+ years ago. I used whatever hiking boots my parents bought me - for most of my childhood hikes they were just cheap department store hikers with the last pair a birthday present when I was around 20 or 21 (on my very last year hiking before the big decade long hiatus) being Raichle hikers that I still have to this day and still sometimes use for things around the house in winter: http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/kc2ebm/hiking_gear/IMG_4446_800.jpg